WHAT ARE YOUR HOBBIES?

When we're not sourcing that hard to come by shave soap or that rare straight razor we find our selves pursuing an activity or unique interest, let's hear what keeps us busy!

WHAT ARE YOUR HOBBIES?

Postby BLES » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:39 am

I always tell my wife by saying I’m ready for pension as I have quite a lot of hobbies to keep me busy with.

Here is a list of the stuff I call hobbies which occupies me most of the time.

I think it is fair to call it a hobby if one belongs to a forum chatting and sharing ideas about a hobby like this forum for example? I currently belong to 5 forums including this one.

- Coffee and visiting coffee shops
- Wet shaving
- Cigars and pipes
- Running
- Cycling
- Painting
- Building scale models: Mostly of SAAF aircraft and themes of WWII and Vietnam
- Collecting Law Enforcement caps and badges
- Collecting red wine
- Reading
- Then there are stuff like vintage pens, watches, jackets, pocket squares, boutonnieres, ties and hats that fascinates me a lot. I’m always on the lookout for these items.
- Then I also have a golf set in the corner of my study room. I only played 4 times. I must admit that I suck in this game but hopefully in future when time permits I will be able to spend more time on a golf course to master this game.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Re: WHAT ARE YOUR HOBBIES?

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:50 am

BLES wrote:I always tell my wife by saying I’m ready for pension as I have quite a lot of hobbies to keep me busy with.

I think it is fair to call it a hobby if one belongs to a forum chatting and sharing ideas about a hobby like this forum for example? I currently belong to 5 forums including this one.

- Wet shaving
- Cigars and pipes
- Running
- Cycling
- Painting
- Collecting red wine
- Reading
- Then there are stuff like vintage pens, watches, jackets, pocket squares, boutonnieres, ties and hats that fascinates me a lot. I’m always on the lookout for these items.
- Then I also have a golf set in the corner of my study room. I only played 4 times. I must admit that I suck in this game but hopefully in future when time permits I will be able to spend more time on a golf course to master this game.

Wet shaving, movies & books. Used to read comics back in the day (Still have some old ones in boxes at home).
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby HenkB » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:20 am

I also have a couple

Wet shaving
MTB'ing
Collecting guns (handguns and shotguns especially)
Long Range Hunting
Bow Hunting (with compound and traditional bow)

I also do woodwork (was my first love when I was a young laaitie, bit by bit I am getting all the equipment)

Reading. I am a ferocious reader, and I browse a lot of 2nd hand bookshops, otherwise I will be bankrupt if I buy new books the whole time
HenkB

Postby Vintage1973 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:35 am

BLES wrote:I always tell my wife by saying I’m ready for pension as I have quite a lot of hobbies to keep me busy with.

- Wet shaving
- Cigars and pipes
- Running
- Cycling
- Painting
- Collecting red wine
- Reading

That's quite the list, Bles!

My (much shorter) list:

Wet Shaving & accompanying collection of razors, brushes, soaps...
Collecting red wine
Coffee addiction & appreciation
Reading
Music
Building scale military vehicles (love Tamiya kits) - currently doing King Tiger tank
Collecting pipes (supporting my friend Ebenhart, in reality). He is a pipe-maker
Collecting movies
Tennis & squash

Don't worry - I also suck at golf... :D
Vintage1973

Postby BLES » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:20 pm

V'73, I see we have quite a lot in common when it comes to hobbies :lol: O ja, Eberhard’s pipes are beautiful! I looked a few times at his website. One of his pipes will definitely be a “to me from me” gift one day.

Currently on the bench I have a 1:48 SAAF T-6 Harvard, 1:72 SAAF Puma, 1:35 VAB 4X4, 1:48 SAAF Buccaneer, 1:35 Schwimmwagen and 1:35 BMW R75.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby Riaanb » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:35 pm

Currently mine is...

Wet shaving
Music
Movies
TV Series
Books (specially historical books, biblical and Russian history.
Comic Graphic novels for time to time

in the past..

lost of comics (sold all of them now)
Bonsai
Fish/thanks
Playing cards (still have some)
"Every time I go and shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving. So I say, 'I'm gonna go shave, too.'
Mitch Hedberg
Riaanb

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:02 pm

Riaanb wrote:Currently mine is...

Wet shaving
Music
Movies
TV Series

in the past..

Bonsai
Fish/thanks

My brother and I were big into into tropical fish in our young days. He made an awesome tank. I remember the whole filtration system was almost as big as the tank. :D
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Thug » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:07 pm

- Wet shaving
- Cigars and pipes
- Running
- Cycling
- Painting
- Collecting red wine
- Reading

Do you have time for a job? ;) :lol:
Thug

Postby Thug » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:10 pm

In no particular order...

Trail running
Mountain biking - in general
Singlespeeding - in particular
Duathlons
Wet Shaving
Reading
Thug

Postby Chrisvo » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:56 pm

- Wet shaving
- Cigars and pipes
- Running
- Cycling
- Painting
- Collecting red wine
- Reading

Wow Bles, that's quite a list.

