Coffee (proper)

Can't get started without that first cup of coffee? Here is where you can get your morning buzz about all things coffee related. In addition to grounded conversation, you can find reviews on both homebrew and commercial coffee products. Java, Latte, Cappuccino…whatever your caffeine drug of choice, you can find it here!

Coffee (proper)

Postby deepsouth » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:11 pm

I'm a huge fan of south american coffees - especially Colombian, Honduran, Peruvian and Brazilian. I do enjoy a few from Africa too. My go to is a double espresso. I've found a local importer and roaster of green beans and am faithfully supporting him monthly.

A few years ago I splashed on a Jura automatic and have been using it daily with no hiccups. The only downside is that I struggle to drink coffee at restaurants/friends anymore and tend to drink tea (hard to be disappointed) With the heatwave we're having I've been making a lot of iced coffees and am keen to try a cold brew at some point.

The coffee "scene" in Cape Town is alright, (hipsters *sigh*) but the cafe culture in SA is a bit weak.

Who here drinks it ? What's your poison?
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Re: Coffee (proper)

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:32 pm

deepsouth wrote:I'm a huge fan of south american coffees - especially Colombian, Honduran, Peruvian and Brazilian. I do enjoy a few from Africa too. My go to is a double espresso. I've found a local importer and roaster of green beans and am faithfully supporting him monthly.

A few years ago I splashed on a Jura automatic and have been using it daily with no hiccups. The only downside is that I struggle to drink coffee at restaurants/friends anymore and tend to drink tea (hard to be disappointed) With the heatwave we're having I've been making a lot of iced coffees and am keen to try a cold brew at some point.

The coffee "scene" in Cape Town is alright, (hipsters *sigh*) but the cafe culture in SA is a bit weak.

Who here drinks it ? What's your poison?

There's quite a few coffee drinkers on the forum here check out this link : http://forums.mastershave.co.za/viewforum.php?f=46

I'm more into tea.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby deepsouth » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:55 pm

Should've searched the forum first...My bad.

I do enjoy a good cup of tea myself, I have a Nigiro kettle with loose leaf brewing insert, I have made some really good brews with it too.

Funny thing is, I don't drink a lot of coffee, but enjoy a good coffee - just like single malts. The key for me is freshness, there's a rule of 15 associated with coffee.

Green unroasted beans must be roasted before 15 months
Roasted beans must be used within 15 days
Ground beans must be used within 15 minutes (yes minutes) before it goes stale.

So if you've ever wondered how Illy's or (?) coffees taste the same the world over...They have a very specific method of burning the beans, it's all in the heat profile prior, during and post roast. Those beans are mass produced either robusta (gm stuff grown at lower altitude and higher in caffeine content) or arabica (the good stuff, grown at higher altitude and more susceptible to bugs etc) mixed for an unique taste. Most people have smelled at a pre-ground mix and thought, nice I'll buy this, just to be kind of let down at the taste. Lesser know fact, whilst being packaged an 'aroma' is injected into the bag, with a nifty one way valve. Smells nice, doesn't taste nice.Sells well. Same goes for pods too, flavored stale grounds.

Most SA'ns drink their coffee with copious amounts of milk and or sugar piping hot. Which is how it is sold, but it's not the real deal. It's was a revelation to drink good coffee - I only realised that; I've never had coffee in my entire life prior to that first cup of single origin, microlot, direct sourced beautiful bliss of freshly roasted and ground sublime coffee; everything before that was a lie - packaged, sold and profited. Acid washed gloop.

I get carried away when talking about coffee...
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:44 pm

Wow! thank for the info. I see you are quite deeply invested into you coffee drinking experience. I think Vintage is the guy on the forum you need to chat to :)
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Thug » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:28 pm

deepsouth wrote:Should've searched the forum first...My bad.

I do enjoy a good cup of tea myself, I have a Nigiro kettle with loose leaf brewing insert, I have made some really good brews with it too.

Funny thing is, I don't drink a lot of coffee, but enjoy a good coffee - just like single malts. The key for me is freshness, there's a rule of 15 associated with coffee.

Green unroasted beans must be roasted before 15 months
Roasted beans must be used within 15 days
Ground beans must be used within 15 minutes (yes minutes) before it goes stale.

So if you've ever wondered how Illy's or (?) coffees taste the same the world over...They have a very specific method of burning the beans, it's all in the heat profile prior, during and post roast. Those beans are mass produced either robusta (gm stuff grown at lower altitude and higher in caffeine content) or arabica (the good stuff, grown at higher altitude and more susceptible to bugs etc) mixed for an unique taste. Most people have smelled at a pre-ground mix and thought, nice I'll buy this, just to be kind of let down at the taste. Lesser know fact, whilst being packaged an 'aroma' is injected into the bag, with a nifty one way valve. Smells nice, doesn't taste nice.Sells well. Same goes for pods too, flavored stale grounds.

Most SA'ns drink their coffee with copious amounts of milk and or sugar piping hot. Which is how it is sold, but it's not the real deal. It's was a revelation to drink good coffee - I only realised that; I've never had coffee in my entire life prior to that first cup of single origin, microlot, direct sourced beautiful bliss of freshly roasted and ground sublime coffee; everything before that was a lie - packaged, sold and profited. Acid washed gloop.

I get carried away when talking about coffee...

Great read, thanks for that info.

Me? Although I enjoy coffee and generally drink it black with no sugar, I classify myself as a coffee philistine. :lol:
Thug

Postby BLES » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:46 am

Thanks for the info. I myself find that coffee is a poison feeding my soul.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby HenkB » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:14 am

Thanks for the info.

I do like to grind my own beans and immediately into the cup for a double espresso. Not to warm, not to cold.

I like the arabica beans, nice and smooth. The darker the roast, the better, there is a more full bodied taste to the coffee, like a cheap red wine vs a R300 bottle Cab.

Cold brew is very nice, especially on hot days. Taste profile very different to normal coffee, but awesome. Try it.
HenkB

Postby AndreGrobler » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:05 pm

I also drink tea when i don't know how the coffee will be... have a family friend who drinks coffee when the tea is an unknown quantity... i often have tea whilst she is having coffee st a social gathering
AndreGrobler

Return to The Coffee Grinder