Lets Talk Adjustables

Moderator: Clouds

Re: Lets Talk Adjustables

Postby dini » Thu May 14, 2020 9:55 am

Clouds wrote:Erfa Rasant

The Erfa Rasant comes from the German Democratic Republic. Visually they look rough and ready, no-nonsense razors. Looking at them, they have been heavily influenced by the Apollo / Merkur Progress and they operate in the same way.

The Hex handle one is the older version. The top is cast in Zinc, the top cap is chrome plated, the adjusting plate is a dull aluminium look finish and the bottom plate is finished in what looks like a hammered paint finish but actually feels smooth. It has holes in the bottom of the lather channels. The handle is cast and finished in the same finish as the bottom plate and the twist knob looks like it could be stainless steel.

The round handle version is the later version. The head is the same arrangement as the older version but they changed the geometry of the topcap. There are no holes in this ones lather channels (same as the Progress). The handle is aluminium and the twist-knob is plastic, I guess in order to cut costs.

How do they shave: Somewhere between a DFS and a BBS. I found them similar with the newer version edging it very slightly. I believe that some blade experimentation will be in order.

So easily identifiable as a progress knock off yet also manages to look like something that was churned out by me using my Standard 5 Metal working skills .
dini

Postby Clouds » Thu May 14, 2020 5:55 pm

dini wrote:So easily identifiable as a progress knock off yet also manages to look like something that was churned out by me using my Standard 5 Metal working skills .

Absolutely. Totally utilitarian look.
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Fri May 15, 2020 1:20 pm

Le Coq Licence Palmer

By the name, lets guess - Made in France!! There is not much known about these. Some say the 30-early 40's, others say later?? There are a few versions, this is the 105 and is made of Zamak. It has a spring in the centre that holds the tension in the blade. It works OK'ish but means that as you towards the outer edges there is less and less blade support. Another anomaly with it is that it has no drainage so needs to be rinsed often.

They are extremely mild shaves, so much so that in order for me to get a decent shave I need to use a newish blade and open it up to its widest, which is exactly what I did this morning for my DFS.

Clouds

Postby Clouds » Sat May 16, 2020 1:11 pm

Pacific Model 100

Another Tilt adjustable razor. It's the same ball-joint arrangement as the other two in my collection. They are surprisingly not an easy find. This one has a differential head, but practically speaking there is not much difference between each side. The guards are also rollers and are two different colours to indicate which side is what.

The handle is made of aluminium and is hollow. They either came with a Styptic pencil or a set of Nail Clippers. This one has the nail clippers. I used it in "Slant Mode" today. Its a mild shaver so don't expect a BBS out of it...

SOTD200516.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sat May 16, 2020 4:14 pm

Clouds wrote:Pacific Model 100

Another Tilt adjustable razor. It's the same ball-joint arrangement as the other two in my collection. They are surprisingly not an easy find. This one has a differential head, but practically speaking there is not much difference between each side. The guards are also rollers and are two different colours to indicate which side is what.

The handle is made of aluminium and is hollow. They either came with a Styptic pencil or a set of Nail Clippers. This one has the nail clippers. I used it in "Slant Mode" today. Its a mild shaver so don't expect a BBS out of it...

SOTD200516.jpg

Very cool tilt razor there Clouds. The head reminds me a lot of the head on Stahly Live vibrating razors.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Sat May 16, 2020 5:13 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Very cool tilt razor there Clouds. The head reminds me a lot of the head on Stahly Live vibrating razors.

Thanks RVT.
Now that you mention it - it does look similar to a Stahly, but that's where the similarity ends. The Stahly head is far more advanced than with its "shock absorber/suspension" system.
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Sun May 17, 2020 12:56 pm

Brillant DeLuxe

Yes thats the correct spelling.
These are very recent additions and are the last of my DDR razors. They were made from the 60's to the early 80's in a town called Zella-Mehlis. The topcap and adjusting plate are chrome plated and the adjustment/tto knob is aluminium. The rest of the razor is plastic. There are ridges moulded into the plastic handle and its extremely non-slip (Very nice). Its has the same sort of lather channels that the Erfa/Progress has, but they have added drain holes in the bottom.