I obviously collect razors but I also love to collect antiques, old silver and gold ZAR coins, war medals and old military insignias. I've tried to keep my focus small as it can get quite expensive in the long run.
Chrisvo

Postby BLES » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:14 am

Thug wrote:
Do you have time for a job? ;) :lol:

I guess that’s where time management comes in. ;) Remember that I don’t do these things simultaneously. To fit my running and cycling in me wake up at 3:30 in the morning because from 16:00 till 20:00 is family time in our home.

For my cigars for instance I only rotate them once a month and every 2nd week I fill up the water level with distilled water. The key is you don’t want to open the humidor too often because you want to maintain the humid level between 65 and 75%. This allows one to work on other hobbies which also have their own processes and timeframes. Like with scale models most of the paint I use is oil base which I allows too dry for a day or two depending on the size of the object.
I have a painting I started with about a month ago that I didn’t touch on for the last two weeks.
Sitting in front of the TV for me feels like a waste of time. Therefor I would rather sit for two hours in my study room fiddling on one of my hobbies and feel much more relaxed thereafter. :D

Hey but that’s just me. Luckily people differs otherwise this world of us would be quite boring :lol:
BLES

Postby BLES » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:20 am

Chrisvo wrote: I've tried to keep my focus small as it can get quite expensive in the long run.

Wouldn't you say my focus is small? :twisted: Military stuff can be quite expensive. I collected at a stage air force stuff which included flight helmets and flight suits as well. I sold the complete collection on another forum as it became too expensive and took a lot of storage. :oo
BLES

Postby BLES » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:22 am

Thug wrote:In no particular order...

Trail running
Mountain biking - in general
Singlespeeding - in particular
Duathlons
Wet Shaving
Reading

Great hobbies. :thumbup: Do you run competitive?
BLES

Postby BLES » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:25 am

Wet shaving
Music
Movies
TV Series

in the past..

Bonsai
Fish/thanks

If you say movies and TV series, do you watch them or collect them or both?
BLES

Postby BLES » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:31 am

HenkB wrote:I also have a couple

Wet shaving
MTB'ing
Long Range Hunting

I also do woodwork (was my first love when I was a young laaitie, bit by bit I am getting all the equipment)

Reading. I am a ferocious reader, and I browse a lot of 2nd hand bookshops, otherwise I will be bankrupt if I buy new books the whole time

The gun collection can be quite an expensive hobby itself and then one must also take into account the competency and licencing fees which needs to be respectively renewed every five or ten years and I suppose you also belong to club/s which also has its own fees?
BLES

Postby Thug » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:49 am

[
BLES wrote:Great hobbies. :thumbup: Do you run competitive?

Not really.

I did get provincial and national colours for duathlon 4 years ago but I've never seen myself as a competitive runner or cyclist for that matter. Just enjoy the sports.
Thug

Postby Riaanb » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:55 am

BLES wrote:

Wet shaving
Music
Movies
TV Series

in the past..

Bonsai
Fish/thanks

If you say movies and TV series, do you watch them or collect them or both?

Both in a way watch yes, buy no, but do collect :roll:
"Every time I go and shave, I assume there's someone else on the planet shaving. So I say, 'I'm gonna go shave, too.'
Mitch Hedberg
Riaanb

Postby HenkB » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:09 am

BLES wrote:
HenkB wrote:I also have a couple

Wet shaving
MTB'ing
Long Range Hunting

The gun collection can be quite an expensive hobby itself and then one must also take into account the competency and licencing fees which needs to be respectively renewed every five or ten years and I suppose you also belong to club/s which also has its own fees?

Thats true.

But I have dedicated sport shooter and dedicated hunter membership with one of the top organizations. I am very careful about which guns I buy, it normally is those guns that are required for a specific purpose. I also do my own reloading (except for rimfire and shotgun), so that is very nice to play with different loads to achieve maximum accuracy.

Competency is not so much, R1000 once off, licensing is R140 per gun, renewable every 10 years. Ammo is expensive if you buy it (reason why I also load myself) and association fees are about R500/year. What is expensive is the hunting... :shock:
HenkB

Postby admin » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:25 am

HenkB wrote:Bow Hunting (with compound and traditional bow)

Aha a fellow Bowman :wave:

I only have a compound though, Mathews Monster 7.0, dialed in at 70 Pounds. Just don't get enough time to shoot anymore :( Was thinking of going around to http://surefocus.co.za/ and throwing a few arrows around maybe this weekend - have you tried this range before HenkB?
Master Shave | The Home of Wet Shaving Enthusiasts |Links: Image Image
admin
Site Admin

Postby HenkB » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:56 am

admin wrote:
HenkB wrote:Bow Hunting (with compound and traditional bow)

Aha a fellow Bowman :wave:

I only have a compound though, Mathews Monster 7.0, dialed in at 70 Pounds. Just don't get enough time to shoot anymore :( Was thinking of going around to http://surefocus.co.za/ and throwing a few arrows around maybe this weekend - have you tried this range before HenkB?

Hallo fellow Bowman :clap: :thumbup:

No, have not tried that range yet. I am in Centurion, so there are limited ranges here for bowshooting. Nice Bow there, Monsters are awesome.

I have Elite Energy 35, set currently at 80 pounds. Used to have a Hoyt at 94pounds, but just fell in love with the Elite.

Do you do hunting as well, and are you active on the bow forums?
HenkB

Next

Return to The Hobbyist