Lets Talk Adjustables

Moderator: Clouds

Re: Lets Talk Adjustables

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sat May 30, 2020 10:45 am

Clouds wrote:Gillette Fatboy

After testing, this is what Gillette commercially released as their first adjustable in 1958. I'm pretty much going to repeat what I've said previously.

They give a decent shave so long as I use them on max or just under with a newish to new blade - JMHO.

These are both E2's 1959/Q2 - Totally unintentional. Both have been refurbished, the Chrome one Anel and the other Cerakoted by Delta Echo. Neither were commissioned by me and both are in great shape.

Gillette Fatboy.jpg

SOTD200530.jpg
Wow they look great. I find the same with the slim adjustable. Maybe it's just me but I only use it on 7, 8 or 9.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Sun May 31, 2020 9:27 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Wow they look great. I find the same with the slim adjustable. Maybe it's just me but I only use it on 7, 8 or 9.

Thanks RVT - no it's not you at all. They are mild shavers.
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Sun May 31, 2020 9:30 am

Apollo Mikron

It is one of the older adjustables and goes back to the early 50's. There are three generations, the first is a extremely rare, the second and third look pretty much the same and not too difficult to get albeit at sometimes silly prices. This one is a second generation so from somewhere between 1951 and 1958. When I received it, it was jammed up with soap scum and it took a fair bit of work to get it working. Its highly sought after and yes its an excellent shaver.

Its downside is that you need to clean it pretty regularly otherwise it jams up.

The Merkur Progress has its origins here (and has the same downside).

SOTD200531.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun May 31, 2020 10:44 am

Clouds wrote:Apollo Mikron

It is one of the older adjustables and goes back to the early 50's. There are three generations, the first is a extremely rare, the second and third look pretty much the same and not too difficult to get albeit at sometimes silly prices. This one is a second generation so from somewhere between 1951 and 1958. When I received it, it was jammed up with soap scum and it took a fair bit of work to get it working. Its highly sought after and yes its an excellent shaver.

Its downside is that you need to clean it pretty regularly otherwise it jams up.

The Merkur Progress has its origins here (and has the same downside).

SOTD200531.jpg
Very nice Clouds!

This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:57 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Very nice Clouds!

Belated thanks RVT
An icon coming up...
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:01 am

Gillette Toggle

Toggle's are probably the most recognisable of the Gillette Adjustable family. It was developed and introduced as the Super Adjustable in the mid 1950's and was produced for one year. These are the serial toggles. It was re-introduced in Q1 of 1958 and then again as Q4 in 1960. This one is a F4 which is the most common of them.

The toggle itself is both its most recognisable and weakest point. Market research also found that men preferred to twist open the razor and I guess couple that with the weak mechanism you can understand why it was dropped.

SOTD200606.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:19 am

Barbaros & Rocnel Adjustable

A collaboration between Barbaros and Rocnel and let loose on us in late 2016. It's big, chunky and heavy which is typical Rocnel. It was designed to be used with a Feather blade and adjusts from Mild to Aggressive.

Its made of 316L Stainless Steel. The adjustment mechanism is similar to the Merkur 800 series and is "continually" adjustable. You could in theory use any handle with an M5 thread with it.

Today I used a Wizamet SI and it works great as well.

SOTD200607.jpg
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:17 pm

Clouds wrote:Barbaros & Rocnel Adjustable

A collaboration between Barbaros and Rocnel and let loose on us in late 2016. It's big, chunky and heavy which is typical Rocnel. It was designed to be used with a Feather blade and adjusts from Mild to Aggressive.

Its made of 316L Stainless Steel. The adjustment mechanism is similar to the Merkur 800 series and is "continually" adjustable. You could in theory use any handle with an M5 thread with it.

Today I used a Wizamet SI and it works great as well.

SOTD200607.jpg

Nice one Clouds! :)
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:25 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Nice one Clouds! :)

Thanx RVT
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:57 pm

The Bottom-Dial.

Gillette called it the Gillette 195 Adjustable Razor, same as the FatBoy. It has been nicknamed the Bottom Dial or Bottom Dial Fatboy. This one is an F4 (1960 Q4) and was the only Bottom Dial that was ever offered commercially for a massive $1.95.

The initial Bottom Dials were only prototypes and they were sent out for feedback. The adjuster dials were numbered up to 5 with half notches between them. The feedback was that men preferred the adjuster dials at the top.

It has the same head as the F4 Toggle so the shave is the same although I prefer the balance of the Bottom Dial.

SOTD200613.jpg
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:10 pm

Clouds wrote:The Bottom-Dial.

Gillette called it the Gillette 195 Adjustable Razor, same as the FatBoy. It has been nicknamed the Bottom Dial or Bottom Dial Fatboy. This one is an F4 (1960 Q4) and was the only Bottom Dial that was ever offered commercially for a massive $1.95.

