Race 2 Rhodes

When we're not sourcing that hard to come by shave soap or that rare straight razor we find our selves pursuing an activity or unique interest, let's hear what keeps us busy!

Race 2 Rhodes

Postby Thug » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:36 am

So after thinking about it for a couple of years, I decided to enter this 500km non-stop event.

If a good mate of mine can attempt the complete Freedom Challenge (Dirt Rider), there is absolutely no reason why I can't do the shorter event.

I'll be attending tonight's talk in Joburg which I'm looking forward to.

Oh, I'll also be riding my singlespeed.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Re: Race 2 Rhodes

Postby BLES » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:45 am

Great stuff Thug. :clap: It is important to have a bucket list but even more important to start ticking them off. When does it start?
For a couple of years now I've been thinking of entering the Comrades marathon but I think I still need a few years to think…. :lol:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:22 am

BLES wrote:Great stuff Thug. :clap: It is important to have a bucket list but even more important to start ticking them off. When does it start?
For a couple of years now I've been thinking of entering the Comrades marathon but I think I still need a few years to think…. :lol:

Comrades :shock: We used to volunteer at the finish (Medical tent) :shock: :shock: :shock:

I won't go into detail about some of the incidents (definitely not for sensitive readers). Let me just say that you don't see it on TV, but it ends up looking like World War II. People lying on stretchers everywhere. Having said that, the Volunteer doctors and medical staff are amazing. :thumbup:

The incredible part is that even the guys who are looking an inch away from death ("never again!", they say) , all come back the next year to have another go... :oo
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby HenkB » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:11 am

Awesome Thug.
On a single speed nogals? Dit wil gedoen wees.

I have some bucketlists on MTB that I want to tick. Joburg2C, Lesotho Skyride and then I have unfinished business with 3Mountains in Clocolan.

Good luck with the training etc. I am in all earnest busy with training on my side, first race again is the fast one in Van der Bijl in Jan 2016.
HenkB

Postby AndreV » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:10 am

Hat off to you Thug.

I follow both the Dash to Rhodes and Freedom Challenge every year. It's such an awesome event and the locals on the way the most helpful i have ever read about opening their homes to riders.
All the best in your venture.

The closest i have come to an event of this size is the Trans Baviaans.
I have just recently gotten back into serious training though after taking time off the bike for a year. WOW, how much haven't I missed it!!!
Shaving like it should be done!!
AndreV

Postby Thug » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:54 am

Thanks guys.

I come from an Adventure Racing background having done multiple long distance races including a 570km race, so I'm pretty use to being sleep deprived.

The only items that I would need to purchase are:
- Sealskinz socks
- Proper winter gloves
- Shoes that I can walk in
- Probably a Dynamo & Light (Just think it's far easier than having to carry spare battery packs and also having to stop because you need to charge batteries).
Thug

Postby HenkB » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:59 am

Thug wrote:Thanks guys.

I come from an Adventure Racing background having done multiple long distance races including a 570km race, so I'm pretty use to being sleep deprived.

- Sealskinz socks
- Proper winter gloves
- Probably a Dynamo & Light (Just think it's far easier than having to carry spare battery packs and also having to stop because you need to charge batteries).

I like the ideas about a dynamo... you can have the normal light swithched on when you go through the hair raising stuff, but for normal road conserve battery power and use the dynamo...
HenkB

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:00 pm

Thug wrote:Thanks guys.

- Sealskinz socks
- Proper winter gloves

Sounds like a hell of a journey. I think go with an easy face lathering cream, and maybe the Muhle R106 with the Muhle synthetic brush. :thumbup:
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Thug » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:12 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:
Sounds like a hell of a journey. I think go with an easy face lathering cream, and maybe the Muhle R106 with the Muhle synthetic brush. :thumbup:

This will be one journey where shaving takes a back seat. :lol:
Thug

Postby Thug » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:14 pm

HenkB wrote:I like the ideas about a dynamo... you can have the normal light swithched on when you go through the hair raising stuff, but for normal road conserve battery power and use the dynamo...

The bar light would be plugged into the Dynamo and I'd have a headlamp on my helmet.
Thug

Return to The Hobbyist