Lets Talk Adjustables

Moderator: Clouds

Re: Lets Talk Adjustables

Postby Clouds » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:13 am

Rocnel Sailor 1

This is Rocnels (Murat) first adjustable on his own. Sailor 1 and 2 are identical except for the adjustment dial. The first version had a brass adjustment dial and this the second has it in stainless steel.

Typical Rocnel, big, chunky and heavy. Its handle is shorted which I think suits it perfectly. It was designed for use with Feather blades and shaves from mild to aggressive.

How does it shave?
It's a great shaver, just let the weight do the work. I used it with a Wizamet this morning.

sotd200719.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:38 am

Clouds wrote:Rocnel Sailor 1

This is Rocnels (Murat) first adjustable on his own. Sailor 1 and 2 are identical except for the adjustment dial. The first version had a brass adjustment dial and this the second has it in stainless steel.

Typical Rocnel, big, chunky and heavy. Its handle is shorted which I think suits it perfectly. It was designed for use with Feather blades and shaves from mild to aggressive.

How does it shave?
It's a great shaver, just let the weight do the work. I used it with a Wizamet this morning.

sotd200719.jpg

Nice shave Clouds! :)
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby dini » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:12 pm

Clouds wrote:Rocnel Sailor 1

How does it shave?

sotd200719.jpg

That razor looks good Clouds .

What are the effects of using any other blade besides a Feather ?
dini

Postby Clouds » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:05 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Nice shave Clouds! :)

Thanks RVT

dini wrote:That razor looks good Clouds .

What are the effects of using any other blade besides a Feather ?

Thanks Dini ... I agree and JMHO here, I think that its amongst the best looking modern DE's

Only one effect. Feathers are thinner than the Wizamet's so Instead of the adjustment starting at "0" it starts off at about a "half".
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:27 am

Parker Variant

The Parker Variant is one razor that I have never really managed to come to grips with. As a beginners "new adjustable" razor, there is not much out there that competes. I've considered shortening the handle on my original many times, but have never done the deed. So when the shortened one came up on a BST, I was interested. I made an offer which was accepted and I ended up with what I consider a great deal.

The short Variant was cut down by North Shore Razors and given a Gunkote treatment.

How do they shave:
I did back to back shaves with them hence the two images. If I take my time with them and open them to somewhere around 4/5 I end up with a shave pretty close to a BBS. The shortened version, I feel has a better balance to it. I don't believe that the Gunkote itself makes any difference to the shave, Its really cosmetic.

Yes - I've stated this before, I do prefer shorter handles.

SOTD200721.jpg

SOTD200722.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:53 am

Clouds wrote:Parker Variant

The Parker Variant is one razor that I have never really managed to come to grips with. As a beginners "new adjustable" razor, there is not much out there that competes. I've considered shortening the handle on my original many times, but have never done the deed. So when the shortened one came up on a BST, I was interested. I made an offer which was accepted and I ended up with what I consider a great deal.

The short Variant was cut down by North Shore Razors and given a Gunkote treatment.

How do they shave:
I did back to back shaves with them hence the two images. If I take my time with them and open them to somewhere around 4/5 I end up with a shave pretty close to a BBS. The shortened version, I feel has a better balance to it. I don't believe that the Gunkote itself makes any difference to the shave, Its really cosmetic.

SOTD200721.jpg

SOTD200722.jpg
Wow, that's a nice conversion. I keep my Variant on 3.5. It works the best for me.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby lladets » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:26 am

Morning all,
I am also in favour of short handles. I have just purchased a Mercur 34C which has become my favourite razor even over my Rockwell 2C with the #3 baseplate.
The smoothest shaves I have had since starting my journey into wet shaving in 2015. :old
lladets

Postby Heinrich » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:34 am

How do they shave:

I really love my Variant,fits my hand like a Glove & the weight and shave it gives is unrivaled by anything made by Gillette or Bic/Shick made in todays modern world,i also guess it's: Different strokes for differnt folks :o::: :D

SOTD200721.jpg

SOTD200722.jpg
Heinrich

Postby Heinrich » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:35 am

I really love my Variant,fits my hand like a Glove & the weight and shave it gives is unrivaled by anything made by Gillette or Bic/Shick made in todays modern world,i also guess it's: Different strokes for differnt folks :o::: :D
Heinrich

Postby Clouds » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:12 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Wow, that's a nice conversion. I keep my Variant on 3.5. It works the best for me.

