Lets Talk Adjustables

Moderator: Clouds

Re: Lets Talk Adjustables

Postby Clouds » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:37 am

Taiga Adjustable

Made in Mother Russia by Homelike shaving, I believe that its the best "all rounder" of the current adjustables. Its based on a Gibbs, made of Stainless Steel and takes standard blades. Overall its a very well made razor. The laser engraving is a little difficult for my ageing eyes to see.

It comes with a 90mm handle and the two base plates shown in the insert.The Solid Bar is the more comfortable shave while the Open Comb is the more effecient.

The Handle in the picture is a self made 78mm and in line with what I prefer.

How does it shave:
Short answer - extremely well.
As I said earlier, I believe it to be the best all-rounder of the "current" adjustables. On the low to middle settings with the SB base plate its a comfortable everyday shaver. If you need a bit extra dial it up or swop base plates. I generally keep the open comb base plate in it as its the only OC adjustable that I own.

SOTD200616.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:59 am

Clouds wrote:Taiga Adjustable

Made in Mother Russia by Homelike shaving, I believe that its the best "all rounder" of the current adjustables. Its based on a Gibbs, made of Stainless Steel and takes standard blades. Overall its a very well made razor. The laser engraving is a little difficult for my ageing eyes to see.

It comes with a 90mm handle and the two base plates shown in the insert.The Solid Bar is the more comfortable shave while the Open Comb is the more effecient.

The Handle in the picture is a self made 78mm and in line with what I prefer.

How does it shave:
Short answer - extremely well.
As I said earlier, I believe it to be the best all-rounder of the "current" adjustables. On the low to middle settings with the SB base plate its a comfortable everyday shaver. If you need a bit extra dial it up or swop base plates. I generally keep the open comb base plate in it as its the only OC adjustable that I own.

SOTD200616.jpg
Wow, I've seen the Homelike razors and always wondered about them. Handle looks good.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:23 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Wow, I've seen the Homelike razors and always wondered about them. Handle looks good.

Thanks on the handle RVT.
The initial run was 100 and are sold out. I think that I have seen two on the various BST's, so they must be pretty well thought of by most owners. The rumor is that they will release another run in September.
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:09 pm

Gillette Slim

The Gillette Slim Adjustable razor was sold from Q3/1961 (G3) until Q4/1968 (N4). With It's less "domed" head, different knurling and a longer slimmer handle it was touted as the "new improved" adjustable. There were a couple of very minor design changes in its lifespan. Its not as popular as its more well known ancestor but IMHO is the better shaver.

It was also during the Slims lifespan that the famous "The Spoiler" blades were introduced and a 2-Pak was included with the razor from Q4/1965.

SOTD200620.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:12 pm

Clouds wrote:Gillette Slim

The Gillette Slim Adjustable razor was sold from Q3/1961 (G3) until Q4/1968 (N4). With It's less "domed" head, different knurling and a longer slimmer handle it was touted as the "new improved" adjustable. There were a couple of very minor design changes in its lifespan. Its not as popular as its more well known ancestor but IMHO is the better shaver.

It was also during the Slims lifespan that the famous "The Spoiler" blades were introduced and a 2-Pak was included with the razor from Q4/1965.

SOTD200620.jpg

Nice one Clouds!
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:01 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Nice one Clouds!

Thanks RVT
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:02 pm

Davis Rythmic Razor

JMHO - This is one of the coolest looking vintage razors. It was made in Glasgow, Scotland and patented in early 1936.

To load the blade you twist the bottom knob, the bottom plate lowers and then rotates 90degrees so that you can load the blade onto it (See the insert). Reversing the action pushes the blade upwards, flexes it and thereby giving it's rigidity. There is "sort of" a dial just above the TTO knob that you adjust and then you tighten the TTO knob against it, so repeatability is there albeit hard to see with my ageing eyes. In order to adjust it the TTO knob has to be loose.

Its not a razor that I use on auto-pilot. There is a lot of blade feel, audio feedback is very loud and its a excellent shaver.

SOTD200621.jpg
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:10 pm

Clouds wrote:Davis Rythmic Razor

JMHO - This is one of the coolest looking vintage razors. It was made in Glasgow, Scotland and patented in early 1936.

To load the blade you twist the bottom knob, the bottom plate lowers and then rotates 90degrees so that you can load the blade onto it (See the insert). Reversing the action pushes the blade upwards, flexes it and thereby giving it's rigidity. There is "sort of" a dial just above the TTO knob that you adjust and then you tighten the TTO knob against it, so repeatability is there albeit hard to see with my ageing eyes. In order to adjust it the TTO knob has to be loose.

