First DE shave

A place to learn and compare notes about the art of wet shaving.

First DE shave

Postby PJFourie » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:29 pm

Good evening guys. I hope you all had a great day.

Firstly: Bokke!!! Very well done and congratulations to our men in the green and gold.

Secondly: I had my first DE shave tonight. I finally ordered some gear from Jaco last week. What a pleasant experience! I want to say thank you to Jaco for his advice and assistance. I ordered a DE1, 250g boendoe shaving soap, boendoe boar brush, boendoe shampoo bar & soap bar and a shaving soap container. Jaco gave me 10 blades for free, thank you very much! Everything is great quality! I did 3 passes VERY slowly and still managed to cut myself . Was bleeding like pig . I must honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised. The three passes with the DE delivered a closer shave than two passes with the Dorco 6 blade, even my wife thinks so. I put some prep with a few drops of water on afterwards and my skin feels great, not burning and red like before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PJFourie

Re: First DE shave

Postby ShaverBBS » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:20 pm

PJFourie wrote:Good evening guys. I hope you all had a great day.

Firstly: Bokke!!! Very well done and congratulations to our men in the green and gold.

Secondly: I had my first DE shave tonight. I finally ordered some gear from Jaco last week. What a pleasant experience! I want to say thank you to Jaco for his advice and assistance. I ordered a DE1, 250g boendoe shaving soap, boendoe boar brush, boendoe shampoo bar & soap bar and a shaving soap container. Jaco gave me 10 blades for free, thank you very much! Everything is great quality! I did 3 passes VERY slowly and still managed to cut myself . Was bleeding like pig . I must honestly say that I was pleasantly surprised. The three passes with the DE delivered a closer shave than two passes with the Dorco 6 blade, even my wife thinks so. I put some prep with a few drops of water on afterwards and my skin feels great, not burning and red like before.

Well done on your first "proper" shave! You will get better and the chore will become a task that you enjoy and look forward to.
ShaverBBS

Postby PJFourie » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:13 pm

Thanks man. I’m really enjoying it. Tonight went much better, no blood . I think I can now confirm that the DE gives me a closer and more comfortable shave than the Dorco 6 blade. Much less skin irritation, but I think it’s also because of the soap.

PJFourie

Postby matthewoli98 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:36 am

Nice!

The secret to not cutting yourself with a de is maintaining the blade angle and remember to use absolutely no pressure!

Welcome to the world of wet shaving.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk
Matthew Olivier (aka matthewoli98)
Instagram-matthewoli98
Cell number-0788630709
matthewoli98

Postby matthewoli98 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:38 am

PJFourie wrote:Thanks man. I’m really enjoying it. Tonight went much better, no blood . I think I can now confirm that the DE gives me a closer and more comfortable shave than the Dorco 6 blade. Much less skin irritation, but I think it’s also because of the soap.

Soaps have much better slickness than shave foams, theyre better for your skin too, you can use left over soap residue as a face wash.

Soaps also last way longer, ive been wetshaving for a year and i haven't come close to using a full puck of soap.

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk
Matthew Olivier (aka matthewoli98)
Instagram-matthewoli98
Cell number-0788630709
matthewoli98

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:08 am

Great shave! As technique improves it will get better.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby dini » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:14 pm

ANother one bites the dust :mrgreen:

Great shave , and as the others have said , you will only get better over time .
dini

Postby JAYDEE » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:16 pm

PJFourie wrote:Good evening guys. I hope you all had a great day.

Lekker skeer my bru - you’re going to love it more and more every time! ;)

JEFF
JAYDEE

Postby Jock McSwart » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:00 am

Well done!

In modern times like now, you can learn almost anything by watching Youtube videos. I learned to shave with a straight razor and a DE, just by watching and following discussions on shaving forums.
Jock McSwart

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:21 am

Jock McSwart wrote:Well done!

In modern times like now, you can learn almost anything by watching Youtube videos. I learned to shave with a straight razor and a DE, just by watching and following discussions on shaving forums.
As with any new skill, there is a learning curve. Stick with it and it will become most rewarding.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Return to First Time Wet Shavers