Thanks RVT. That's the beauty of adjustables.

lladets wrote:I am also in favour of short handles.

I'm glad to see that I'm not in the minority.

Heinrich wrote:I really love my Variant,fits my hand like a Glove & the weight and shave it gives is unrivaled by anything made by Gillette or Bic/Shick made in todays modern world,i also guess it's: Different strokes for differnt folks :o::: :D

Its generally a 50/50 toss-up between the Variant and the Progress at this price level. My preference up to now was the Progress but that could be because of the shorter handle. The short Variant did surprise me so I'll be doing some back-2-back shaves with the two shorter razors in the future.
Clouds

Postby Heinrich » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:53 am

Clouds wrote:
RiverValleyTrading wrote:Wow, that's a nice conversion. I keep my Variant on 3.5. It works the best for me.

Thanks RVT. That's the beauty of adjustables.

lladets wrote:I am also in favour of short handles.

I'm glad to see that I'm not in the minority.

Heinrich wrote:I really love my Variant,fits my hand like a Glove & the weight and shave it gives is unrivaled by anything made by Gillette or Bic/Shick made in todays modern world,i also guess it's: Different strokes for differnt folks :o::: :D

Its generally a 50/50 toss-up between the Variant and the Progress at this price level. My preference up to now was the Progress but that could be because of the shorter handle. The short Variant did surprise me so I'll be doing some back-2-back shaves with the two shorter razors in the future.

i fully agree for me it was the most bang for buck i spended as i was looking for a well cared for Gillette adjustable,but not having luck finding one here locally the ones abroad's prices scares me :o :shock:
Heinrich

Postby Clouds » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:20 am

Just Rasoir

What a suitable name for an adjustable - Just.

It looks and shaves like an Old Type until you look under the hood. Remember the Old Type advert mentioned on Page 1 by @Jacquers - Well some clever Frenchman thought to put some notches to "lock" it into a setting. The old blades were thicker and had more spring in them, so you could literally have 12 settings on it but with the current blades only the first 3 have a positive click.

I can't find anything anywhere on this, so if anyone can shed some light here, please do so.

How does it shave:
Just like an Old Type - Great

SOTD200725.jpg
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:43 am

L'Essor Le Supreme

The L'Essor Le Supreme, with its industrial/steampunk design is IMHO one of the best looking razors around. It's extremely "head heavy". The adjustment mechanism pushes the safety bars downwards and out in a scissors like action.

A very strange anomoly with it is that it has different blade gaps per side. Per the instructions - start on the lower setting for the first pass and then turn the razor around on the more open side for the second pass.

A bit about L'Essor. The original design was a Hol Pif. Hol Pif were bought out by L'Essor and who in turn were bought out by Gibbs. There were a few L'Essors but this was their only adjustable (that I am aware of)

How does it shave:
Even at its most open it's a mild shaver.
I generally use mine with the topcap the "wrong" way around. It evens out the gaps.

SOTD200726.jpg
Clouds

Postby dini » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:23 am

How do they shave:

SOTD200721.jpg

SOTD200722.jpg

That is a very tasty modified version.
dini

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:50 pm

Clouds wrote:Just Rasoir

What a suitable name for an adjustable - Just.

It looks and shaves like an Old Type until you look under the hood. Remember the Old Type advert mentioned on Page 1 by @Jacquers - Well some clever Frenchman thought to put some notches to "lock" it into a setting. The old blades were thicker and had more spring in them, so you could literally have 12 settings on it but with the current blades only the first 3 have a positive click.

I can't find anything anywhere on this, so if anyone can shed some light here, please do so.

How does it shave:
Just like an Old Type - Great

SOTD200725.jpg

Very interesting clouds. Fascinating razor.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:34 pm

dini wrote:That is a very tasty modified version.

