BEST TIME OF THE DAY TO RUN/CYCLE

When we're not sourcing that hard to come by shave soap or that rare straight razor we find our selves pursuing an activity or unique interest, let's hear what keeps us busy!

BEST TIME OF THE DAY TO RUN/CYCLE

Postby BLES » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:27 pm

For me personally I like running at 04:00 in the mornings. In winter it is a bit of a challenge but for now in summer I just enjoy the quietness that comes with it. It gives me time to focus on the small things one doesn’t really pick up during the rest of the day. You can literally see the city awake. Here and there one see residential lights turning on as people awoke. You see newspaper trucks delivering newspapers at the street corners, hear the birds start chirping and I can even hear the mechanical click sound the traffic lights make when it changed colour. To me there is no better time of the day to exercise and clear your head than 4:00 in the mornings.

What is the best time of the day for you to run/cycle?
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Re: BEST TIME OF THE DAY TO RUN/CYCLE

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:40 pm

4am :shock: Wow! My alarm to wake up is set at 4:45.. And somehow I still a manage to end up being late.. :oo
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:48 pm

My alarm is set for 03:15. :lol:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby Thug » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:54 pm

If I plan on cycling, I normally wake up at 4:15 and leave the house at 4:30 (I have a cup of coffee in that 15 minute spell). Get home around 5:45.

If running, it all depends on the mileage but generally I'll wake up at 4:50 to go for a 5-6 km run.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:34 pm

Thug wrote:If I plan on cycling, I normally wake up at 4:15 and leave the house at 4:30 (I have a cup of coffee in that 15 minute spell). Get home around 5:45.

If running, it all depends on the mileage but generally I'll wake up at 4:50 to go for a 5-6 km run.

:shock: I'm still hitting the snooze button while you're nearing the halfway mark... :oo
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:16 am

Thug wrote:If I plan on cycling, I normally wake up at 4:15 and leave the house at 4:30 (I have a cup of coffee in that 15 minute spell). Get home around 5:45.

It is definitely a good time to run and cycle Thug. I would also have preferred to rather run this time in the mornings although a bit too late for me as I have to depart for work at 05:30 in the mornings. I also only manage to get a 5-6km in in the mornings and go for longer distances over the week-ends ranging anything from 8-12km. I used to enter a race every Saturday but lately they are ridiculous with the entry fees therefore I only enter for one and sometimes two races per month. It wouldn't be that expensive if it was only me entering but both my sons also participate making the entry money a bit steep for 3 of us 4 times a month. :oo
BLES

Postby HenkB » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:13 am

I also wake up 3:15 and go for a cycle at 4am until 5:45. Then quick shower, get the kids ready for school (they need to be at school at 7am) and then the workday starts.

I agree Bles, it is the nicest feeling to wake up and while busy, see how nature wakes up...I love the solitude while out cycling...
HenkB

Postby BLES » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:19 am

It seems we only have morning runners and cyclists on this forum. Should we therefore make the conclusion that all wets shavers are morning people? :twisted: :lol:
BLES

Postby HenkB » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:26 am

Reasonable conclusion...But I normally shave in the evening since there is no time in the morning...
HenkB

Postby Thug » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:21 pm

I cycled this morning and got home around 5:55 which is slightly later than normal.

Still had my normal shave and then breakfast thereafter. With the traffic being relatively free-flowing at the moment, I was still at work by 7.
Thug

Postby Jacquers » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:44 pm

If I cycle during the week then it's usually after work at a local off road track. I'm not a morning person... but maybe I should try the early morning cycle thing, might be nice in summer.

As for running / jogging, I dislike it a lot. Even when I was very bike fit I couldn't run 5 km, but it's also because I tend to run too fast (need to pace myself better) and then get tired quickly. But I do need to do some cross-training so I might start running again, probably in the mornings.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby BLES » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:35 am

Jacquers wrote:As for running / jogging, I dislike it a lot. Even when I was very bike fit I couldn't run 5 km, but it's also because I tend to run too fast (need to pace myself better) and then get tired quickly. But I do need to do some cross-training so I might start running again, probably in the mornings.

A common mistake people do when starting out is to go out to fast and far. My motto is rather to start out slow and finish strong. If you don’t have a running watch to monitor your pace you can always work out a 5km route and make a mark at every 1k. If you plan to start running at 6min per km you will know when your reach the mark it should be 6min on your timer of your watch, 12 min on the 2k and onwards. If you reach the mark before 6 min you know you must slow down and vice versa for when you’re over the 6 min at the mark. I used this method before I invested in a GPS watch and it worked like a charm although you had to do some calculations along the way.
If you do this 3 times a week for a few weeks you’ll be ready to start adjusting your pace time and who knows, you might just start like running. :D I must warn you however, it becomes addictive. :oo
BLES

Postby Jacquers » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:47 am

I sometimes get the urge to go for a jog, but then I sit or lie down and it quickly goes away :lol:

Seriously though, thanks for the advice. When I was fitter and did some jogging I did start to enjoy it.
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:49 am

The only time you will see me running is if it's for my life :)
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby HenkB » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:23 am

I played prop for semi-professional rugby teams. my excuse is that my upperbody is now to heave for my knees. If I start running now, I will need knee implants in a couple of year's times.
HenkB

Postby BLES » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:55 am

Jacquers wrote:I sometimes get the urge to go for a jog, but then I sit or lie down and it quickly goes away :lol:

The hardest part of running for at least the first 2-3 weeks is to get out the front gate... :D
BLES

Postby BLES » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:59 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:The only time you will see me running is if it's for my life :)

You'll be amaze from what else some people run from… :lol:
BLES

Postby BLES » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:02 pm

HenkB wrote:I played prop for semi-professional rugby teams. my excuse is that my upperbody is now to heave for my knees. If I start running now, I will need knee implants in a couple of year's times.

Running might just be the answer to prolong that implants.. :twisted:
BLES

Postby Thug » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:46 pm

Jacquers wrote:I sometimes get the urge to go for a jog, but then I sit or lie down and it quickly goes away :lol:

RiverValleyTrading wrote:The only time you will see me running is if it's for my life :)

This thread is full of jokers. :lol:
Thug

Postby HenkB » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:21 am

Thug wrote:

This thread is full of jokers. :lol:

No Thug, they are running away with the thread!
HenkB

Return to The Hobbyist