Hi there from Scotland fellow shavers!

New to the Master Shave forum? Drop in, say hello and introduce yourself.

Hi there from Scotland fellow shavers!

Postby Jock McSwart » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:51 pm

Just a short introduction:

I am originally from South Africa, 51 years old, and have been living and working in Scotland for the past 12 years. I call it home now, and have had enough of the local brew to be at least half Scottish, therefore the nickname of Jock McSwart.

As far as shaving goes, started like most of my generation with cartridges and canned goo. Suffered through constant irritation and ingrown beard, until about 8 years ago when I started using a brush and real shaving soap. Big improvement, but about two years ago I got curious about straight razor shaving.

Because I didn't want to start with the whole strop and stone thing, I started with shavettes. Began with the standard half DE blade type and settled on the Dovo with the longer blades. Settled on that and kept it up for about a year before I took the plunge and bought my first straight razor. The rest, as they say, is history. I have been sharpening knives from an early age, but this is at a different level so it took a while to learn the skills to achieve and maintain a good edge. Happy to say I have learned what I needed to know and really enjoy my straights.

In between I have also "dabbled" in DE shaving for the days when I don't have the time for a straight razor shave. I am no expert in the DE department, but again I can get by.

Recently I decided to give the Feather SS a try, and I must say that next to a real straight, I enjoy it the most, and it's ideal for travel.

Happy to join you guys, hope I can make a contribution to making traditional shaving more popular.

Kind regards

Jaco Swart
Jock McSwart

Re: Hi there from Scotland fellow shavers!

Postby JAYDEE » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:56 pm

Welkom Jaco!

Ek is nie uit Suid Afrika nie maar uit Kanada!

(Originally from Israel, though!)

Geniet die forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JEFF
JAYDEE

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:23 am

Jock McSwart wrote:Just a short introduction:

I am originally from South Africa, 51 years old, and have been living and working in Scotland for the past 12 years. I call it home now, and have had enough of the local brew to be at least half Scottish, therefore the nickname of Jock McSwart.

As far as shaving goes, started like most of my generation with cartridges and canned goo. Suffered through constant irritation and ingrown beard, until about 8 years ago when I started using a brush and real shaving soap. Big improvement, but about two years ago I got curious about straight razor shaving.

Because I didn't want to start with the whole strop and stone thing, I started with shavettes. Began with the standard half DE blade type and settled on the Dovo with the longer blades. Settled on that and kept it up for about a year before I took the plunge and bought my first straight razor. The rest, as they say, is history. I have been sharpening knives from an early age, but this is at a different level so it took a while to learn the skills to achieve and maintain a good edge. Happy to say I have learned what I needed to know and really enjoy my straights.

In between I have also "dabbled" in DE shaving for the days when I don't have the time for a straight razor shave. I am no expert in the DE department, but again I can get by.

Recently I decided to give the Feather SS a try, and I must say that next to a real straight, I enjoy it the most, and it's ideal for travel.

Happy to join you guys, hope I can make a contribution to making traditional shaving more popular.

Kind regards

Jaco Swart
Welcome Jaco! Glad fo have you with us.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Jock McSwart » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:52 am

JAYDEE wrote:Welkom Jaco!

Geniet die forum!

Thanks Jeff

I think it's you that led me to this forum after I asked some questions about the South African shaving soaps on BB.

Looks like a nice bunch of guys here!

Where did you learn to speak Afrikaans?

Jaco
Jock McSwart

Postby JAYDEE » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:22 am

Jock McSwart wrote:
JAYDEE wrote:Welkom Jaco!

Geniet die forum!

Thanks Jeff

I think it's you that led me to this forum after I asked some questions about the South African shaving soaps on BB.

Looks like a nice bunch of guys here!

Where did you learn to speak Afrikaans?

Jaco

Is it me who got you here? I don’t think so!

I’m a member of B&B and my username there is JAYDEE just like here. A close personal friend from here in Montreal where I live is also a member there. :)

Yes, the guys here are very nice. I was very warmly welcomed when I joined up here in late 2017.

As I said I’m Israeli and my parents emigrated to Israel from Russia shortly after WW2. In addition to Hebrew, my first language I’m natively fluent in these following languages: (absolutely no bragging meant!)

