Vintage handle repair

Vintage handle repair

Postby jegreen » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:46 pm

Thursday afternoon during lunch work I planned to fix up some vintage handles that were in very poor shape. There was a Gillette Old Type ball handle that the previous owner had pretty much destroyed fixing and a Wardonia ball handle. As is typical with both there are splits in the brass handles at either end that loosened the neck and/or ball end. These 2 specifically had fallen off often while shaving so I had nothing to loose by fixing them. Reading up online had given me a good idea of what to do.

I went to the hardware store and got steel epoxy and looked for a 8 mm brass rod. Brass was quite pricy and I had to buy per metre so ended up with a readybolt threaded stainless steel rod. Measured off 39 mm as the desired length and cut it. Roughened up the razor parts and steel rod with a metal file and made up the steel epoxy. Put way to much epoxy onto the neck, all over the rod and on the ball end and pushed it into place. Used 2 clamps: one on the sides of the handle to close the crack and force the barrel to grip the new internal rod, and another clamp over the length on the neck and ball end to gently keep that in place. Clamps were a bit big for such a small job and think they didn't add to much value.

So the idea was to grip the split internally onto the rod and that would hopefully stop it running further in future. Still need to get some sandpaper to clean up the excess that squeezed out, but I'm pretty happy with the end result. The extra 11 grams weight in the handle is also a bonus and looking forward to trying out the razor again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jegreen

Re: Vintage handle repair

Postby Jacquers » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:07 pm

Nice work :thumbup:
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby Chrisvo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:40 pm

Nice job jegreen!
Chrisvo

Postby BLES » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:57 am

:thumbup: :clap: :clap:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby Thug » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:28 am

Great repair job!
Thug

Postby jegreen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Thanks everyone. Difficult choice to change something original, but in the end it's improved the razor in every way and it would otherwise never get used again.
jegreen

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:50 pm

Nice work JeGreen! :thumbup:
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Return to Double Edged Razor Discussion