Wardonia Sheffield razor

Wardonia Sheffield razor

Postby jegreen » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:32 pm

I picked up this razor the weekend. There is very little info online, and most people talk about Bakelite versions. It looks like one of the early ones made by the company. There is a crack near the top of the handle that makes things a bit loose, but otherwise in very good shape.

Only identifying marks are "Wardonia Sheffield" on the ball end and "Made in England" on the head. The handle looks brass and the base plate is a nice heavy chunk of chromed brass. Not sure about the cap.

Shaving with it was interesting. Any blade fits but there is no alignment, so had to eyeball it from the top and loosen and tighten a few times to get the edges looking straight. On my first attempt I very quickly realised that shaving angle needs to change. It starts to cut at like 60 degree angle already, but as I've grown more confident with it I've got it down to about 45 degrees. It has great auditory feedback and it's given me the most irritation free shave that I've had to date. The low cap height makes it a breeze to shave under my nose.

But once rinsing after my 2nd pass XTG I found out why the irritation was non-existent - very far away from BBS and really not a close shave at all.

Really love the razor (my first open comb shave) but I just think it's designed for a different razor blade geometry. Or I must keep adjusting technique to find what works better for it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jegreen

Re: Wardonia Sheffield razor

Postby Jacquers » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:44 pm

Looks like a Gillette Old Type clone and those usually shave well. Try playing with the angle. Or try to shim it.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:49 pm

Very cool old razor there Jeff. The old ones did have a lot of blade play. Always double check that the reveal is even and straight on both sides. (this should be done for all razors)

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby jegreen » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:06 pm

Never imagined that a razor could be shimmed! This razor has such a great feel and sound when shaving, so will keep trying. The shave is improving each time, but still far of any other razor that I've used.
jegreen

Return to Double Edged Razor Discussion