Its not a razor that I use on auto-pilot. There is a lot of blade feel, audio feedback is very loud and its a excellent shaver.

SOTD200621.jpg

Wow! Very cool razor.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:31 pm

The Schick Type M

This was the only adjustable razor injector that Schick produced and it was sold between 1965 and 1972.
It's really a "L" series with an adjustment dial. They produced 3 different generations of them. This is a M3 so the third generation and would have been made between 1968 and 1972. (Schick didn't date their razors)

SOTD200627.jpg
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:06 am

Gillette Super Adjustable 84

This was the adjustable that came after the Slim and the first of the Black Beauty series.

It was introduced in Q3/1984 (N3) and was sold up to Q2/1975 (V2). The handle is made of Aluminium and is apparently coated with a resin. Like its predecessors it also adjusts from 1 to 9. This one is a T4 so Q4/1973 and is IMHO my best shaver of the Gillette Adjustables.

SOTD200628.jpg
Clouds

Postby dini » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:55 pm

Clouds wrote:The Schick Type M

This was the only adjustable razor injector that Schick produced and it was sold between 1965 and 1972.
It's really a "L" series with an adjustment dial. They produced 3 different generations of them. This is a M3 so the third generation and would have been made between 1968 and 1972. (Schick didn't date their razors)

SOTD200627.jpg

Does this use the injectors blades ?
dini

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:09 pm

dini wrote:
Clouds wrote:The Schick Type M

SOTD200627.jpg

Does this use the injectors blades ?
Yes it does. By all accounts the adjustable injector never shaved quite right.

This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:00 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Yes it does. By all accounts the adjustable injector never shaved quite right.

I don't have a Schick Injector that I can compare it to but I had my Mingoose planned for today - so wanted to use it and compare before commenting.

On its low settings, you are right that it's too mild. I turn it up past 6 and its shaves fine. I used it on "7" on Saturday and its was just as good as my Mingoose was today.
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:45 pm

Clouds wrote:
RiverValleyTrading wrote:Yes it does. By all accounts the adjustable injector never shaved quite right.

I don't have a Schick Injector that I can compare it to but I had my Mingoose planned for today - so wanted to use it and compare before commenting.

On its low settings, you are right that it's too mild. I turn it up past 6 and its shaves fine. I used it on "7" on Saturday and its was just as good as my Mingoose was today.

Thanks for the info Clouds.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:17 am

Wizamet W-11

We know that this comes from Lodz in Poland. The factory was initially built by Wilkinson Sword in the late 1960's and they probably also designed the first razors.
Officially this is the J 25 TTO model. There is a second version, the same razor but the handle has corrugations on it. Unlike most other adjustables, once the doors are closed you can longer adjust it.

They also produced the Wizamet line of blades

How does it shave:
Its a mild shaver on the lower settings but gets reasonably aggressive on the higher settings.

SOTD200702.jpg
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:38 am

Clouds wrote:Wizamet W-11

We know that this comes from Lodz in Poland. The factory was initially built by Wilkinson Sword in the late 1960's and they probably also designed the first razors.
Officially this is the J 25 TTO model. There is a second version, the same razor but the handle has corrugations on it. Unlike most other adjustables, once the doors are closed you can longer adjust it.

They also produced the Wizamet line of blades

How does it shave:
Its a mild shaver on the lower settings but gets reasonably aggressive on the higher settings.

SOTD200702.jpg

Wow, great shave and information there Clouds. This looks like a rare one.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:06 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Wow, great shave and information there Clouds. This looks like a rare one.

Thanks RVT.
These are not too difficult to find.
There is also a W-10 which is less common. Every time that I have seen one there seems to be something more important to get.
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:13 pm

Gillette Super Adjustable 105
(Metal Base Black Beauty)

This was introduced in 1969, a year after the Super Adjustable 84. Some market research must have been done which showed that people wanted a longer handle. Its identical to the 84mm version

except for the longer handle. It was initially called the Super-109 to differentiate it from the 84mm version.

How does it shave:
I prefer the 84mm version but for intents and purposes it shave is the same.

SOTD200704.jpg
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:08 pm

Clouds wrote:Gillette Super Adjustable 105
(Metal Base Black Beauty)

This was introduced in 1969, a year after the Super Adjustable 84. Some market research must have been done which showed that people wanted a longer handle. Its identical to the 84mm version

except for the longer handle. It was initially called the Super-109 to differentiate it from the 84mm version.

How does it shave:
I prefer the 84mm version but for intents and purposes it shave is the same.

SOTD200704.jpg
Great shave!

This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:36 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Great shave!