Lets Talk Adjustables

Moderator: Clouds

Re: Lets Talk Adjustables

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sat May 22, 2021 7:13 am

Clouds wrote:Tatara Muramasa

The Muramasa has landed.

TatMuramasa01s.jpg

TatMuramasa02s.jpg

I've always likes the design of their razors and when I heard that they were looking at releasing an adjustable I knew that one was going to land here.
Its a great looking razor - JMHO.

Its an all stainless steel razor with a "sort of" a totally new take on adjustability with the two solid bars moving in and out - The L'Essor Le Supreme is another that does this. Turn the dial under the head and it moves the bars - very ingenious.

TatMuramasa03s.jpg

When I received it, I found the adjustment dial difficult to move. It has a little O-ring that provides the resistance that holds the adjustment, so I put a bit of vaseline in it which allows it to move smoothly and also hold the adjustment.

Two, maybe three negatives...
Its too mild and 1 should be where 3 currently is.
The "setting" window is way too small for my eyes and the black background, I suspect that the black will wear off over time and that will make the numbers more difficult to see.

Some say that the handle length is too short, but for me its pretty much spot-on mmaayybbee a tad too long

Tatara provide a key to dismantle it for deep cleaning.

TatMuramasa04s.jpg

SOTD210516.jpg

How does it shave?
I have the benefit of other guys reviewing this before me, so I sort of knew what to expect. After seeing their reviews I made sure that I had a twice used Wizamet waiting for it. I started on 3 ATG and immediately realized that it needed to go up, so dialed it to 4 and finished off the ATG portion of the shave, relathered and dialed it up to 5 and did the WTG part of the shave. I had to do my normal touch-ups and I'm pretty much BBS.

Kudo's to Tatara for bringing something very different to the market.
Very nice shave and writeup Clouds.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:32 pm

Gillette Superspeed advert.

I knew the red tip was the most aggressive, and according to this advert, it's the heaviest as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby dappershaves » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:02 pm

Cool ad, it's that trilogy of razors that was the reason/verification Gillette needed to make the first adjustables, Toggle and Fatboy can't recall which was first. Yes the red is a lot heavier and comes with one of the best knurling you will find on any razor. This is the British version, it's blade gap is significantly bigger than the US version (.61 vs .81)

I previously did a review here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1697
40E81E4E-35A7-4386-B8B3-124B64918D65.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dappershaves

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:21 pm

dappershaves wrote:Cool ad, it's that trilogy of razors that was the reason/verification Gillette needed to make the first adjustables, Toggle and Fatboy can't recall which was first. Yes the red is a lot heavier and comes with one of the best knurling you will find on any razor. This is the British version, it's blade gap is significantly bigger than the US version (.61 vs .81)

I previously did a review here http://forums.mastershave.co.za/viewtop ... f=9&t=1697
40E81E4E-35A7-4386-B8B3-124B64918D65.jpeg

Cool, thanks for the information Dapper.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:45 pm

Denali
Its the new Gibbs "Homage" on the block. Currently only available in the EU, but I suspect that they will widen the market.
It looks like a Rex and and the short version is, there were three guys on the initial Rex project. One wanted a mild razor the other a more aggressive one and they parted ways (amicably, I've read). This is the milder one. I guess that certain IP was shared and here it is.

Denali002.jpg

My first impressions on the razor.
I like the lower profile and the polished topcap.
I've always thought that the Rex Knurling is up there with the best, I found this slightly more grippy.
I love the fact that it can be dismantled completely to clean.
Packaging - Its perfectly functional. For me thats the way that it should be because I don't shave with the packaging.

Denali001.jpg

Denali003.jpg

Denali004.jpg

Improvements:
The adjustment mark on the dial - mmmm, Its small and I suspect will fade over time.
The dial stops at 7, they missed the "over-clock" trick.

I made a new adjuster dial with a Swarovski Crystal as the marker. I also tuned it so I could overclock it and it now goes to about 10.
The pic below is it open to its widest.

Denali005.jpg

Denali006.jpg

How does it shave:
Its advertised as been mild, and yes it is mild. With this in mind, for my first shave I had a Feather that had one shave on it, lying in wait. I'm not a big fan of Feathers but aknowledge that they are the sharpest around.
I started on 3-ATG, dialed it to 6-WTG. At this point I was not quite where I wanted to be.
In preparation for the shave, I set it up so that I could overclock it and dialed it to about 9 and redid the WTG pass plus my normal buffing - that did it for me. I found a little bit of drag - less than an Aluminium Gibbs but more than the Chrome plated one.