Russian
Ukrainian
Polish
Arabic (six dialects)
French
German
Yiddish
Greek
Turkish
Hungarian
Swahili
Lingala

I can understand and converse decently in:

Romanian
Bulgarian
Macedonian
Serbian
Croatian
Czech
Slovak

I can read and understand:

Amharic
Tigrinya
Armenian
Farsi

My command of English has improved a lot although it’s still relatively weak compared to the other languages I speak. Because of the similarities between Afrikaans, German, and Dutch I was able to learn a decent Afrikaans!

JEFF
JAYDEE

Postby Jock McSwart » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:07 am

Wow!

That's a very diverse variety of languages you speak. I know there are some similarities between the Eastern European languages, even when some wouldn't like to admit it. I was married to a Russian woman and when I asked her if Ukrainian was similar to Russian she almost shouted at me "NO!"
I clearly understood from her reaction that it's not polite to compare Russian to anything else :oops:

You are right with the similarities between Afrikaans, Dutch and German, I can more or less understand Dutch and can read it easily.

I am still struggling to understand the local Scottish dialect after 12 years, it's not just an accent, they have many unique phrases and words, it's called Doric.
Jock McSwart

Postby JAYDEE » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:26 am

Jock McSwart wrote:Wow!

That's a very diverse variety of languages you speak. I know there are some similarities between the Eastern European languages, even when some wouldn't like to admit it. I was married to a Russian woman and when I asked her if Ukrainian was similar to Russian she almost shouted at me "NO!"
I clearly understood from her reaction that it's not polite to compare Russian to anything else :oops:

You are right with the similarities between Afrikaans, Dutch and German, I can more or less understand Dutch and can read it easily.

I am still struggling to understand the local Scottish dialect after 12 years, it's not just an accent, they have many unique phrases and words, it's called Doric.

Ukrainian uses the Cyrillic alphabet also with a couple of differences but a Russian can still read it quite easily. The pronunciation of the two languages is also similar and the vocabularies are around 75% mutually intelligible. Ukrainian also was very influenced by Polish and to a lesser extent, Croatian but overall a Russian and a Ukrainian can communicate fairly easily. My wife who is Israeli of Moroccan origin freaks out when she hears me speaking Russian - she says it’s impossible to learn. She also says it sounds very snobby but I actually think it’s a beautiful language when it’s spoken properly. Basically all the Slavic languages are quite easy to learn if you speak one. Just Bulgarian is significantly different. Again, it’s written in the Cyrillic alphabet but it’s much closer to Macedonian than to Russian. I find Afrikaans is much easier to learn than Dutch. Even the pronunciation is simpler than in Dutch.
JEFF
JAYDEE

Postby Jock McSwart » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:38 am

Interesting stuff, I just wish it was easier for me to learn more languages. Think you have to have an ear for it, much like understanding music. My ex gave up after a few futile attempts to teach me Russian. She lost me completely when she started explaining that in Russian objects can be male or female :?
Jock McSwart

Postby JAYDEE » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:52 am

Although Russian is a difficult language to learn there are others which are more difficult. Hebrew, Arabic, as well as Mandarin for example. Hungarian is another language which is extremely difficult because it’s not even remotely related to any of the Slavic, Romance, or Germanic languages. Even French is quite difficult compared to Spanish or Italian and all three of these languages are related. I can learn certain languages easily but others give me great difficulty - for example English. My written ability is very good and so is my reading ability but my English speaking ability is quite halting at times. Back in Israel I went to French private schools so as a result I mastered that language. We studied English also but back then my grades were terrible because I really didn’t pay much attention. :(
JEFF
JAYDEE

Postby Bundubeard » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:54 am

Welcome Mr McSwart! Nice to have some new 'international blood' on the forums.
Boendoebaard/Bundubeard

Kry daai boendoe van jou gesig af/Get that bundu off your face
Bundubeard

Postby lladets » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:02 pm

Jock McSwart wrote:Just a short introduction:

Kind regards

Jaco Swart

Welcome to the forum "Jock" Good to have you on board. I am probably one of the oldest members of the forum having recently turned 71. I have been wet shaving almost my whole life but only got into D/E shaving in 2015. I have been hooked ever since. I don't think I have the guts to attempt S/E shaving at this stage of my life...........afraid it will be drastically shortened?

Regards,
Brian
lladets

Postby Jock McSwart » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:25 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys.

