Lets Talk Adjustables

Moderator: Clouds

Re: Lets Talk Adjustables

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:34 pm

Clouds wrote:KryTyk

This adjustable has it all - gap and angle.

It has PAT D JULY 18.1911 stamped underneath. It was manufactured by the Jones Razor & Mfg Co in Kansas City, Mo.

Angle adjustability is by way of a circular piece on the head and a handle/clamp arrangement. It can be used from normal 90deg to 180deg like a shavette.
Gap adjustability is done by pulling the little piece of bent wire underneath (Left bottom image - Little wire piece sticking out), which in turn pulls the comb downwards. Its either open or closed - nothing in between.
Both ideas are simple, but they work.

Not much else is known about it - so feel free to jump in if you have some more info.....

How does it shave:
I don't have an original blade, and used a modified Artist Club blade with a spacer.
I've ended up with a DFS, but it was some work getting there. I also kept switching the slant from left to right and back again each time that I switched sides of my face. I found that I preferred it in "T" mode.
All in all a very interesting experience.

SOTD200731.jpg
Helluva razor there Clouds. Very interesting.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:02 am

dini wrote:I dont think I have ever seen this razor before. Looks like a weapon a spy would carry ;)

Has the "sorta" right name as well doesn't it.
Its very uncommon, so not at all well known.

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Helluva razor there Clouds. Very interesting.

Thanks RVT
Lots to fiddle with, Gap, angle / shavette so certainly entertaining!!
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:30 pm

Pal Injector

This was introduced in June 1962 and was the first injector razor.
It has plastic under the handle section, otherwise the rest is Stainless Steel. The adjustment dial works fine but is a bit small for my preferences, so I tend to pick a setting and leave it there.

How does it shave
Its a great shaver, I find it very efficient but with very little blade feel.

SOTD200802.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:48 am

Clouds wrote:Pal Injector

This was introduced in June 1962 and was the first injector razor.
It has plastic under the handle section, otherwise the rest is Stainless Steel. The adjustment dial works fine but is a bit small for my preferences, so I

tend to pick a setting and leave it there.

How does it shave
Its a great shaver, I find it very efficient but with very little blade feel.

SOTD200802.jpg

Very nice razor there clouds! :)
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:59 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Very nice razor there clouds! :)

Thanks RVT
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:02 pm

iKon El Jefe

This was never meant to be an adjustable razor but a flaw in the design/casting made it one. The posts that locate the blade are too small and as a result the blade can be pushed forward for an agressive shave or back for a mild shave. Just make sure that the blade is straight. The movement in the topcap also contributes a little. Its not a true adjustable, you put it on the setting and then shave with it with no changes during the shave.

It only had one run and then was taken off the market once people started complaining.
The last of them were heavily discounted, until someone said "hey its adjustable". Some guys out there rate its as the best adjustable unintentionally made.

It needs its own handle - I just need to decide on length.

How does it shave
It uses Artist Club blades, so there are some choices there. I used it on its most aggressive with a "Professional" blade and I found it a little of a hand full, not bad but I did need to keep a light touch on it.
At this level, its not an everyday shaver for me.

SOTD200807.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:52 pm

Walbusch B5

This is a combination of a Walbusch B3 and a Merkur Progress. Its was patented in 1937, so it goes back to Nazi Germany. Its a Humpback slant so the blade is not twisted. The handle is Silver plated (I think).

How does it shave
One word - AWESOME.
This ones edges has a few flea bites but it doesn't seem to matter. I can throw any blade into it - its not fussy. Its such an easy shaver and by far my best shaving slant, so I use it pretty frequently.

If Merkur were to re-introduce it, I personally believe that it would be an instant success.

SOTD200808.jpg
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:05 pm

Sounds like a very nice Shaver there Clouds! :)
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:25 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Sounds like a very nice Shaver there Clouds! :)

Thanks RVT, it's a great razor..
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:26 am

Merkur Vision

They should have named it Merkur Mjölnir.
This was initially introduced in 1998. I don't know what Merkur were thinking, its huge and its pretty aggressive. It was also expensive when compared to other razors including those in their range. From what I can gather online, it was discontinued in 2012.

How does it shave
It's handle is way too long for my personal preferences, its weight does not bother me. Once I get around the handle size, I like the way that it shaves. A 2 pass BBS is well within its capabilities.

SOTD200809.jpg
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:05 pm

Clouds wrote:Merkur Vision

This was initially introduced in 1998. I don't know what Merkur were thinking, its huge and its pretty aggressive. It was also expensive when compared to other razors including those in their range. From what I can gather online, it was discontinued in 2012.

How does it shave
It's handle is way too long for my personal preferences, its weight does not bother me. Once I get around the handle size, I like the way that it shaves. A 2 pass BBS is well within its capabilities.

SOTD200809.jpg
Hi Clouds, I also found it way too big. Sold mine away.

