Lets Talk Adjustables

Moderator: Clouds

Re: Lets Talk Adjustables

Postby Clouds » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:44 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Wow! Great shave Clouds. Very intersting historic razor. Never seen that style before.

Thanks RVT. It goes to show that there is no need for fancy systems to achieve adjustability.

dini wrote:Thanks to this thread I am now following the Rocnel Instagram page with unhealthy interest. :oo

:lol: :lol: :lol: They make excellent razors. Let us know when Murat gets some of your money :lol: :lol: :lol:
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:16 am

Ideal

This is another razor that there is not too much info out there on it. Like the Rubin (page 1) its also "Cold War" Soviet made copy of a Super Adjustable 109 but the one with the metal base. The handle is also aluminium. I guess this further indication that they were pretty much copying what Gillette were doing, but the quality control was not on par. Closing it and everything also tightens as it should and the adjustment dial works fine.

I bought this from a guy in the Ukraine during the first few days of lockdown and had to use the postal service. It took 5days short of 6 months to get it

How does it shave:
First shave with it and it does need a revisit.
Its shave is similar to the SA109 and the setting seems to be about the same.

SOTD201009.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:18 pm

Clouds wrote:Ideal

This is another razor that there is not too much info out there on it. Like the Rubin (page 1) its also "Cold War" Soviet made copy of a Super Adjustable 109 but the one with the metal base. The handle is also aluminium. I guess this further indication that they were pretty much copying what Gillette were doing, but the quality control was not on par. Closing it and everything also tightens as it should and the adjustment dial works fine.

I bought this from a guy in the Ukraine during the first few days of lockdown and had to use the postal service. It took 5days short of 6 months to get it

How does it shave:

SOTD201009.jpg
Very interesting Clouds.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Clouds » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:11 pm

Myatt Adjustable

The very Art Deco styling of this razor screams the early 1930's.
It has a weird shaped guard, sort of a cage with a guard. I'm not sure what its purpose was but it does look pretty awesome. It feels extremely well made, which would be par for the course with British manufacturing at the time. The W.J Myatt company were silversmiths based in Burningham, UK.

This is another one of those that the "flexing" of the blade is the spring. I don't have an original blade and believe that the blades were thicker and thus had more spring in them. Its not really an adjustable using todays blades, nonetheless it's marked with FINE, MEDIUM and COARSE on the handle and has a little arrow on the twist knob.

The pins are unusual so it takes a proprietary blade. Reading on the net, some guys force the blade onto the pins, which I guess would work OK were it not for the fact that the blade is the spring in the adjustment mechanism. I did some careful measuring, a bit of lining up and "deep" engraved the blade to fit the pins.

Its a three piece. The handle and head can be separated as well. I believe this to be for manufacturing purposes, but instead of crimping them they decided that they would be screwed together. This one has been well used and at some time in its life it must have been dropped because one of the end teeth is very slightly bent.

How does it shave
Only one shave with it...
Its a very efficient shaver but has no blade feel. After the first stroke, I actually checked to see if it did anything. I used a new suitably modified Wizamet Super Iridium. Adjustment - There is a bit but not much to talk about, just as I thought when I first saw it.

SOTD201016.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:17 pm

Clouds wrote:Myatt Adjustable

The very Art Deco styling of this razor screams the early 1930's.
It has a weird shaped guard, sort of a cage with a guard. I'm not sure what its purpose was but it does look pretty awesome. It feels extremely well made, which would be par for the course with British manufacturing at the time. The W.J Myatt company were silversmiths based in Burningham, UK.

This is another one of those that the "flexing" of the blade is the spring. I don't have an original blade and believe that the blades were thicker and thus had more spring in them. Its not really an adjustable using todays blades, nonetheless it's marked with FINE, MEDIUM and COARSE on the handle and has a little arrow on the twist knob.

The pins are unusual so it takes a proprietary blade. Reading on the net, some guys force the blade onto the pins, which I guess would work OK were it not for the fact that the blade is the spring in the adjustment mechanism. I did some careful measuring, a bit of lining up and "deep" engraved the blade to fit the pins.

