Collecting Things

When we're not sourcing that hard to come by shave soap or that rare straight razor we find our selves pursuing an activity or unique interest, let's hear what keeps us busy!

Collecting Things

Postby Chrisvo » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:45 am

One of my favourite things to do is to collect. Started with coins, moved on to war medals, war tins, razors, antiques. Strange the sort of things one can find out there.

Starting this thread to show some of my finds but to also allow others to show anything else they collect or aspire to collect. Yes, even those vintage automobiles we all dream about.

Show your stuff!
Chrisvo

Re: Collecting Things

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:48 am

This should be fun thread!
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Chrisvo » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:08 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:This should be fun thread!

Tell me about it. My desk is a bit messy from all the boxes I've kept that used to store the items I've collected. The boxes do come in handy for packaging purposes though which is why I keep them.

I also love the human interaction that comes with collecting old trinkets and pieces of history. And the negotiation of a price. It's a pity we don't have more garage sales or estate sales in South Africa as I would love to spend my days traveling around.
Chrisvo

Postby Chrisvo » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:09 pm

Received the Display Cabinet I brought off of Bid or Buy. I asked the seller to pack it extremely carefully and he promised he would use foam and lots and lots of bubble wrap. Instead, one layer of bubble wrap was used, some plastic sheeting and no foam. Cabinet arrived with its glass shattered. Luckily the seller has assumed responsibility and has promised to refund the cost of the new glass pane.

Thought I would show how I intend to use it. The new glass needs to be cleaned properly though, otherwise it is a really nice vintage cabinet. Sorry for the reflection..

Display.JPG

Display2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chrisvo

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:33 pm

Chrisvo wrote:Received the Display Cabinet I brought off of Bid or Buy. I asked the seller to pack it extremely carefully and he promised he would use foam and lots and lots of bubble wrap. Instead, one layer of bubble wrap was used, some plastic sheeting and no foam. Cabinet arrived with its glass shattered. Luckily the seller has assumed responsibility and has promised to refund the cost of the new glass pane.

Thought I would show how I intend to use it. The new glass needs to be cleaned properly though, otherwise it is a really nice vintage cabinet. Sorry for the reflection..

Display.JPG

Display2.JPG

Very nice display there ChrisVo! :thumbup:
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Chrisvo » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:37 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:
Chrisvo wrote:Received the Display Cabinet I brought off of Bid or Buy. I asked the seller to pack it extremely carefully and he promised he would use foam and lots and lots of bubble wrap. Instead, one layer of bubble wrap was used, some plastic sheeting and no foam. Cabinet arrived with its glass shattered. Luckily the seller has assumed responsibility and has promised to refund the cost of the new glass pane.

Display.JPG

Display2.JPG

Very nice display there ChrisVo! :thumbup:

Thank you. I need a better camera. Sometimes it focuses perfectly but the delay whilst taking the picture often results in a slightly blurred view.
Chrisvo

Postby Thug » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:08 am

Great display Chrisvo.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:17 am

Also, picked up another old scuttle at the Flea market on Wednesday. Will post a pic as soon as I get it cleaned up nice.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby AndreV » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:30 am

Thats very nice Chrisvo. Well done!!
Shaving like it should be done!!
AndreV

Postby Chrisvo » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:46 pm

Thanks guys. Cleaned the glass and the interior last night. Used to be a store display I guess. Nice size, with easy access via the back which can also be locked. Perfect for my razor sets, mugs and other shaving odds and ends.
Chrisvo

Postby Chrisvo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:34 pm

No new razors but I did find something I have been looking for for a number of years. A 1914 Princess Mary Bullet Pencil.

I found the pencil and bullet nib awhile back but never with the casing, which is what I found today. I'll have to post a bit later after taking some pictures. However, I did use the pencil and bullet nib in a SOTD picture a couple months ago..

SOTDSundayShaveRed.JPG

The casing is monogrammed with an 'M' and the bullet is sterling silver. Pencil included!

600th post, wooop!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chrisvo

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:05 pm

Nice find ChrisVo. :thumbup:
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Chrisvo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:43 pm

Thanks RVT.

Here are some pictures of the pencil, casing and bullet.

PMBulletPencil.JPG

PMBulletPencil2.JPG

The under-side of the casing.

PMBulletPencil3.JPG
Chrisvo

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:15 pm

Chrisvo wrote:Thanks RVT.

PMBulletPencil.JPG

PMBulletPencil2.JPG

PMBulletPencil3.JPG

Nice. I'm thinking a Bullet would make a cool razor handle as well.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Chrisvo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:27 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:

PMBulletPencil.JPG

PMBulletPencil2.JPG

PMBulletPencil3.JPG

Nice. I'm thinking a Bullet would make a cool razor handle as well.

I think there is an American company that does exactly that.
Chrisvo

Postby AndreV » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:11 pm

PMBulletPencil.JPG

PMBulletPencil2.JPG

PMBulletPencil3.JPG

Very nice find Chrisvo!!
Shaving like it should be done!!
AndreV

Postby Chrisvo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:00 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Also, picked up another old scuttle at the Flea market on Wednesday. Will post a pic as soon as I get it cleaned up nice.

We're still waiting on your new scuttle RVT! Have you cleaned it up yet?
Chrisvo

Postby Chrisvo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:11 pm

AndreV wrote:Very nice find Chrisvo!!

Thank you Andre. Been waiting awhile for this one. Still hoping to find one of the small 1914 leather binders that held blank papers for the soldiers to write with the pencil on.

PM-Gift-Box.jpg

There were different sets, depending on the wishes of the soldiers, nurses and other personal, that could be chosen upon receiving the gift box. The most common version was the tin with tobacco and cigarettes, a pipe and a tinder lighter of some sort. Others included the pencil and binder, sweets for the nurses and spices for the Indian troops.

The packages also have slight variations in how the gifts looked as they were made by several different supply companies. There are seven different variations for the tin alone..
Chrisvo

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:19 pm

Thanks for the reminder CrhisVo. Picked up this vintage shaving scuttle at the Wednesday night flea market here in Durban. Sadly, it looks as if the days are numbered for the flea market.

Anyway, I got the scuttle cleaned up as best as I could (didn't want to risk doing any damage to it - it looks quite old) . These shaving scuttles were from the days before indoor plumbing and running water.

Apparently it went something like this: One of the family members (or servant) had to go outside and heat up a bucket of water (this might have involved chopping wood for the fire!). The hot water was then poured into various bowls and vessels throughout the house. One of them would be Dad's shaving scuttle. The bottom section would be filled up with water and the shave brush would be soaked in the spout end. The soap would sit on the top section and the heat from the water below would soften it up. You would then proceed load up the brush and face lather. All the water you needed would be contained in the scuttle.

I tried using a similar style scuttle a while back. It works ok, but it seems the brush knots were far smaller back in the old days. However, I must say that this scuttle has a huge spout and you can easily fit in a fairly decent size brush.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Chrisvo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:27 pm

Now that's a proper scuttle! Great find!

I always find that the bottom of these old scuttles have some black mold or dirt that cannot be removed with normal cleaners. Not that it hampers using them but it does detract from the look.

I remember as a kid we used to have a few more markets and antique stores around where I lived. Died down considerably with the introduction of online trading though with only the bigger, more touristy places remaining open. It's a pity, the hunt and interaction is half the fun..
Chrisvo

Next

Return to The Hobbyist