This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby dini » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:50 pm

Clouds wrote:Merkur Vision

How does it shave
It's handle is way too long for my personal preferences, its weight does not bother me. Once I get around the handle size, I like the way that it shaves. A 2 pass BBS is well within its capabilities

SOTD200809.jpg

I remember picking up an example at Sharp Edge putting it back because of the size.

It is a nice one to have in the collection if you are are an adjustable connoisseur, like yourself.
dini

Postby Clouds » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:42 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Hi Clouds, I also found it way too big. Sold mine away.

Hey RVT, Yes, it makes one wonder if the designers were actually shavers...

dini wrote:I remember picking up an example at Sharp Edge putting it back because of the size.

It is a nice one to have in the collection if you are are an adjustable connoisseur, like yourself.

Agreed there Dini
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:03 pm

Personna Precision Micrometric

This is the British version of the Gibbs. It uses unmodified blades and because of this they are extremely sought after so they generally fetch high prices. They were mostly un-plated although there are some that are chrome plated.

It does say "Made in Britain" on them but there is lots of speculation if in fact that is completely correct. They do feel like the best made of the vintage Gibbs style razors.

How does it shave
Its an excellent shaver although it's not as smooth as a Gibbs or Palmera.

SOTD200810.jpg
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:10 pm

Clouds wrote:Personna Precision Micrometric

This is the British version of the Gibbs. It uses unmodified blades and because of this they are extremely sought after so they generally fetch high prices. They were mostly un-plated although there are some that are chrome plated.

It does say "Made in Britain" on them but there is lots of speculation if in fact that is completely correct. They do feel like the best made of the vintage Gibbs style razors.

How does it shave
Its an excellent shaver although it's not as smooth as a Gibbs or Palmera.

SOTD200810.jpg
Wow! That's a beauty!

This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby PJFourie » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:36 pm

I recently acquired a 1960 Gillette 195 adjustable and it is still in very good condition. The only thing that was missing was the original tin blade dispenser, which Mo help me with. I was VERY happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PJFourie

Postby Heinrich » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:14 pm

PJFourie wrote:I recently acquired a 1960 Gillette 195 adjustable and it is still in very good condition. The only thing that was missing was the original tin blade dispenser, which Mo help me with. I was VERY happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great razor there PJFourie,.i wanted one a while back but they are price wise on the steep side & also to find one in that condition is hard,.Ended up with a Parker Variant of which i do not regret for one day,it's a Great & Awesome Razor :thumbup:
Heinrich

Postby Clouds » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:00 pm

Rockwell Model T

This is Rockwells entry into the one piece market. There was a successful Kickstarter campaign, but that's where it stopped. There was delay after delay and eventually when the first batch was released the reviews were generally bad. Its pretty much a copy of a Gillette adjustable, but is continually adjustable.

This one is part of the initial batch that I bought through a BST and frank fully speaking, I can't see what everyone was griping about. The only issue that I had with mine is that the adjuster dial was too stiff to begin with, so much so that I didn't change it during a shave. Its loosened up substantially and changing settings during a shave is possible.

How does its shave:
Its shave is similar to the earlier Gillette adjustables, so a mild but good everyday shaver.

SOTD200814.jpg
Clouds

Postby dini » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:06 am

Clouds wrote:Rockwell Model T

This is Rockwells entry into the one piece market. There was a successful Kickstarter campaign, but that's where it stopped. There was delay after delay and eventually when the first batch was released the reviews were generally bad. Its pretty much a copy of a Gillette adjustable, but is continually adjustable.

This one is part of the initial batch that I bought through a BST and frank fully speaking, I can't see what everyone was griping about. The only issue that I had with mine is that the adjuster dial was too stiff to begin with, so much so that I didn't change it during a shave. Its loosened up substantially and changing settings during a shave is possible.

How does its shave:
Its shave is similar to the earlier Gillette adjustables, so a mild but good everyday shaver.

SOTD200814.jpg

That is a good looking razor . Is it stainless steel?

Really enjoying your writeups,Clouds.
dini

Postby Clouds » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:17 am

Busy week - so only really getting to this now...

RiverValleyTrading wrote:
Wow! That's a beauty![/quote]
Thanks RVT

PJFourie wrote:I recently acquired a 1960 Gillette 195 adjustable and it is still in very good condition. The only thing that was missing was the original tin blade dispenser, which Mo help me with. I was VERY happy!

Nice looking set - why not post a write-up...

dini wrote:That is a good looking razor . Is it stainless steel?

Really enjoying your writeups,Clouds.

No, its cast so I assume zamak. That was one of the issues. It was initially understood to be stainless steel. Then somewhere along the way, after the Kickstarter campaign that was changed or corrected.

Thanks Dini
Clouds

PreviousNext

Return to Double Edged Razor Discussion