Rockwell Chrome Series

Rockwell Chrome Series

Postby O_P » Mon May 15, 2017 10:15 am

I had a look at Rockwell on the weekend as their stainless steel razor has been getting very good reviews.

I then found that they have a chrome series razor with the same design that has been going through a crowd funding process (Indiegogo) and has just started shipping. They have 2 options 2C with only base plate 1 and 3 ( 2 sides of the same plate) for $25 including shipping or the 6C with all three base plates for $45 (incl shipping). Not sure how long it will be on crowdfunding before it moves for sale on their main site.

zi2nmgqpgf4vmcg3fjuy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
O_P

Re: Rockwell Chrome Series

Postby deepsouth » Mon May 15, 2017 10:24 am

looks neat - i've used crowdfunding before and would rather pay a higher price on an actual item and not possible vaporware. i received some of my funded things, but am still waiting on a $50 attachment that is outstanding - 3 years later... :oo
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby Jacquers » Mon May 15, 2017 10:47 am

I've read many good reviews about Rockwell. The flippable baseplate design is cool. The $45 options is quite tempting. There has to be an option that will work for you and not that expensive considering that you are basically getting 6 razors.

They also have an adjustable in the works called the Model T, also on Indiegogo.

I don't think the Rockwell will be vapor ware, but it does happen.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby O_P » Mon May 15, 2017 11:10 am

Jacquers wrote:I've read many good reviews about Rockwell. The flippable baseplate design is cool. The $45 options is quite tempting. There has to be an option that will work for you and not that expensive considering that you are basically getting 6 razors.

They also have an adjustable in the works called the Model T, also on Indiegogo.

I don't think the Rockwell will be vapor ware, but it does happen.

I also looked at the model T, there still seemed to be a fair amount of re-design happening. I think it is a very cool looking razor. I may consider it after their May update.

@Deepsouth, fully understand the risks associated with crowdfunding, only reason i put it up is that they have now commenced shipping these units and they are getting reviews on some other forums as well as being traded on BST.
O_P

Postby deepsouth » Mon May 15, 2017 11:34 am

Just looked at the model t video - very much Gillette adjustable - the 4 adjusting posts is what I wanted to see, and how they improved on it. Still looks familiar enough to me.

The chrome 3x flippable baseplate razor (6s?) does look cool and is cheap enough to consider. These baseplates should cover your mild to wild settings.
deepsouth

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon May 15, 2017 12:08 pm

I've also seen some fantastic reviews of the PAA stainless double open comb. Awesome looking razor.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Mikaar » Mon May 15, 2017 12:27 pm

The original model of the Rockwell 6S that was crowd funded all had problems that were discovered when received....so by the time it arrives here and if problems are discovered etc. It just seemed safer to me to wait for the normal production release and order that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mikaar

Postby Jacquers » Mon May 15, 2017 1:57 pm

Mikaar wrote:The original model of the Rockwell 6S that was crowd funded all had problems that were discovered when received....so by the time it arrives here and if problems are discovered etc. It just seemed safer to me to wait for the normal production release and order that

Valid point. And could happen again seeing that these are Zamak. Still very tempting ;)
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby Mikaar » Mon May 15, 2017 2:36 pm

Jacquers wrote:
Mikaar wrote:The original model of the Rockwell 6S that was crowd funded all had problems that were discovered when received....so by the time it arrives here and if problems are discovered etc. It just seemed safer to me to wait for the normal production release and order that

Valid point. And could happen again seeing that these are Zamak. Still very tempting ;)

Yeah it is. There shouldn't be as much risk this time since though, the 6S was their first razor. So they should have properly tested it this time before releasing. I have no faith in SAPO at all though. I've been waiting for over a month for a parcel to arrive from the Joburg hub, while it only took 6 days to reach Joburg from Budapest
Mikaar

Postby deepsouth » Mon May 15, 2017 2:43 pm

my realist/cynical view on crowdfunding; early adopters / backers share a few things with the "company" they buy into
+ marketing process
+ real world beta testing and longevity testing
+ first run production / manufacturing / defects tests
+ testing of warranty / claim / refund procedures
+ buying into an untried idea, with inexperienced processes and personnel
+ zero recourse on failed projects
effectively you become part of the initial processes that these projects run through, even if you have a tangible product at the end of it. years ago - you'd receive samples / test products - now you pay $'s to be part of the testing process.