Thanks dini - You also like shorter handles, if you ever get a Parker, do this, you won't regret it.

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Very interesting clouds. Fascinating razor.

Thanks RVT.
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:59 pm

Brillant De Luxe

These hail from a town called Zella-Mehlis in East Germany and were made between the 60's and early 80's. Its a one piece. The topcap and adjusting plate are chrome plated (I have no idea whats under the chrome) and the adjustment/tto knob is aluminium. The rest of the razor is plastic. The handle has ridges moulded into it and is extremely non-slip without been aggressive. Its has the same sort of lather channels that the Erfa/Progress has but also has drain holes in the bottom.

How does it shave.
This is no BBS shaver. The adjustment mechanism is pretty limited and its a very mild shaver. I find that it needs a sharper blade and then I end up with a DFS.

SOTD200728.jpg
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:11 pm

Triton R3

This is the last of my DDR razors.

The adjustment mechanism is similar to the Brillant but it they have added a spring-loaded blade rest. The TTO knob doubles as the adjustment dial but there are no markings on it. Its carry case is the same as the Brillant.

They don't seem to be particularly well made. The doors are thin and tinny and other than the base plate, the rest of the razor is plastic.

According to what I have read online, they were pricey for the DDR and as a result they didn't sell too many. Couple that to the fact that a lot of East German products landed on the scrap heaps after the fall of the wall and there are no markings on the razor at all, they are not too easy to find. Their nickname is "Das Phantom" on German forums

Just one more thing. Its cleaned up well, but this must have be one of the dirtiest razors that I have ever received. A fair bit of soaking, lots of scrubbing and something that I very rarely will do to a vintage razor and that is polish it on a buffing wheel - I polished the doors.

How does it shave:
One shave in and I believe that it shave is the best of the DDR razors. I fiddled with settings and found that it goes from mild to just under aggressive. One gripe is that without the markings I think that its going to be difficult to get repeatibility - lets see.

SOTD200801.jpg
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:20 pm

KryTyk

This adjustable has it all - gap and angle.

It has PAT D JULY 18.1911 stamped underneath. It was manufactured by the Jones Razor & Mfg Co in Kansas City, Mo.

Angle adjustability is by way of a circular piece on the head and a handle/clamp arrangement. It can be used from normal 90deg to 180deg like a shavette.
Gap adjustability is done by pulling the little piece of bent wire underneath (Left bottom image - Little wire piece sticking out), which in turn pulls the comb downwards. Its either open or closed - nothing in between.
Both ideas are simple, but they work.

Not much else is known about it - so feel free to jump in if you have some more info.....

How does it shave:
I don't have an original blade, and used a modified Artist Club blade with a spacer.
I've ended up with a DFS, but it was some work getting there. I also kept switching the slant from left to right and back again each time that I switched sides of my face. I found that I preferred it in "T" mode.
All in all a very interesting experience.

SOTD200731.jpg
Clouds

Postby dini » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:57 pm

Clouds wrote:KryTyk

This adjustable has it all - gap and angle.

It has PAT D JULY 18.1911 stamped underneath. It was manufactured by the Jones Razor & Mfg Co in Kansas City, Mo.

Angle adjustability is by way of a circular piece on the head and a handle/clamp arrangement. It can be used from normal 90deg to 180deg like a shavette.
Gap adjustability is done by pulling the little piece of bent wire underneath (Left bottom image - Little wire piece sticking out), which in turn pulls the comb downwards. Its either open or closed - nothing in between.
Both ideas are simple, but they work.

Not much else is known about it - so feel free to jump in if you have some more info.....

How does it shave:
I don't have an original blade, and used a modified Artist Club blade with a spacer.
I've ended up with a DFS, but it was some work getting there. I also kept switching the slant from left to right and back again each time that I switched sides of my face. I found that I preferred it in "T" mode.
All in all a very interesting experience.

SOTD200731.jpg

I dont think I have ever seen this razor before. Looks like a weapon a spy would carry ;)
dini

PreviousNext

Return to Double Edged Razor Discussion