FaTip Piccolo

FaTip Piccolo

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:01 pm

Paul Humphries did very nice shave video with the Fatip Piccolo. Notice how he chopped himself up a bit goign against the grain on the upper lip. For me, this razor is even more aggressive than the Muhle R41. As he says, to be treated with respect (nad a feather light touch).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4lnoIJDeNI

:thumbup:
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Re: FaTip Piccolo

Postby Jacquers » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:55 pm

The Fatip can be quite a beast, but can be tamed with another top cap which reduces the blade exposure.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby Chrisvo » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:01 pm

That's a few times now he's had some bad weepers on the mustache area with the Piccolo. I chalk it up to him over shaving. Too much buffing, if I did what he does on his moustache and neck, I would have irritation galore. I prefer comfortable DFS which edge very close to BBS compared to BBS shaves that can be rather rough when done every shave.
Chrisvo

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:41 pm

Chrisvo wrote:That's a few times now he's had some bad weepers on the mustache area with the Piccolo. I chalk it up to him over shaving. Too much buffing, if I did what he does on his moustache and neck, I would have irritation galore. I prefer comfortable DFS which edge very close to BBS compared to BBS shaves that can be rather rough when done every shave.

I agree with you ChrisVo. I think he over does it a bit. I always say a good shave should leave a white towel unblemished.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby jegreen » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:53 pm

I got myself a Piccolo from RVT in the week and it's lived up to all expectations. I've found a longer handle on another razor that also works on it so I can try both options but really wanted the solid weight of the Piccolo handle.

Shaved really well with it and handled very much like a R41. But I did have the worst case of alum sting afterwards that I've every had and could still feel it the next day. Went from a Tech to using the Fatip and think I used way to much pressure. So you do need to adjust your shaving style when jumping to it.
jegreen

Postby deepsouth » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:58 pm

I love my piccolo, but prefer the R41 - personal preference. Having said that, I think it's time to take bella fatip out of the cupboard...
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby dini » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:19 am

I do like my Fatip Piccolo . The stubby , heavy handle is the ideal for me . Even after a year of using mine , I am still very careful .
dini

Postby Thug » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:56 am

When I first started using the FaTip, I was highly critical of it as I always seemed to end up with blood all over my face.

Once I got the angles dialled in, the blood letting stopped.

RVT, kindly gave me the the remnants of his FaTip Grande after I broke a tooth off my top cap, so I now have both the Piccolo & Grande handles.

Then I discovered straights and the FaTip was packed away.
Thug

Postby BLES » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:28 am

I tried the iKon SE handle on the Fatip. Mistake of the year. The weight and length of the handle transferred the Fatip in a total monster! It is definitely a razor not to under estimate...
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby jegreen » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:28 am

Very nice that the iKon is pretty much the only handle that works on the Fatip. I've used my Fatip twice now and it went much better the second time (used lots of Prep!). I find it a bit rougher to use and end result is still not close to a R41.

Interesting bit of history considering that the Fatip is always compared to the R41:

2013 R41 - One that some us use and if it works for you then it's pretty much the perfect razor. Less blade exposure than 2011 version.
2011 R41 - The original toothcomb. Marketed as designed for "practiced wet shavers...allowing vigorous shaving technique"
2009 R41 - Very mild and same open comb head as Merkur 41C.
2008 R41 - Fatip head

Dates might be slightly out and I think the 2008 was also called the R89?
jegreen

Postby dini » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:34 am

BLES wrote:I tried the iKon SE handle on the Fatip. Mistake of the year. The weight and length of the handle transferred the Fatip in a total monster! It is definitely a razor not to under estimate...

I also made that same mistake with the Fatip and the iKon handle .

The Pearl OC head , while slightly better required a very , very light touch . :oo
dini

Postby Mikaar » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:47 pm

Bit of a newbie question, but how does the weight of the handle affect the aggressiveness of the razor? I understand that it'll change the balance of the razor, but won't the aggressiveness still depend on blade gap or blade angle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mikaar

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:52 pm

Mikaar wrote:Bit of a newbie question, but how does the weight of the handle affect the aggressiveness of the razor? I understand that it'll change the balance of the razor, but won't the aggressiveness still depend on blade gap or blade angle?

IMO it changes the weight distribution which not only affects the blance, but also teh feel of the razor in the hand. A heavier razor requires less pressure because you can just let the weight of teh razor do teh work.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Mikaar » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:06 pm

Ohh okay. Thanks Mohamed

Mikaar

Return to Double Edged Razor Discussion