Its a three piece. The handle and head can be separated as well. I believe this to be for manufacturing purposes, but instead of crimping them they decided that they would be screwed together. This one has been well used and at some time in its life it must have been dropped because one of the end teeth is very slightly bent.

How does it shave
Only one shave with it...
Its a very efficient shaver but has no blade feel. After the first stroke, I actually checked to see if it did anything. I used a new suitably modified Wizamet Super Iridium. Adjustment - There is a bit but not much to talk about, just as I thought when I first saw it.

SOTD201016.jpg
Great shave!

This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:41 am

Clouds wrote:Ideal

How does it shave:

SOTD201009.jpg

Very cool. Great score Clouds! Yes, unfortunately there is not much information on these USSR razors out there. This razor is indeed a Soviet clone of the Gillette Black Beauty. I guess the Ideal was produced prior to the Ruben 1 as according to a factory certificate of the Ruben 1 it was made in 1991 by Smolensk Aircraft Factory and after searching the internet the Ideal was produced around 1988. I don’t know if your razors indicate different production dates?

When searching Smolensk Aircraft Factory I found this interesting information.

"The facility was founded in 1926 as "Aviation Repair Plant No.3", in 1928 it was redesignated "Plant No.35". Between 1941 and 1944 it was relocated to Kuybyshev as part of "Plant #1". Until 1966, it was known as "Plant #475" of the NKAP (Narodny Kommissariat Aviatsionnoy Promyshlennosti, People's Commissariat for Aviation Industry). It was renamed again in 1967 as the "Smolensk Machine Building Plant" of MAP (Ministerstvo Aviatsionnoy Promyshlennosti, Ministry for the Aviation Industry). It received its present name in 1974.
During the 1960s and 1970s SmAZ primarily produced aircraft and aircraft parts designed by the Yakovlev Design Bureau. During the 1980s production at Smolensk included the Myasishchev-designed high-altitude M-55 Geofizika aircraft, cruise missiles like the Kh-55 Granat and parts for the Buran space shuttle. In addition, SmAZ produces medical and light industry equipment.[2] On July 1, 1993 it was privatized, and has since operated as a joint stock company."
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby Clouds » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:57 pm

@BLES
Good info there.
I've just checked, the only markings (other than the numbers) on the Ruben or the Ideal are logos underneath.
There is also a Diplomat (Slim clone) and other than the numbers it has no markings.
Clouds

Postby Clouds » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:05 pm

Schick Type M (Shut able)

I can't find any info out there on this, but it's clearly a M-Type but it has a "Shut Off" feature which just pushes the guard upwards.
II don't really see the reason for the shut-off except maybe for a travel razor, but then its too long. Be that as it may - Its is pretty ingenious.

It has no metallic insert and its handle is grey as opposed to black.

How does it shave:
Only one shave under the belt with it...
I started on 2 and its mild, so I immediately went up to 7 and its a excellent shaver.
Its mostly plastic so I do find it a bit light.

SOTD201030.jpg
Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:06 pm

Clouds wrote:Schick Type M (Shut able)

I can't find any info out there on this, but it's clearly a M-Type but it has a "Shut Off" feature which just pushes the guard upwards.
II don't really see the reason for the shut-off except maybe for a travel razor, but then its too long. Be that as it may - Its is pretty ingenious.

How does it shave:
I started on 2 and its mild, so I immediately went up to 7 and its a excellent shaver.

SOTD201030.jpg
Nice shave Clouds.

This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby dini » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:47 pm

Clouds wrote:Schick Type M (Shut able)

How does it shave:

SOTD201030.jpg

I think that is about the only single edge adjustable I have seen. Nice Clouds.

I am still trying as hard as possible to ignore Rocnels instagram page udpates. Maybe I shoudl stop following? :oo
dini

Postby Clouds » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:58 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Nice shave Clouds.

Thanks RVT

dini wrote:I think that is about the only single edge adjustable I have seen. Nice Clouds.

I am still trying as hard as possible to ignore Rocnels instagram page udpates. Maybe I shoudl stop following? :oo

Thanks dini

Rocnel made great razors and now have really upped their game even more
Clouds

Previous

Return to Double Edged Razor Discussion