Straight Razor 'Training Wheels'

A place to learn and compare notes about the art of wet shaving.

Straight Razor 'Training Wheels'

Postby Jacquers » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:22 pm

Looks like a useful idea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHIzMlvcj5A

Binder clips to help get the correct angle:

SR TW.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
User avatar
Jacquers
 
Posts: 1314
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:20 pm
Location: Port Elizabeth

Re: Straight Razor 'Training Wheels'

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:24 pm

Jacquers wrote:Looks like a useful idea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHIzMlvcj5A

Binder clips to help get the correct angle:

SR TW.jpg



Nice, that is very cool. :thumbup:
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.


http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
User avatar
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor
 
Posts: 13764
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Durban

Re: Straight Razor 'Training Wheels'

Postby deepsouth » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:55 pm

I like it - makes things less daunting
A man well lathered is half shaved
User avatar
deepsouth
 
Posts: 3365
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Straight Razor 'Training Wheels'

Postby HenkB » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:11 pm

Interesting, although I dont know if I would put those clips and risk scratching my blade etc
HenkB
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:05 pm

Re: Straight Razor 'Training Wheels'

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:51 pm

HenkB wrote:Interesting, although I dont know if I would put those clips and risk scratching my blade etc


Yes, I also thought about that. You get the rubber triangular binders. They might also work.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.


http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
User avatar
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor
 
Posts: 13764
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Durban

Re: Straight Razor 'Training Wheels'

Postby HenkB » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:46 am

Instead of using clips, just use your patience and common sense and concentration.

With those, you will not feel the pressure of the blade on the skin, which, in my opinion, will results in more cuts than compared without the clips.
so what I want to say, I think that is more dangerous and not training wheels.
HenkB
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:05 pm

Re: Straight Razor 'Training Wheels'

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:06 am

HenkB wrote:Instead of using clips, just use your patience and common sense and concentration.

With those, you will not feel the pressure of the blade on the skin, which, in my opinion, will results in more cuts than compared without the clips.
so what I want to say, I think that is more dangerous and not training wheels.


True, It's all about practice. I think the clips just offer a guide to those who want to get the feel of the straight blade.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.


http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
User avatar
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor
 
Posts: 13764
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Durban

Re: Straight Razor 'Training Wheels'

Postby deepsouth » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:34 am

HenkB wrote:Instead of using clips, just use your patience and common sense and concentration.

With those, you will not feel the pressure of the blade on the skin, which, in my opinion, will results in more cuts than compared without the clips.
so what I want to say, I think that is more dangerous and not training wheels.


that makes perfect sense. i'll be a starting the straight journey soon
A man well lathered is half shaved
User avatar
deepsouth
 
Posts: 3365
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Straight Razor 'Training Wheels'

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:37 am

deepsouth wrote:
HenkB wrote:Instead of using clips, just use your patience and common sense and concentration.

With those, you will not feel the pressure of the blade on the skin, which, in my opinion, will results in more cuts than compared without the clips.
so what I want to say, I think that is more dangerous and not training wheels.


that makes perfect sense. i'll be a starting the straight journey soon



Hey that's cool! Just remember to go to slow, and don't chase the BBS. With good technique the BBS will come to you :)
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.


http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
User avatar
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor
 
Posts: 13764
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Durban

Re: Straight Razor 'Training Wheels'

Postby ShaverBBS » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:15 pm

So gents.
I've started on a "straight" journey
Took delivery of a Feather SS today and and now I'm actually starting to get nervous already!
Should I do a few practice runs without a blade inserted at first?
I got the Pro guard blades so hopefully that's a plus.
ShaverBBS
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: Straight Razor 'Training Wheels'

Postby Bundubeard » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:10 pm

ShaverBBS wrote:So gents.
I've started on a "straight" journey
Took delivery of a Feather SS today and and now I'm actually starting to get nervous already!
Should I do a few practice runs without a blade inserted at first?
I got the Pro guard blades so hopefully that's a plus.


Very light touch on the Feather shavette, one of the few straights I have used that gave me a little more than razor burn by ' very easily taking the tops off the little natural bumps on one's skin' not sure how better to describe it. Because the blades are so sharp you don't need to do much work yourself. To me it was very natural to use first time round, and apart from too much pressure a great shave, and I felt comfortable enough to do my entire face in a WTG pass with touch ups sideways and across where required. The shorter blade length makes it a tad easier to use than a conventional straight. It was early days and I had very little experience with straights, so I felt pretty much like you. I am pretty sure you are going to have a great first shave!
Boendoebaard/Bundubeard

Kry daai boendoe van jou gesig af/Get that bundu off your face
Bundubeard
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:45 pm
Location: Donkerhoek, Pretoria

Re: Straight Razor 'Training Wheels'

Postby Bundubeard » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:11 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:
deepsouth wrote:
HenkB wrote:Instead of using clips, just use your patience and common sense and concentration.

With those, you will not feel the pressure of the blade on the skin, which, in my opinion, will results in more cuts than compared without the clips.
so what I want to say, I think that is more dangerous and not training wheels.


that makes perfect sense. i'll be a starting the straight journey soon



Hey that's cool! Just remember to go to slow, and don't chase the BBS. With good technique the BBS will come to you :)


Good advice!
Boendoebaard/Bundubeard

Kry daai boendoe van jou gesig af/Get that bundu off your face
Bundubeard
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:45 pm
Location: Donkerhoek, Pretoria

Re: Straight Razor 'Training Wheels'

Postby ShaverBBS » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:00 am

Bundubeard wrote:
ShaverBBS wrote:So gents.
I've started on a "straight" journey
Took delivery of a Feather SS today and and now I'm actually starting to get nervous already!
Should I do a few practice runs without a blade inserted at first?
I got the Pro guard blades so hopefully that's a plus.


Very light touch on the Feather shavette, one of the few straights I have used that gave me a little more than razor burn by ' very easily taking the tops off the little natural bumps on one's skin' not sure how better to describe it. Because the blades are so sharp you don't need to do much work yourself. To me it was very natural to use first time round, and apart from too much pressure a great shave, and I felt comfortable enough to do my entire face in a WTG pass with touch ups sideways and across where required. The shorter blade length makes it a tad easier to use than a conventional straight. It was early days and I had very little experience with straights, so I felt pretty much like you. I am pretty sure you are going to have a great first shave!

Thanks for the vote of confidence! Will definitely take it easy, on my DE shave last night I was very cognizant of the fact that I need to take it slow. Guess it's also habit
ShaverBBS
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:12 pm


Return to First Time Wet Shavers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
cron