Lets Talk Adjustables

Moderator: Clouds

Revelation Reglable

Postby Clouds » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:06 pm

The Revelation is a mostly bakelite razor.
Its one that I recently found out about and also short on available information.
The base plate looks very similar to that of a Bohin and I guess that its from around the same time - so late 1930's onwards. Its also from France. The tin, including the inserts are pressed metal.

WOW this is one seriously interesting razor. Its actually two razors in one. The base plate is flipable, but with a difference.

If you use the one side - it has two rails that are spring loaded. Loosening and tightening up the handle adjusts the blade gap. It has a line indicator on the handle but there are no corresponding indicator marks on the base plate so in order to get repeatability one would need to count the number of turns.

If you flip it over and use the other side, its a differential head razor with two different blade gaps and has:
BARBE DURE - Hard Beard
BARBE DOUCE - Soft Beard
to indicate which side is which.

How does it shave:
First off, I do find it a bit light and may need to add more pressure than I am used to doing.

Using the "Adjustable" side
Its a very mild shaver, I ended up opening it around two turns and still only ending up with a DFS

Using the "Differential" head side
Firstly, I can't figure out what the designer had in mind, having a differential head and an adjustable in one. It is a great piece of shaving memorabilia though.
This side of the plate is an even milder shaver to the point of it been close to unusable for me. I did 5 passes and still only ended up with a satisfactory shave. This side needs to be revisited using a brand-spanking new Feather blade.

Revelation_Al.jpg

EDIT 2021/01/03: Updated post with the differential review.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clouds

Re: Lets Talk Adjustables

Postby Jacquers » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:00 am

Very cool looking razor 8-) It's amazing how many design variations there are just for DE razors.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:35 pm

Nice one Clouds! :)
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:53 am

Jacquers wrote:Very cool looking razor 8-) It's amazing how many design variations there are just for DE razors.

Thanks Jacques.
Certainly some very simple designs to some complex ones

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Nice one Clouds! :)

Thanks RVT
Clouds

Re: Revelation Reglable

Postby dini » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:50 pm

Clouds wrote:The Revelation is a mostly bakelite razor.
Its one that I recently found out about and also short on available information.
The base plate looks very similar to that of a Bohin and I guess that its from around the same time - so late 1930's onwards. Its also from France. The tin, including the inserts are pressed metal.

WOW this is one seriously interesting razor. Its actually two razors in one. The base plate is flipable, but with a difference.

If you use the one side - it has two rails that are spring loaded. Loosening and tightening up the handle adjusts the blade gap. It has a line indicator on the handle but there are no corresponding indicator marks on the base plate so in order to get repeatability one would need to count the number of turns.

If you flip it over and use the other side, its a differential head razor with two different blade gaps and has:
BARBE DURE - Hard Beard
BARBE DOUCE - Soft Beard

How does it shave:
First off, I do find it a bit light and may need to add more pressure than I am used to doing.

Its a very mild shaver, I ended up opening it around two turns and still only ending up with a DFS

I will update this in due course

Revelation_Al.jpg

Very interesting looking razor. The mix of bakelite and metal is intriguing. Wonder why the use of bakelite at all ?
dini

Re: Revelation Reglable

Postby dappershaves » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:14 pm

dini wrote:
Clouds wrote:The Revelation is a mostly bakelite razor.

BARBE DURE - Hard Beard
BARBE DOUCE - Soft Beard

How does it shave:

I will update this in due course

Revelation_Al.jpg

Very interesting looking razor. The mix of bakelite and metal is intriguing. Wonder why the use of bakelite at all ?

The use of bakelite is purely to reduce production costs and improve profits. They clearly took a page out of Gillette’s playbook in this regard.

The adjustable collection of Claudio is impressive to say the least. Nice one Clouds!
dappershaves

Postby Clouds » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:20 am

dini wrote:Very interesting looking razor. The mix of bakelite and metal is intriguing. Wonder why the use of bakelite at all ?

I do like the "two-tone" look myself.
Your post reminded me that I hadn't used the differential gap side, so I did so today and updated the post.

dappershaves wrote:The use of bakelite is purely to reduce production costs and improve profits. They clearly took a page out of Gillette’s playbook in this regard.

The adjustable collection of Claudio is impressive to say the least. Nice one Clouds!

What he said and also to reduce weight - but most "innovation" is done to boost company profits
Thanks Jacques
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:13 pm

Strivel Adjustable

This little oddity comes all the way from Sweden. Strivel is apparently a word-play. The first part of the word comes from the Swedish word for Strap which is "Strigel" and the second part comes from "Rakhyvel" which translated is razor - So "Strap Razor" OR "Honing Razor"

Its made of pressed metal and has "RostFritt Stal" stamped at the top of the handle. The handle is a diamond knurled hard plastic sleeve. Its a one piece razor that the top flips open. The blade tray has a spring arrangement to hold the blade in place.

So how do you strop it? Insert the blade and close the top, extend the mechanism and run it up and down a few times and its supposed to hone the blade? When you work the mechanism it runs the blade from side to side, honing the upside of the blade on the upstroke and visa-versa.

It was patented in Sweden back in 1949

When you do find them they mostly are non-adjustable

This is it with its very cool and unique case.

Strivel 1.jpg

The top portion of the picture shows it open and ready to accept a blade. The "adjuster" plate is the thing that moves from side-to-side when you work the mechanism. The little tab on the right is spring loaded (referred to above). The bottom of the image shows the mechanism extended open.

Strivel 2.jpg

Other end of the razor and a close up of the adjustment dial. The adjustment dial is back to front. 4 is the smallest gap and 1 the largest.