The initial Bottom Dials were only prototypes and they were sent out for feedback. The adjuster dials were numbered up to 5 with half notches between them. The feedback was that men preferred the adjuster dials at the top.

It has the same head as the F4 Toggle so the shave is the same although I prefer the balance of the Bottom Dial.

SOTD200613.jpg
Wow, you don't see many of those around. Great find.

This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:04 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Wow, you don't see many of those around. Great find.

Thanks RVT.
At one time it was rumored to be between 50 and 60, but they come up every couple of months. For a razor supposedly so rare, that's quite a bit, so I suspect that there are probably more than we think. I'm not sure if Gillette did something different here but its TTO is so smooth when compared to my other TTO Gillette adjustables.
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:06 am

The Indiana

This oddball comes from Indiana Fabrieken, The Hague, Holland.

The head is tilt adjustable and actually has three different angled positions. The tilt angles are different on each side. Everything about it looks thick and chunky and its not a well made razor - but is interesting. The handle is hollow and has a styptic pencil.

It also has a hard rubber under the top cap. This one was perished and was falling apart so I made up a nylon curved plate to replace the rubber. It feels like its a dual-sided head, the one side is more aggressive than the other. I need to relook at the plate that I made and see if I have done anything wrong here.

How does it shave?
I started in the extreme tilt position and caught a nick on the second stroke, which was the more aggressive side, so I took it back to center for the rest of the shave. In that position it gave me a nice BBS.

SOTD200614.jpg
Clouds

Postby dini » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:13 am

My SOTD was with my one and only adjustable . The Mergress .

Nothing much to say about this razor that has not been said on countless forums and reviews. A smooth , well adjusted razor that pairs well with almost any blade. For this shave I started out on 5 for the first pass and went down to 3 for the next two passes . My five day stubble was no match .

I would much prefer a short handle though . This is my only long handle razor and I do have to be very careful on how I hold it .
dini

Postby dini » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:15 am

Clouds wrote:The Bottom-Dial.

SOTD200613.jpg

Another fantastic condition vintage, Clouds :thumbup:
dini

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:32 pm

Clouds wrote:The Indiana

This oddball comes from Indiana Fabrieken, The Hague, Holland.

The head is tilt adjustable and actually has three different angled positions. The tilt angles are different on each side. Everything about it looks thick and chunky and its not a well made razor - but is interesting. The handle is hollow and has a styptic pencil.

It also has a hard rubber under the top cap. This one was perished and was falling apart so I made up a nylon curved plate to replace the rubber. It feels like its a dual-sided head, the one side is more aggressive than the other. I need to relook at the plate that I made and see if I have done anything wrong here.

How does it shave?
I started in the extreme tilt position and caught a nick on the second stroke, which was the more aggressive side, so I took it back to center for the rest of the shave. In that position it gave me a nice BBS.

SOTD200614.jpg

Wow! very cool and unique razor :)
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:33 pm

dini wrote:Image

My SOTD was with my one and only adjustable . The Mergress .

Nothing much to say about this razor that has not been said on countless forums and reviews. A smooth , well adjusted razor that pairs well with almost any blade. For this shave I started out on 5 for the first pass and went down to 3 for the next two passes . My five day stubble was no match .

I would much prefer a short handle though . This is my only long handle razor and I do have to be very careful on how I hold it .

Great shave and awesome looking razors there dini. I like your window sill picture :)
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:32 pm

dini wrote:My SOTD was with my one and only adjustable . The Mergress.

You also get along better with shorter handles.
Great review - Great Pic Dini.

dini wrote:Another fantastic condition vintage, Clouds :thumbup:

Thanks Dini

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Wow! very cool and unique razor :)

Thanks RVT
Clouds

Postby dini » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:49 am

Clouds wrote:
dini wrote:My SOTD was with my one and only adjustable . The Mergress.

You also get along better with shorter handles.
Great review - Great Pic Dini.

dini wrote:Another fantastic condition vintage, Clouds :thumbup:

Thanks Dini

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Wow! very cool and unique razor :)

Thanks RVT

I do indeed much prefer the shorter handles . I am tempted to get a Mergress short handle or the Rex Ambassador in the near future . The Rex at Bundubeard has been calling me for a while now .
dini

Postby Clouds » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:39 am

dini wrote:I do indeed much prefer the shorter handles . I am tempted to get a Mergress short handle or the Rex Ambassador in the near future . The Rex at Bundubeard has been calling me for a while now .

The Rex is the better made razor by far, but IMHO the Progress is a better shaver.
However I do need to clarify that I have a M-Series Rex and it is somewhat "draggy". From reports it has been sorted in the N and more so in the O-Series.
Clouds

PreviousNext

Return to Double Edged Razor Discussion