Nicks and cuts

A place to learn and compare notes about the art of wet shaving.

Nicks and cuts

Postby HenkB » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:43 am

Hi all.
Thought about this topic and thought that this might be usefull (and also brag) if you accidentally cut yourself (you will never do it on purpose).
Post your pics here, and why it happened.

This happened to me yesterday after losing slight concentration with my straight (with sharp toe). It just bit into my skin and deep enough to draw blood.
Sting like a mother****** when I applied alum afterwards. But healing very nice now...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HenkB

Re: Nicks and cuts

Postby Thug » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:49 am

I get them periodically but nowhere near as bad as that.
Thug

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:58 am

I had a bad one like that once Henk. Rub some Vitamin E when the scar heals up. That's why I changed to much slower 'wipe' stroke. you have to keep an eye on the point. Sometimes you focus on the point you are shaving and lose sight of where the point is going.

Hope it heals up quick! :thumbup:
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby HenkB » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:24 am

Thanks guys.

I agree Thug, normally it is very small. But as mentioned I lost concentration, pressure increased and did not look where the blade was going.

Anyways, it is healing up very nicely, it should be shave ready again in 2 days. :o::
HenkB

Postby Jacquers » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:00 am

Hope this doesn't turn into a competition :lol:
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby BLES » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:08 am

Come over to the safety razor group Henk. :twisted:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby HenkB » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:11 pm

BLES wrote:Come over to the safety razor group Henk. :twisted:

No ways Bles. That's why I like straights, one mishap and you are reminded that it is cold, sharp steel. I only shave with DE if I am in a hurry and I know that I do not have to concentrate.
HenkB

Postby BLES » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:30 pm

HenkB wrote:
BLES wrote:Come over to the safety razor group Henk. :twisted:

No ways Bles. That's why I like straights, one mishap and you are reminded that it is cold, sharp steel. I only shave with DE if I am in a hurry and I know that I do not have to concentrate.

Damn, I tried. :lol: I really admire you guys shaving with the straights but it’s not for me mostly due to time constraint. I have to shave every day and with my morning runs before work I simply don’t have the time for stropping and concentrating on shaving. That’s why I got rid of my straights a while back. In future I’ll rather invest in a proper shavette for when I’m going on my annual leave and time permits to concentrate.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby JAYDEE » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:40 am

Something like that happened to me once when I used a Feather blade. It took two hours for the bleeding to stop and I was nauseous, not to mention how unbearable the pain was. :oops:
JEFF
JAYDEE

Postby suleimanshaik » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi All

That's enough for me to scratch Straights of my bucket lists - for good.

Like Bles, I am happy with the DE and I guess the closest I will get to a Straight, is a SE..
:-)

I admire you all for having th skills & patients to use Straights - however, I am now more than convinced that DE and maybe SE is for me..

Keep well guys and plz, be safe
SS
suleimanshaik

Postby Jacquers » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:21 am

I had a cut on my leg (healed now) from a straight razor... don't ask :)
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby deepsouth » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:52 am

suleimanshaik wrote:Hi All

Like Bles, I am happy with the DE and I guess the closest I will get to a Straight, is a SE..

I admire you all for having th skills & patients to use Straights - however, I am now more than convinced that DE and maybe SE is for me..

SS

It only takes practice, like everything. In my view the traditional straight can be a beast or not - it depends on how sharp it is. Dull razors (although they feel sharp) is a recipe for disaster and that's where the nicks and cuts usually come from. Honing your skill with a straight can also produce nicks/cuts. I have a scar to prove it :-)

Sharpening a straight is another skill to learn and in my view harder than actually using it.

I tried to hone, but it's a science and a time consuming art - I don't have the patience and am loving my replacable kark sharp Feather Super pro blades in the DX razor.

Don't write it off yet, you may find that it's right up your alley
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby dappershaves » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:17 pm

deepsouth wrote:
suleimanshaik wrote:Hi All

SS

It only takes practice, like everything. In my view the traditional straight can be a beast or not - it depends on how sharp it is. Dull razors (although they feel sharp) is a recipe for disaster and that's where the nicks and cuts usually come from. Honing your skill with a straight can also produce nicks/cuts. I have a scar to prove it :-)

Sharpening a straight is another skill to learn and in my view harder than actually using it.

I tried to hone, but it's a science and a time consuming art - I don't have the patience and am loving my replacable kark sharp Feather Super pro blades in the DX razor.

Don't write it off yet, you may find that it's right up your alley

If you need your razor honed, let me know. I will do it free, you cover shipping, or visit me in Centurion.
dappershaves

Return to First Time Wet Shavers