Raccoon hair Shaving brushes???

Need some help on technique or have a burning question? Ask away...

Re: Raccoon hair Shaving brushes???

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:45 pm

Bessie wrote:Thanks RVT. With time I will get different types to try out.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

Sure Bessie, If the HJM is working well then stick with it. :thumbup: One of the joys of traditional shaving is that you mix and match with so many options to find the combination that works best for you. :thumbup:
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Mikaar » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:33 pm

Bessie wrote:If I may chip in. I bought a cheap boar brush (hjm for R120) a month ago when I bought my DE razor. How long will a cheapie like that last? ShavingB noted that a boar brush needs time to break in. How long to break in and will that apply to my cheaper brush as well? Because this is my first and only brush I don't really know if it is good or bad.

I have 2 HJM boars that I use daily, from nearly the time I've started wet shaving ( Approximately 8 months) both of them were very cheap and still perform well. I favour the smaller one and as a result it's hairs are a bit softer and a bit more split than the larger one. At the same time I also bought 2 spares of the same and gave both of those away. A few weeks ago I was able to compare my broken in HJM with an unused one. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mikaar

Postby deepsouth » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:48 pm

Good job Mikaar, that illustrates the break in very well.
The boars can be go softer than badger, but with more backbone and scritch. I would have kept my Hjm, but the curiosity around the SOC drew me in. Once that was properly broken in I was convinced I found my nirvana brush.... Until I ordered my custom synthetic from Mo. (had a little frank synth to lead me to down that rabbit hole)
Perhaps if I tried more badgers my thoughts would be different, but I'm set in my fickle ways (for now)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby ShavingB » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:
Bessie wrote:If I may chip in. I bought a cheap boar brush (hjm for R120) a month ago when I bought my DE razor. How long will a cheapie like that last? ShavingB noted that a boar brush needs time to break in. How long to break in and will that apply to my cheaper brush as well? Because this is my first and only brush I don't really know if it is good or bad.

Hi Bessie,

With due care, the brush should last a long time. Just make sure to get as much moisture out of it after shaving, and leave it in a well ventilated area to dry.

After about 15 shaves, you ill notice the ends of teh bristles start to split (much like human hair). this is when the brush performs at it's best.

It's good to have an idea of the performance of each brush type (Boar, Horse,, Badger, Synthetic). I prefer badger for luxury, and boar for a bit of a scrub. Horse brushes are in between boar and bager.

@Bessie... What he said...

Boar brushes can actually become rather luxurious. To speed up the break in, I usually do a few hand lathers in between Shaves.

For a beginner when you are unsure, I think Boar is the best option but that's just my opinion. They offer excellent performance at reasonable costs.

As you have seen deepsouth loves his RVT synthetic. I have one with the same knot and by personal preference I find myself reaching for RVT's 2 band finest Badger instead.

Unfortunately (from a cost perspective), you have to see what you like best. Fortunately this allows you to have a few brushes to rotate with and then every shave feels different, keeps it exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ShavingB

Postby Bessie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:48 am

Thanks for all the good advice gents....and the nice photos Mikaar! You put my mind at ease...for now. I'm not one to always buy the best, but do believe that proper tools make whatever you do more enjoyable.
I am still excited every morning with my one razor and brush, ShavingB! So I can imagine it only gets better when you get more stuff!

Sorry for pushing in Chucky, but the advice is good!

Bessie

Postby c4Chucky » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:41 am

deepsouth wrote:You could speed up the break in on your Hjm ( I had one of too and my brother still uses it ) with a pumice stone. You don't have to spend heaps either. That Hjm will last you years, back in there day blokes had one brush and razor, then only consumable was soap and blades - these were stretched to last as long as possible. Brushes and soap hasn't changed that much from then, gotten better yes

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ah... the good old days.
One Razor to rule them all.