Strivel 3.jpg

How does it shave
I've been expecing it so have kept a "old" blade aside just to test it.
Firstly, what does the stropping mechanism do - I don't believe very much.

Considering that it was a well used blade its actually a pretty decent shaver. I started it on 4 and soon dialed it down to 2. It was a bit tuggy but a 2pass gave me mostly a BBS but missed some spots. A third pass probably would have cleaned them up. Next time I will feed it a newer blade.

What is unusual is that it sounded "tinny" for want of a better word, which I guess is a result of it been made of pressed metal.

EDIT 19/01/21: I revisited this on Sunday with a Wizamet SI on its third use and it is an excellent shaver.

SOTD 210113.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:23 am

Wow. Ive never seent hat one before. Very cool.
:thumbup:
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:17 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Wow. Ive never seen that one before. Very cool.
:thumbup:

Thanks RVT. Me as well, it was offered to me. :D Was a split second decision :D
Clouds

Postby dini » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:39 am

This thread is delivering in spades.

Yes another razor that I have never heard about before. Great collection you have there, Clouds.
dini

Postby Clouds » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:49 pm

dini wrote:This thread is delivering in spades.

Yes another razor that I have never heard about before. Great collection you have there, Clouds.

Thanks & thanks Dini
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:57 pm

Parker Adjustable Injector Razor

New from Parker - Their injector. It takes the standard Injector blades (kudos to them for doing that).

It was the hot new razor late last year and the first batch was sold out within hours. When they started arriving the reviews were basically that it was way too mild and quite a number of them found their way onto various "Sell Threads".

No prizes for guessing where the design comes from - just look at Page 7 of this thread.

Parker1.jpg

Onto my thoughts.....
I know that I am in the minority here but I personally prefer this Adjustment dial to that of the Pal.
I can only really fault the finish in two places and that is underneath, just under the head where the edge is bent over, Parker could have given those edges a better finish and the plastic part of the handle could do with a bit more grip.

Overall finish, at its price point, I think that it's a pretty good deal.

Parker2.jpg

How does it shave.
Firstly I managed to get some Chinese Schick blades with it, which are supposed to be the bees-knees so I "Injected" one of them.

I started it on 2 and it might as well be closed so I immediately dialed it up to 5. I did 3-Passes at 5, shallow angle, steep angle and still only ended up with a DFS. Even at 5 this is no BBS shaver.
I personally think that Parker missed the trick on it - they should have given it more Grrrr.

If you are looking for a mild injector shaver that you can pretty much use blindly - this is probably the one for you.

Sotd210127.jpg
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:53 pm

Nice review and pictures Clouds.

As you say It's a pty it's not more aggressive. I found teh same with lter model Schick injectors from the 70's . Too mild to get a good shave.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:34 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Nice review and pictures Clouds.

As you say It's a pty it's not more aggressive. I found teh same with lter model Schick injectors from the 70's . Too mild to get a good shave.

Thanks RVT. My Schick M Adjustables are aggressive in comparison.
Anyway - it leaves me more to shave off today, Watch this space...........
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:59 am

Archdale

Just by looking at this you would be correct in guessing "Art Deco - around the 30's".
It was made by the Archdale Co in New York, NY.
Its completely made of brass. The black and red lines are painted and are in surprisingly good shape considering that they are around 90years old. There is a fair bit of brass in the head because of the wave feature and it also has a thin-ish handle so it feels a little head heavy.

Archdale1.jpg

It has two "very different" features.
Firstly its an adjustable angle razor with three positions - Normal, Slant and Kamisori.
To change the angle, you undo the bottom knob, tilt the head and re-tighten the knob. If you are wondering why the one post is protruding, its because in the kamisori position the little protrusion fits into a corresponding hole in the handle (as can be seen in one of the images below), I would guess as a safety feature.

Archdale2.jpg

Second feature is the Wavy blade (mentioned above) which effectively changes the blade gap.
The top of the head says "ONCE OVER SHAVE" and "CLOSE SHAVE" and as you can see, its an open comb design.

Archdale3.jpg

Archdale4.jpg

How does it shave
First shave with it was in the "Normal" position.
I started WTG using the "ONCE OVER SHAVE" side - it cleared a fair bit of the stubble. I would consider this side middle of the road.
For the AGT pass, I used the "CLOSE SHAVE" side and it is pretty aggressive. It cleaned up the rest for a BBS.

SOTD210128.jpg

I'll update this post when I use it in the other positions.
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:15 pm

Great shave Clouds.

Very cool razor there!

Also, more La Toja stock coming soon.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby dappershaves » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:03 pm

Awesome thread Claudio, I think we should be calling you Mr. Adjustable!
dappershaves

Postby Clouds » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:13 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Great shave Clouds.

Very cool razor there!

Thanks RVT

dappershaves wrote:Awesome thread Claudio, I think we should be calling you Mr. Adjustable!

Thanks Jacques.
If I'm Mr. Adjustable, you must be Mr. Straight, great posts in the Straights section :bow
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:18 am

Rocnel Sailor 2020

Another typical Rocnel Adjustable. It's very well made and comes in stunning packaging. Like its predecessors, the head follows the "sailor cap" shape but is made deeper and thus is also heavier. Rocnel keep upping their game with each new version. There is nothing that I can really add to that.

Sailor01.jpg

It's the heaviest Sailor to date, so no need for pressure - let the weight of the razor do the work.

Sailor02.jpg

How does its shave?
In aggression it sits between the two previous versions and in my humble opinion its the best shaver of the Sailor series, to date.

SOTD210212.jpg
Clouds

PreviousNext

Return to Double Edged Razor Discussion