DEvette

DEvette

Postby Jacquers » Thu May 07, 2015 2:51 pm

Saw this on B&B - a 'no guard' DE

il_570xN.693671017_c74j.jpg

and then a thread http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/438849-2015-DEvette-passaround about a user made / modified one. Looks dangerous, but some guys seem to like it. Wonder if I can modify a Lion like this?

IMG_0623[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Re: DEvette

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu May 07, 2015 2:53 pm

That's one of scariest looking 'safety' razors I've seen. Taking the safety bar off exposes the blade edge entirely. :twisted:
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Thu May 07, 2015 3:08 pm

I have a Gillette that's missing its bottom plate. Would imagine its sort of similar to this. I assembled it and looked at look and feel and yes seems a bit scary. Not much different to a shavette I guess
ShaveHavenSA

Postby admin » Thu May 07, 2015 3:15 pm

Jacquers wrote: Wonder if I can modify a Lion like this?

Excellent idea, will modify the Lion and try have a shave and report the findings - if I survive :oo
Master Shave | The Home of Wet Shaving Enthusiasts |Links: Image Image
admin
Site Admin

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu May 07, 2015 3:20 pm

admin wrote:

Excellent idea, will modify the Lion and try have a shave and report the findings - if I survive :oo

There a youtube video of Rico (from Ricos Corner) doing a shave with this same razor.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby admin » Thu May 07, 2015 3:21 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:
admin wrote:

There a youtube video of Rico (from Ricos Corner) doing a shave with this same razor.

So who else is in then? :shifty:
admin
Site Admin

Postby Jacquers » Thu May 07, 2015 3:38 pm

Sounds like a razor based version of Russian Roulette...

I suppose for those who have used a shavette this could work.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby admin » Thu May 07, 2015 3:53 pm

The guys over on B&B have already done the mod:

20141223_155806.jpg

I'm shocked at how good this is! In terms of result, it's everything I want from DE, SE, str8s and injectors all in one go...oh no, getting carried away now :)

But we need lots more input and experimentation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
admin
Site Admin

Postby Thug » Thu May 07, 2015 8:23 pm

The only thing I like about that razor is the handle!
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby admin » Fri May 08, 2015 11:11 am

Following the reviews and the feedback regarding the mod to un-safety the safety razor I went about dismantling the Lion Razor to make a DEvette and here are my findings;

I started by bending back and fourth the safety rails off the base plate with pliers:
BasePlateLion.JPG

I test fitted a blade and saw that it required some filing of the remaining safety bar joints:
FilingReq.JPG

Base plate ready:
BaseRdy.JPG

Really didn't want to use the plastic handle, I found that a Gillette Tech Vintage handle works perfectly and the thread is a match.
All ready for the shave with a fresh Supermax Titanium popped in, tried to get the image just right to show blade exposure:
Ready.JPG

At this point I wasn't sure what to expect, was it going to slice and dice, or would it behave like a well controlled Shavette? Well as I write this the shave went down absolutely BBS all over. The razor was very audible, something that I personally enjoy. The maneuverability of the LionDEvette is excellent, although care was needed as there were a few times I felt that it wanted to bite (under the nose & ATG jaw line/under chin area) - although blade angle is very important on this razor.

I used Proraso Sensitive as the soap and I did a pre-shave rub with Prep to ensure all went well. Overall impression of this mod is that it's brilliant, you feel that blade and you hear what it's doing, changing up blade angles and the shave changes dramatically.

All we can say is try it! You will be impressed!

Regards,

MS
admin
Site Admin

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri May 08, 2015 11:18 am

admin wrote:Following the reviews and the feedback regarding the mod to un-safety the safety razor I went about dismantling the Lion Razor to make a DEvette and here are my findings;

I started by bending back and fourth the safety rails off the base plate with pliers:
BasePlateLion.JPG

I test fitted a blade and saw that it required some filing of the remaining safety bar joints:
FilingReq.JPG

Base plate ready:
BaseRdy.JPG

Really didn't want to use the plastic handle, I found that a Gillette Tech Vintage handle works perfectly and the thread is a match.
All ready for the shave with a fresh Supermax Titanium popped in, tried to get the image just right to show blade exposure:
Ready.JPG

At this point I wasn't sure what to expect, was it going to slice and dice, or would it behave like a well controlled Shavette? Well as I write this the shave went down absolutely BBS all over. The razor was very audible, something that I personally enjoy. The maneuverability of the LionDEvette is excellent, although care was needed as there were a few times I felt that it wanted to bite (under the nose & ATG jaw line/under chin area) - although blade angle is very important on this razor.

I used Proraso Sensitive as the soap and I did a pre-shave rub with Prep to ensure all went well. Overall impression of this mod is that it's brilliant, you feel that blade and you hear what it's doing, changing up blade angles and the shave changes dramatically.

All we can say is try it! You will be impressed!

Regards,

MS

Great job. That's a cool modified razor. Use with care.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Jacquers » Fri May 08, 2015 11:40 am

Brave man!

So the Lion is better like this than with the safety bars? This is very tempting...
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby admin » Fri May 08, 2015 11:50 am

Jacquers wrote:Brave man!

So the Lion is better like this than with the safety bars? This is very tempting...

I would say it's a definite improvement, if that's even possible with a Lion Head :lol: If you have a Lion lying around I would recommend it, only if you are confident and proficient with wet shaving techniques.

*If I can add one note though, the head of the lion is a featherweight and a little more weight and heft behind the razor would have been great :idea:
admin
Site Admin

Postby Jacquers » Fri May 08, 2015 11:53 am

I have one lying around, might as well give it a try, just not on my neck.

Next step, just use the DE blade, no razor... extreme shaving!
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby HenkB » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:14 am

Very interesting.

I think I will go and modify my LION tonight. thanks for the tips.
HenkB

Postby jegreen » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:03 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I read about this razor last night and was busy creating a new thread on it. Then I thought to check and do a search first on the forum. So it's been around a lot longer than I thought.

For me to starting to shave with an R41 was risky, but this is on another level! It really defeats the purpose of the word "safety" in safety razor. Razor looks more like a weapon!
jegreen

Postby deepsouth » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:42 pm

Aaah that reminds me to hack the lion to create this monster!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Return to Double Edged Razor Discussion