How does it shave.
It was my first time out with one. I used the sliver-knob version and switched between 2 and 3 and ended up with a very good DFS.

SOTD200517.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun May 17, 2020 7:51 pm

Clouds wrote:Brillant DeLuxe

Yes thats the correct spelling.
These are very recent additions and are the last of my DDR razors. They were made from the 60's to the early 80's in a town called Zella-Mehlis. The topcap and adjusting plate are chrome plated and the adjustment/tto knob is aluminium. The rest of the razor is plastic. There are ridges moulded into the plastic handle and its extremely non-slip (Very nice). Its has the same sort of lather channels that the Erfa/Progress has, but they have added drain holes in the bottom.

How does it shave.
It was my first time out with one. I used the sliver-knob version and switched between 2 and 3 and ended up with a very good DFS.

SOTD200517.jpg
Nice shave and write up there Clouds.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Mon May 18, 2020 1:53 pm

The Rockwell 6S or 6C razors are marketed as adjustable. Fliping the bottom plate could be adjustable ah-la Bohin but changing it is not IMHO. This one is the Stainless Steel version and is a bit top-heavy and is built like a tank. I generally use the number 4 plate.

They were the in-vogue razor a few years back. Make no mistake they are excellent razors and would serve most of us quite sufficiently.
There is a tendancy today in going with bigger blade gaps and a while back there was a rumour that a 7/8 plate was going to be released. My personal opinion is that Rockwell has missed a trick in not offering them.

The question of what version to get - The zamak/chrome version is apparently a bit smoother but has a reputation for the thread stripping while the stainless steel version will last more than a lifetime but is a bit draggy. Some people polish the stainless version and apparently it smooths things up substantially. Mine has been cerakoted and it has helped with the drag somewhat. The plates have also been colour coded from light to dark.

SOTD200518.jpg
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue May 19, 2020 8:44 am

Clouds wrote:The Rockwell 6S or 6C razors are marketed as adjustable. Fliping the bottom plate could be adjustable ah-la Bohin but changing it is not IMHO. This one is the Stainless Steel version and is a bit top-heavy and is built like a tank. I generally use the number 4 plate.

They were the in-vogue razor a few years back. Make no mistake they are excellent razors and would serve most of us quite sufficiently.
There is a tendancy today in going with bigger blade gaps and a while back there was a rumour that a 7/8 plate was going to be released. My personal opinion is that Rockwell has missed a trick in not offering them.

The question of what version to get - The zamak/chrome version is apparently a bit smoother but has a reputation for the thread stripping while the stainless steel version will last more than a lifetime but is a bit draggy. Some people polish the stainless version and apparently it smooths things up substantially. Mine has been cerakoted and it has helped with the drag somewhat. The plates have also been colour coded from light to dark.

SOTD200518.jpg

Insteresting writeup thre Clouds.

I've never used the Rockwell, but I've heard generally positive things about the razors. I'm not a fan of switching out the base plates ,but I suppose it is something that you could get used to.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby dini » Tue May 19, 2020 8:57 am

Clouds wrote:The Rockwell 6S or 6C razors are marketed as adjustable. Fliping the bottom plate could be adjustable ah-la Bohin but changing it is not IMHO. This one is the Stainless Steel version and is a bit top-heavy and is built like a tank. I generally use the number 4 plate.

SOTD200518.jpg

I am also not a fan of having to flip out base plates during a shave ( way to much admin) but I do like the look of that razor ? As RVT has said though ,the Rockwell does receive almost universal praise so I am clearly in minority camp .

Did you have the cerakoting done locally ?
dini

Postby Clouds » Tue May 19, 2020 12:53 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Insteresting writeup thre Clouds.

I've never used the Rockwell, but I've heard generally positive things about the razors. I'm not a fan of switching out the base plates ,but I suppose it is something that you could get used to.

Thanks RVT

dini wrote:I am also not a fan of having to flip out base plates during a shave ( way to much admin) but I do like the look of that razor ? As RVT has said though ,the Rockwell does receive almost universal praise so I am clearly in minority camp .

Did you have the cerakoting done locally ?

