Wade & Butcher - Rescale

Wade & Butcher - Rescale

Postby dappershaves » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:54 pm

Not a lot to say really, just a basic rescale of a Wade & Butcher 7/8 straight razor. The original horn scales was damaged and I used one scale as sacrificial material to make the new wedge. I’ve grown fond of Walnut thus I decided to use it again for this razor and used a square point design with a pointed tail which I think suits the blade profile pretty well. Making scales for a razor is straight forward and as with this restore was done without the use of power tools except for using drill to pilot the 1,6mm (1/16”) pivot and wedge holes.

63CA5F89-74AF-441A-A700-838FA188C2C7.jpeg

I outline the blade profile on paper and then draw out the shape of the new scales which leaves a “clean slate” for any design you fancy. Typically we tend to make the scale to big for a razor and I’ve learn over time to make them petite, thin and light. I don’t want to call them “bikini” but they are skinny and tight fitting to accompany the blade smiling nature. The scale shape is cut out and the paper template used to transpose the profile onto the intended woodstock, Walnut in this case. With the profiles for the 2 scales outlined on the wood the long process of shaping them into the near final dimensions is done with files and sandpaper.
A60AFE45-D719-42A9-B304-A5DAEF442D51.jpeg

6E478264-14D2-4ECF-B469-49AAB61C1B93.jpeg

It’s goes without saying that millimeter precision is required to ensure the blade and wedge fits snuggly together as there is no undo button. I used an inclusive angle of 14 degrees total for the wedge to ensure enough flex without putting unwanted torque on the scales during normal operation. The reused horn from the original scales is a nice touch retaining some of it’s heritage.
F2E7E3CF-CC88-49FD-ABBA-8E5C9499C64C.jpeg

The wood is lacquered to ensure longevity but also to waterproof the wood. I use an airbrush for this purpose but can also be done by painting on layers of sealant such a resin or CA (superglue) With the final mock-up done to ensure all’s good it’s time to start pinning the blade into the scale and start with the wedge pin first. There’s no shortcuts and force with a hammer is your enemy, so stick with light controlled taps and keep rotating between sides. Do not start pinning if you are in a hurry as this requires a lot patience as any stray hit will either damage, crack or brake the scales you’ve spend many hours making.
450D9F01-3F42-4826-AD46-A54DAEEC069E.jpeg

I recommend using internal washers to firstly help keep water out of the pivot but also to eliminate scratching the scales/blade when opening/closing the razor.
1FA7AE6E-1508-4B55-BA44-37FB0DE25AA2.jpeg

When all is said and done this is the end result.
F655BC69-E42D-4BBA-AA5F-87880DA8C88C.jpeg

C572BB81-E7B8-48F3-9F67-4A36C7FC62AD.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dappershaves

Return to Razor Restorations