What actually led me to this forum, was a discussion on B&B about South African Shaving soaps.

There was very high praise for the products offered by River Valley Trading and Bundubeard.

I was surprised at this because many years ago in South Africa, I read an article in a men's magazine about shaving the proper way. I got inspired and started looking for real shaving soaps and brushes, but was sadly disappointed because I couldn't find anything. Those were the days before Internet shopping. I was only upon arriving in the UK that I saw such supplies readily available in supermarkets. Until now I still had the impression that the traditional shaving culture was non-existent or limited to very few in South Africa.

I am delighted to see that it's making a comeback in South Africa, as I suspect is happening around Europe and the US.

Unfortunately the prices of postage and taxes to the UK from South Africa makes it unlikely to be worth it to order some of the products to try.

I will make a point of it to order some before I visit South Africa again, and bring it with me back to Scotland.
Jock McSwart

Postby JAYDEE » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:32 pm

It’s so expensive to send anything overseas even from here in Canada. What I find even more annoying is how the South African postal system works. It’s almost but not quite as bad as the Russian postal service. Corruption, corruption, corruption.

JEFF
JAYDEE

Postby Jock McSwart » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:42 pm

The I don't think I have the guts to attempt S/E shaving at this stage of my life...........afraid it will be drastically shortened?

Regards,
Brian[/quote]

Never too late to teach an old dog new tricks Brian :)

I do agree however, even at my age there are some folds and extra skin, that may pose some problems, if you are not careful. It also helps to have a steady hand and good eyesight, which is becoming more difficult without my glasses on.
Jock McSwart

Postby Jock McSwart » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:57 pm

JAYDEE wrote:It’s so expensive to send anything overseas even from here in Canada. What I find even more annoying is how the South African postal system works. It’s almost but not quite as bad as the Russian postal service. Corruption, corruption, corruption.

We are spoiled by Royal Mail here. Nothing special, it just works, every time, without fail.

When I arrived in Scotland from South Africa, I went to the licencing department to have my drivers license transferred to a UK one. I showed my South African license and passport, completed the forms, and the guy took both and said I will have my new license within 14 days.

I asked if I must come and pick it up, and he replied: "No I will mail it to you."

I was horrified, because in South Africa it would be a sure way to never see your license and passport again. He was amused at my reaction, but assured me that he can personally guarantee that it will not get lost.

Seven days later I had both delivered by the trusty "Postie" as we call the postal delivery guys here!
Jock McSwart

Postby JAYDEE » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:06 pm

Jock McSwart wrote:
JAYDEE wrote:It’s so expensive to send anything overseas even from here in Canada. What I find even more annoying is how the South African postal system works. It’s almost but not quite as bad as the Russian postal service. Corruption, corruption, corruption.

We are spoiled by Royal Mail here. Nothing special, it just works, every time, without fail.

When I arrived in Scotland from South Africa, I went to the licencing department to have my drivers license transferred to a UK one. I showed my South African license and passport, completed the forms, and the guy took both and said I will have my new license within 14 days.

I asked if I must come and pick it up, and he replied: "No I will mail it to you."

I was horrified, because in South Africa it would be a sure way to never see your license and passport again. He was amused at my reaction, but assured me that he can personally guarantee that it will not get lost.

Seven days later I had both delivered by the trusty "Postie" as we call the postal delivery guys here!

Yes, I received parcels from the UK quite fast and I’ve sent other parcels there with no complaints. Even Canada Post is known to be slow at times but overall the service is acceptable.

I know a couple of South Africans living here and they told me such horror stories about their country’s service in general. My wife has relatives in South Africa and they laugh at everything service wise - they keep saying “tomorrow’s another day!”

JEFF
JAYDEE

Postby Jock McSwart » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:16 pm

Bundubeard wrote:Welcome Mr McSwart! Nice to have some new 'international blood' on the forums.

Thanks Jaco

I had a look at your website, you have some nice shaving stuff at prices that are on par with what we pay here. I am just surprised that I don't see something local in the strops department. Something like Koedoe, Buffel or Mamba stops :lol:

I will surely acquire some of your shaving soaps on my next visit to SA.
Jock McSwart

Postby BLES » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:50 pm

Welcome Jock. :wave:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby dini » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:22 am

Welcom to the forum , Jock .
dini

Return to Introductions