It kind of reminds me of when soldiers were handed one rifle. It was theirs and no one else's. They had to clean it themselves, they had to get used to how the rifle performs under different circumstances. I guess we get to know our razors this way?
Shave Awesome!

www.razorrebel.co.za
c4Chucky

Postby c4Chucky » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:41 am

I have to admit, I also like the scrub of the brush. Sometimes I go over my whole face. It really helps clean the pores and a great after feel.

My wife was in the beauty industry for years and told me that women actually pay crazy money for these kinds of treatments at beauty salons with a brush machine with different variations of coarseness.

We just do it multiple times a week. :lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe ladies should take up shaving and save some cash. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe then she won't be so upset that I spend so much on a new brush!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shave Awesome!

www.razorrebel.co.za
c4Chucky

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:49 am

c4Chucky wrote:I have to admit, I also like the scrub of the brush. Sometimes I go over my whole face. It really helps clean the pores and a great after feel.

My wife was in the beauty industry for years and told me that women actually pay crazy money for these kinds of treatments at beauty salons with a brush machine with different variations of coarseness.

We just do it multiple times a week. :lol: :lol: :lol: Maybe ladies should take up shaving and save some cash. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe then she won't be so upset that I spend so much on a new brush!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

lol, There is also a ladies facial treatment called 'Dermal Planing' . The dermatologist uses a very fine blade to scrape away just the top level of dead skin cells. We call it 'Shaving' :lol:

However, I must say, some of tehse new make up brushes have some very nice looking synthetic knots. :hmmm
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Bessie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:21 am

We can offer our services to our ladies....much cheaper.....payment in kind will do

Bessie

Postby Thug » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:35 pm

deepsouth wrote:My 2+cents, after the pain pills kicked in....

I'm running a 28mm synth in a custom handle. In my view - best brush I've owned, I'm not a 'brush guy' and have tried badger/boar etc, but right now I'm sticking to the synths ( a few brushes are on the horizon, all synthetics, some restored, some custom )
Finding what works for you is part of the adventure.
What I look for in a brush;
- good backbone, able to splay, but not too much
- not too springy, see above ( hard gained knowledge on how knots and depth of setting is needed - thanks RVT)
- I like scritchy and face lather only, so I want a good scrub (badger is too soft for me)
- fast drying near the coast is a must
I've come to 'know' my brush and how much water it retains and how that applies to different soaps/croaps, I can consistently apply variations to loading/removing water and get excellent results on the lather produced.

In my experience - there's a whole hullabaloo on brush material (different grades of badger, free range horse and thoroughbred boars, synth 'generations'), knot, loft, shape, size etc.

Objectively - most are from China and you'd need to identify the black magic in marketing hype and vagueness on where it's sourced from. All very mysterious, I find it interesting that guys like Nathan Clarke (envy) or Whipped dog (Larry) or TGN or Maggard can put neck to block that their knots are superior and have youtube zealots confirm and or deny whimsical differences, based on what? Free samples, amount of youtube followers, amount of videos/reviews and 'likes' on those, 'standing' in the community? (some guys don't like other guys [valid or invalid reasons :roll: ] and get/make their own social media splash (phoenixartisanaccoutrements.com and it's soap debacle)

Who knows and or cares right?

In my view, the application of knowledge on how to set a knot vs preference of target audience is more important(er) than brand. How the artist applies his skill in producing a functional piece of art. The material and shape is subjective as everyone has different preferences. The art of making a brush with all the above is what makes it and of course, your own preference or want. Perceived exclusivity pops to mind.

I liked my Semogue owners club boar, made me feel part of a club of semogue owners :lol: the brush is hand made in Spain and so are the knots - was my go to brush for a long time, scritchy and soft, but took ages to dry and was the reason I purged it.

Whichever brush you go for you'd need a self-set list of requirements and research how the variables (knot,size type,shape,loft, etc) could affect the end product OR if it looks nice and you want it :D

Great write up DS.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Previous

Return to Shave Help & Questions