Minora Bakelite

Minora Bakelite

Postby jegreen » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:22 pm

If anyone can shed some light on the history of this razor it would be appreciated. Quite a few online for sale but nothing about when it was manufactured. It appears to be a standard design that a couple of manufacturers put their label on. Only 1 broken hinge and otherwise in excellent condition. The razor has a very old Minora blade in, much older type than the pack in the box.

I wasn't expecting much and I was in for a real surprise. First thought the razor was just pushing the lather out the way and then saw the stubble in the water. Smoothest shave I've had by a mile! Felt like it was doing nothing, but was mowing everything off. It made me completely overconfident and I went for a 4 pass shave. My neck had quite a few weepers and in hindsight should have stopped at 3! But 12 hours later my skin still felt BBS and this razor takes a starring role in my rotation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jegreen

Re: Minora Bakelite

Postby Chrisvo » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:11 pm

I have the Gillette version. Indeed a smooth shaver. Made during the 1940s. War times so bakelite was used as a substitute for brass.

Minora was a company that was brought out by Gillette either in the late 1920s or early 1930s that produced their own razors and blades; and Gillette continued to use their name for razor and blade marketing, especially in South Africa. It's generally called a bakelite Tech, other company names used are Rubie, Nacet, 7 o'clock and probably others I just can't think of.

The 7 o'clock version is quite rare and comes in green bakelite rather than brown.
Chrisvo

Return to Double Edged Razor Discussion