Projects on the desk

When we're not sourcing that hard to come by shave soap or that rare straight razor we find our selves pursuing an activity or unique interest, let's hear what keeps us busy!

Projects on the desk

Postby BLES » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:17 pm

Currently on my desk is a painting I'm doing and a shaving brush handle I'm doing for Chris...

P1040929.jpg

P1040925.jpg

Let's see those projects you're currently busty with. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Re: Projects on the desk

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:52 pm

Wow! Some good stuff on the go there BLES :)
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Thug » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:08 pm

Very nice Bles.

I don't have any projects on the go although I recently finished rebuilding my single speed after a re-spray of the frame/fork & rims.
Thug

Postby Chrisvo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:38 pm

Love the painting! And the brush, all three parts. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Project lately is getting a grey water system going, to include the washing machine, three bathrooms and then a separate tank for the back wash water from the pool. Water is getting a bit tight here so every bit counts.
Chrisvo

Postby Chrisvo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:40 pm

Thug wrote:Very nice Bles.

I don't have any projects on the go although I recently finished rebuilding my single speed after a re-spray of the frame/fork & rims.

You know what is funny. I really thought you were talking about a double edged razor there for a minute.... yeah.. I read super speed instead of single speed.
Chrisvo

Postby DAVEP » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:46 pm

Chrisvo wrote:

You know what is funny. I really thought you were talking about a double edged razor there for a minute.... yeah.. I read super speed instead of single speed.

Must have been a blond moment bwaha
DAVEP

Postby BLES » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:18 am

I don't hear the tree fall.... :lol: :lol: :lol: Can you JB? :twisted:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby BLES » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:19 am

Chrisvo wrote:Love the painting! And the brush, all three parts. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Project lately is getting a grey water system going, to include the washing machine, three bathrooms and then a separate tank for the back wash water from the pool. Water is getting a bit tight here so every bit counts.

What are you using for the system?
BLES

Postby Gaza365 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:42 am

Chrisvo wrote:Love the painting! And the brush, all three parts. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Im Also looking at getting a grey water system going, fortunatley my house is a fair bit higher than the garden with a "stoep" midway between house and garden, so I can rely on gravity without the need for pumps ettc, im still reading up on a what i can do to filter the water, but it will pretty much be for watering the garden and such.

I got a couple of Jojo tanks already... got them directly from Jojo in Pretoria, saved a few hundred rand on each one doing it that way (although i did collect myself while i was in the area, since they dont deliver to a residential address)
Gaza365

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:05 am

We are having water shut off's every night from 10pm to 4:30am. I am looking at a setup similar to an electric UPS but for water. You plumb your jojo tank into the mains, then hook it up to a water pump with a pressure valve so whe the council cuts the water, the jojo tank then takes over the feed into main water pipe. good to keep the toilets going etc.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Chrisvo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:37 pm

BLES wrote:

What are you using for the system?

PVC piping and fittings from bathroom and laundry outlets, cut off at exit into the drain, to redirect the grey water to a 500 litre or 1000 litre tank, use a floater pump/switch to keep the water from building up too high, then a normal pump from the tank, through irrigation piping, towards an outside tap at the same pressure of the council water in order to be able to fit a hose or sprinkler system.

That's the basics anyway. I'm discussing it with a friend who recently did his home conversion.
Last edited by Chrisvo on Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrisvo

Postby Chrisvo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:46 pm

Gaza365 wrote:

Im Also looking at getting a grey water system going, fortunatley my house is a fair bit higher than the garden with a "stoep" midway between house and garden, so I can rely on gravity without the need for pumps ettc, im still reading up on a what i can do to filter the water, but it will pretty much be for watering the garden and such.

I got a couple of Jojo tanks already... got them directly from Jojo in Pretoria, saved a few hundred rand on each one doing it that way (although i did collect myself while i was in the area, since they dont deliver to a residential address)

Invest in a proper pump. Otherwise your water flow is severely limited. Some tanks come with basic grey water filters that sift most of the soap scum, dirt and other detergents out to a certain degree. Not drinkable at all though. You need a proper, clean water filtration system for that, you can build one yourself and fit it to your grey water system if you like. However, this is mainly to be able to keep on watering your garden and making most of the use of the water you currently do use.

In the future I plan to use two 5000 litre Jojo tanks, one in the front yard and one in the back, to store rain water for potable uses and those will require proper filtration systems. At the moment, it's rather moot, little to no rain, so the grey water system is next in line.
Chrisvo

Postby BLES » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:27 am

When I bought the Ever Ready “1914” it came with a black wooden case which was in a poor condition. The seller had to keep it close with elastic bands as the only thing keeping it close was the clip which was only kept together by literally 3 yarn threads.
I gave it a lot of thought if I want to bother repairing it so I decided I will give it a quick make-over to serve as a prop in my SOTD photos.
Here are some before photos.
P1070194.jpg

P1070195.jpg

P1070196.jpg

I removed the logo and gave it a quick clean up, removed the old felt material which was supposed to be red belief it or not. The felt was glued on carton sheets which I re-used.
P1070197.jpg

P1070198.jpg

P1070201.jpg

P1070202.jpg

P1070203.jpg

The strap I glued together with a Five Second fix which is elastic once dried.
P1070200.jpg

P1070207.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BLES

Postby BLES » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:30 am

P1070205.jpg

Basically the lid was attached to the box with glue paper and torn after the year’s wear and tear. I re-applied a new glue strip piece of paper to attach the lid and covered it with a small piece of material. The felt I bought had already glue on the back and I didn’t want ta cover the glue paper with it directly as it would cause problems with the opening and closing of the lid. I will cover the piece of material with the felt when I resume the project.
P1070211.jpg

P1070208.jpg

P1070209.jpg

P1070210.jpg

P1070212.jpg

This is where I’m currently with the box.
before and after.jpg
BLES

Postby Jacquers » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:35 am

Nice restore :thumbup:
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby Thug » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:45 am

Well done Bles.
Thug

Postby deepsouth » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:56 am

Lekker restore there Bles ! I like the red, is that a metal badge? Does look like one
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:20 am

Great job BLES. I was replacing the window putty this weekend... Damn that putty!! :x There must be an easier way... :oo
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Mikaar » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Wow that restoration turned out very well Bles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mikaar