I must be really having a bad shave for me to consider flipping plates and an even worst one to consider swopping them.
I believe that the way to use the razor is pick your number and shave with it. I shave everyday and I try and alternate between aggressive and non-aggressive razors or settings, so this could be an everyday user for me just by alternating or flipping the plates.

The praise that it used to get is deserved, Its an excellent razor. However I think that two things have dented Rockwells reputation, the mess with their Model T and the threads stripping on the "C" version and I think that has cost them. Also people move onto the next good thing, don't they.

@Dini - Yes the Cerakoting was done locally.
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Sat May 23, 2020 1:16 pm

Schick Krona Adjustable.

There are at least three patents on this razor, all filed in 1965, one granted in 1966/07 and the second in 1967/02 and the third in 1968/01, so at one point Schick must have considered competing in the DE adjustables market.

Its branded a Schick as can be seen under the TTO/Adjuster knob and from what I can gather, this logo was used around 1965-7. This was a prototype that never got to market. Other than the Schick under the TTO knob, there are no other manufacturers markings anywhere on the razor, which would be further evidence of this.

The TTO knob doubles as the adjuster as well. In order to open it, you dial it past 9 and a spring mechanism pops the doors open. When the doors are open the numbers are covered. In order to close it, you pull the TTO knob down and rotate.

How does it shave: Hey guys its a Krona, they were made to be great every day shavers - This one is no different.

Krona02.jpg

Krona01.jpg

Krona03.jpg

sotd200523.jpg
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sat May 23, 2020 1:19 pm

Awesome shave adn a very cool razor! I've heard of the Crona adjustable , but had not seen one until your shaves. Thanks for sharing Clouds! :clap:
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Sun May 24, 2020 11:49 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Awesome shave adn a very cool razor! I've heard of the Crona adjustable , but had not seen one until your shaves. Thanks for sharing Clouds! :clap:

Thanks RVT
Its extremely rare. From what I can see, currently there are about four known examples of them. The big razor companies were and still are all about selling blades plus this would be more costly to manufacture and add the fact that normal Krona is a great everyday razor - this didn't add too much to the pot, I can see why it didn't go ahead.
I'm just extremely happy that I snagged this one..
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Sun May 24, 2020 11:57 am

Merkur Progress

Merkur started selling the Progress in 1955. These are the 500 seeries. It has gone through various changes but the design has remained essentially unchanged. The early ones had a plastic bottom plate with a zamak adjuster plate.

The vintage Progress below is from around the late 1950's - early 1960's. Firstly the adjuster knob is white versus a cream colour. Its also has a more plastic in the shaft. The numbers are painted red and begin at 0 (as opposed to 1). The shave is the same as the newer 500. The font underneath is also different

The next image shows the two current editions plus the vintage..

Progress02.jpg

Progress01.jpg

SOTD200524.jpg
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun May 24, 2020 1:00 pm

Very nice Clouds! :clap:
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby dini » Tue May 26, 2020 9:20 am

Thats a very nice vintage Progress , Clouds .

Looks almost unused by the previous owner,

Reminds me that I should dig out my long handle Mergress and try and get to grips with it .
dini

Postby Clouds » Tue May 26, 2020 11:10 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Very nice Clouds! :clap:

Thanks RVT

dini wrote:Thats a very nice vintage Progress , Clouds .

Looks almost unused by the previous owner,

Reminds me that I should dig out my long handle Mergress and try and get to grips with it .

Thanks Dini, It was lightly used.
Please post a review and some images of your Mergress. I'm sure that those following this thread will be interested in the "improvements" over a standard Progress.
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Sat May 30, 2020 9:45 am

Gillette Fatboy

After testing, this is what Gillette commercially released as their first adjustable in 1958. I'm pretty much going to repeat what I've said previously.

They give a decent shave so long as I use them on max or just under with a newish to new blade - JMHO.

These are both E2's 1959/Q2 - Totally unintentional. Both have been refurbished, the Chrome one Anel and the other Cerakoted by Delta Echo. Neither were commissioned by me and both are in great shape.

Gillette Fatboy.jpg

SOTD200530.jpg
Clouds

PreviousNext

Return to Double Edged Razor Discussion