Insult to injury; some projects are ripped off and manufactured cheaply elsewhere before the campaign ends (shutting it down - no refunds) and some destined to the verimark "type of product" heap if that's your thing
deepsouth

Postby O_P » Mon May 15, 2017 3:10 pm

deepsouth wrote:my realist/cynical view on crowdfunding; early adopters / backers share a few things with the "company" they buy into
+ marketing process
effectively you become part of the initial processes that these projects run through, even if you have a tangible product at the end of it. years ago - you'd receive samples / test products - now you pay $'s to be part of the testing process.

Insult to injury; some projects are ripped off and manufactured cheaply elsewhere before the campaign ends (shutting it down - no refunds) and some destined to the verimark "type of product" heap if that's your thing

Thanks for the views deepsouth.

Typically i am a late adopter as well, I allow someone else to be the beta tester. In this case the story of the business resonated with me, they had an abysmal launch with their first product 6s v1, they then wen out of their way to find a new production process which yielded a very good product and sent all of their backers a free replacement. This particular project (chrome series) was due for release in March but it was delayed when they product did not meet qc. i suppose this was a lesson learnt from their 1st project.
O_P

Postby O_P » Mon May 15, 2017 3:12 pm

O_P wrote:I had a look at Rockwell on the weekend as their stainless steel razor has been getting very good reviews.

I then found that they have a chrome series razor with the same design that has been going through a crowd funding process (Indiegogo) and has just started shipping. They have 2 options 2C with only base plate 1 and 3 ( 2 sides of the same plate) for $25 including shipping or the 6C with all three base plates for $45 (incl shipping). Not sure how long it will be on crowdfunding before it moves for sale on their main site.

Clarification on shipping, shipping will be via tracked dhl, charged at time of shipping (intl will be flat rate $20).
O_P

Postby deepsouth » Mon May 15, 2017 3:29 pm

I understand that it's not their first date and they seem to have learnt some valuable lessons with the 6s which is a good indicator, replacing the initial bad batch was also a good investment in customer service. I'm not dissuading (or trying to) anyone from hopping on this project. It's cheap enough too.
deepsouth

Postby Mikaar » Mon May 15, 2017 4:29 pm

deepsouth wrote:my realist/cynical view on crowdfunding; early adopters / backers share a few things with the "company" they buy into
+ marketing process

I also agree with your view to a degree, but you have to look at the other side of the coin. If it wasn't for crowd funding, projects like this wouldn't have happened at all, or not at the same scale. Rockwell could've made their 6S as one of those limited run razors that cost a few hundred dollars. Now, even though it is more expensive than the Progress or Variant, it still seems to be good value for money.

With regards to designs being copied, I'm surprised that the Merkur Futur copy is doing so well. I didn't expect such a cheap adjustable copy to be comparable to the original, when it's a tenth of the price.

Mikaar

Postby deepsouth » Mon May 15, 2017 7:39 pm

Crowdfunding projects are is essence good, many new companies exist because thereof (how did Rockwell start?) Pebble anyone? Naturally, Rockwell won't fail and is good value for money, it is a good platform to reach a limited wetshaving community taking risk out of the mix with definitive orders
I'm cynical when it comes to things like the Skarp and the likes, selling an idea and not having to back it up as long as indiegogo or kickstarter gets it's cut.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the- ... -shaving#/
deepsouth

Postby jegreen » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:08 pm

Nive review to compare the 6C to the 6S:

http://www.atgshaving.com/threads/rockwell-6c.4403/
jegreen

Return to Double Edged Razor Discussion