YMMV, for me this works on the higher settings and benefits from been overclocked.
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:33 pm

Clouds wrote:Denali
Its the new Gibbs "Homage" on the block. Currently only available in the EU, but I suspect that they will widen the market.
It looks like a Rex and and the short version is, there were three guys on the initial Rex project. One wanted a mild razor the other a more aggressive one and they parted ways (amicably, I've read). This is the milder one. I guess that certain IP was shared and here it is.

Denali002.jpg

I like the lower profile and the polished topcap.
I've always thought that the Rex Knurling is up there with the best, I found this slightly more grippy.
I love the fact that it can be dismantled completely to clean.
Packaging - Its perfectly functional. For me thats the way that it should be because I don't shave with the packaging.

Denali001.jpg

Denali003.jpg

Denali004.jpg

Improvements:
The adjustment mark on the dial - mmmm, Its small and I suspect will fade over time.
The dial stops at 7, they missed the "over-clock" trick.

I made a new adjuster dial with a Swarovski Crystal as the marker. I also tuned it so I could overclock it and it now goes to about 10.
The pic below is it open to its widest.

Denali005.jpg

Denali006.jpg

How does it shave:
Its advertised as been mild, and yes it is mild. With this in mind, for my first shave I had a Feather that had one shave on it, lying in wait. I'm not a big fan of Feathers but aknowledge that they are the sharpest around.
I started on 3-ATG, dialed it to 6-WTG. At this point I was not quite where I wanted to be.
In preparation for the shave, I set it up so that I could overclock it and dialed it to about 9 and redid the WTG pass plus my normal buffing - that did it for me. I found a little bit of drag - less than an Aluminium Gibbs but more than the Chrome plated one.

YMMV, for me this works on the higher settings and benefits from been overclocked.

Very nice!
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:13 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Very nice!

Thanks RVT
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:21 pm

Rocnel Sailor 2021

The latest version of the Sailor arrived a few weeks back.

Sailor 2021C.jpg

Like all Rocnel razors this is an impressive piece of kit. They have also lowered the profile of the topcap which is nice. What I really like is that they have shortened the handle to around 75mm. It's still Rocnel - big and chunky.
I also like the fact that they have toned down the packaging. Its still impressive but far less than the 2020 Version.

Sailor 2021E.jpg

The Gold ring is an option now, which is great. They didn't offer me it but I most likely would have not taken it.

The knurling looks the same as the previous version but seems a little more grippy.

Sotd210617.jpg

How does it shave:
In aggression it sits between the 19 and 20 versions. My first shave with it was my "goto" Wizamet on third use and I was frankly dissapointed. In smoothness, I found a bit of drag. Second shave was a Feather and it is far smoother and effecient with a Feather - Yes I defintely prefer it with Feathers.
Clouds

Postby dini » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:05 pm

Clouds, that Rocnel is aaaaaaaaamazing.

Nice, would love to hear your further comments as time goes on.
dini

Postby Clouds » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:48 pm

dini wrote:Clouds, that Rocnel is aaaaaaaaamazing.

Nice, would love to hear your further comments as time goes on.

Thanks dini, I will add that it also does not like Sharks as well.
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:55 pm

Darwin Popular

Looks like a plain run of the mill razor doesn't it, but this is one of the rarest Darwins.

DarwinPopular01.jpg

DarwinPopular02.jpg

Its a Two-Piece and adjusts by loosening the handle. This comes from a time when blades were thicker and had more spring in them. Like the "Standard" on page 8 of this thread there are little graduations at the top of the handle. Using todays blades adjustability is pretty limited.

DarwinPopular03.jpg

Popular (pun intended) opinion is that they did not look like their ornate siblings and most of them got thrown away.

Its Chrome Plated Brass, probably manufactured in the late 1920's and it was advertised as "Adjustable to suit all beards"

SOTD210627.jpg

SOTD
How does it shave?
It is a mild shaver. The limited adjustability does help a little.
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:18 pm

Nice one Clouds!
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:38 am