Rockwell Model T

Rockwell Model T

Postby Clouds » Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:27 pm

It must have been one of the first ones to come onto the second hand market. When Bundu said that he had read all sorts of bad reviews about it and he was considering not stocking it, I had already paid for it and was certainly worried that the one that I bought might be a lemon.

Well it's not a lemon.

It is a modern take on a Gillette adjustable.
Manufacturing an adjustable in today's market can't be easy and kudo's to them for doing it.

The packaging is the same as came with my 6S.
The doors open and close like I would expect them to. With a Gillette adjustable it takes about 2,5 turns to open or close, with this there is another full turn before the doors are fully open and been used to the Gillette's it is immediately noticeable.

On this one, the blade is perfectly aligned and the adjustment dial does what its supposed to.

Everything (the dial and the TTO) on it feels smooth as I also would expect.

As I said in my SOTD, I started with the dial on 3,5ish and a Minora that had 10 shaves on it - did the first stroke and felt nothing. It took off so little stubble so I decided that it could do with a new blade. A one WTG pass gave me a DFS without too much blade feel. In two words - Smooth and efficient.

The negatives for me are:
Its more "domed" than any of the Gillette adjustables, so its a little more difficult to get under your nose for eaxmple.
I shower shave and the knurling on the adjustment dial is not aggressive enough to change settings mid-shave. Maybe as its is used it may loosen up.
The knurling on the handle is OK-ish when you consider that I shower shave

Their target price of $195?
I didn't pay anywhere near that for it, but as I have an interest in adjustables, most likely I would.
Clouds

Re: Rockwell Model T

Postby Bundubeard » Thu May 02, 2019 8:19 am

That sounds promising. I fired off a couple of questions to Rockwell with my last order about the model T, but am still waiting for feedback. I also sent them some pics as reference to the complaint from this specific user. They got lots riding on this, so I believe they'll do their damnest to make sure these problems are ironed out. The 'good guy' in me also says I must use this issue to get a few at a better price for you guys :D
Boendoebaard/Bundubeard

Kry daai boendoe van jou gesig af/Get that bundu off your face
Bundubeard

Postby dini » Thu May 02, 2019 8:38 am

Great review , Clouds .
dini

Postby JAYDEE » Thu May 02, 2019 2:21 pm

Good review.
JEFF
JAYDEE

Postby Clouds » Sun May 12, 2019 10:17 am

Shaveoff: Rockwell Model T vs Rockwell 6S

@jereen asked for a comparison between the two Rockwells so here goes.

I used:
Rockwell Model T - Setting 4 (Right Hand Side)
Rockwell 6S - Plate 4 (Left Hand side)
Gillette "Spoiler" - First use.
Wolf Whiskers / Black Eagle HT Prototype
Gillys - Buddy
Prep
Alum

I basically did two individual shaves
After my shower I put a layer of Prep on the RHS of my face
I loaded the Wolf Whiskers / Black Eagle and lathered the RHS
I then shaved WTG and ATG with only the one side of the blade

I repeated the process for the LHS except that I used the other side of the blade.
I was careful about giving each razor a new edge.

Where I normally need to touch-up, I used the razor that was used on that side of my face to do so - if that makes sense?

After all was done I then used the Alum.

I have had the 6S for over a year so and the number 4 plate pretty much lives in the razor.
I have done 2 shaves with the Model T. I pretty quickly dialed the Model T to just over 4 (call it 4.25) - not intentially but rather as I was shaving, Increase the gap, decrease the gap until it felt "right" to me. I actually didn't look at the setting until I loaded the blade this morning and dialed it back the 0.25 to 4 to be in line with the 6S.

My "mileage"
I found that there is more audio feedback on the Model T - a lot.
Getting around my face, I can't say one is any better than the other.
At Setting 4 on both of them, I found the Model T is slightly more aggressive and give me a slightly closer shave.
This was also confirmed by the Alum. There was ever so slightly less sting on the left hand Side
I caught a weeper with the Model T. Nothing serious and once I had finished the RHS the blood had stopped.

The final price on the Model T is not out and that will influence any decision.
If its double the price - its not double the shave and I would buy the 6S.
The 6S is a smaller razor but feels more substantial, has less moving parts so far less to go wrong.

Conclusion:
Shave vs Shave and nothing else - I will give it to the Model T
(YMMV)

Clouds

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon May 13, 2019 7:26 am

Clouds wrote:Shaveoff: Rockwell Model T vs Rockwell 6S

@jereen asked for a comparison between the two Rockwells so here goes.

I used:
Rockwell Model T - Setting 4 (Right Hand Side)
Rockwell 6S - Plate 4 (Left Hand side)
Gillette "Spoiler" - First use.
Wolf Whiskers / Black Eagle HT Prototype
Gillys - Buddy
Prep
Alum

I basically did two individual shaves
After my shower I put a layer of Prep on the RHS of my face
I loaded the Wolf Whiskers / Black Eagle and lathered the RHS
I then shaved WTG and ATG with only the one side of the blade

I repeated the process for the LHS except that I used the other side of the blade.
I was careful about giving each razor a new edge.

Where I normally need to touch-up, I used the razor that was used on that side of my face to do so - if that makes sense?

After all was done I then used the Alum.

I have had the 6S for over a year so and the number 4 plate pretty much lives in the razor.
I have done 2 shaves with the Model T. I pretty quickly dialed the Model T to just over 4 (call it 4.25) - not intentially but rather as I was shaving, Increase the gap, decrease the gap until it felt "right" to me. I actually didn't look at the setting until I loaded the blade this morning and dialed it back the 0.25 to 4 to be in line with the 6S.

My "mileage"
I found that there is more audio feedback on the Model T - a lot.
Getting around my face, I can't say one is any better than the other.
At Setting 4 on both of them, I found the Model T is slightly more aggressive and give me a slightly closer shave.
This was also confirmed by the Alum. There was ever so slightly less sting on the left hand Side
I caught a weeper with the Model T. Nothing serious and once I had finished the RHS the blood had stopped.

The final price on the Model T is not out and that will influence any decision.
If its double the price - its not double the shave and I would buy the 6S.
The 6S is a smaller razor but feels more substantial, has less moving parts so far less to go wrong.

Conclusion:
Shave vs Shave and nothing else - I will give it to the Model T
(YMMV)

Very nice comparison Clouds!

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor