Coffee (proper)

Can't get started without that first cup of coffee? Here is where you can get your morning buzz about all things coffee related. In addition to grounded conversation, you can find reviews on both homebrew and commercial coffee products. Java, Latte, Cappuccino…whatever your caffeine drug of choice, you can find it here!

Coffee (proper)

Postby deepsouth » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:11 pm

I'm a huge fan of south american coffees - especially Colombian, Honduran, Peruvian and Brazilian. I do enjoy a few from Africa too. My go to is a double espresso. I've found a local importer and roaster of green beans and am faithfully supporting him monthly.

A few years ago I splashed on a Jura automatic and have been using it daily with no hiccups. The only downside is that I struggle to drink coffee at restaurants/friends anymore and tend to drink tea (hard to be disappointed) With the heatwave we're having I've been making a lot of iced coffees and am keen to try a cold brew at some point.

The coffee "scene" in Cape Town is alright, (hipsters *sigh*) but the cafe culture in SA is a bit weak.

Who here drinks it ? What's your poison?
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Re: Coffee (proper)

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:32 pm

deepsouth wrote:I'm a huge fan of south american coffees - especially Colombian, Honduran, Peruvian and Brazilian. I do enjoy a few from Africa too. My go to is a double espresso. I've found a local importer and roaster of green beans and am faithfully supporting him monthly.

A few years ago I splashed on a Jura automatic and have been using it daily with no hiccups. The only downside is that I struggle to drink coffee at restaurants/friends anymore and tend to drink tea (hard to be disappointed) With the heatwave we're having I've been making a lot of iced coffees and am keen to try a cold brew at some point.

The coffee "scene" in Cape Town is alright, (hipsters *sigh*) but the cafe culture in SA is a bit weak.

Who here drinks it ? What's your poison?

There's quite a few coffee drinkers on the forum here check out this link : http://forums.mastershave.co.za/viewforum.php?f=46

I'm more into tea.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby deepsouth » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:55 pm

Should've searched the forum first...My bad.

I do enjoy a good cup of tea myself, I have a Nigiro kettle with loose leaf brewing insert, I have made some really good brews with it too.

Funny thing is, I don't drink a lot of coffee, but enjoy a good coffee - just like single malts. The key for me is freshness, there's a rule of 15 associated with coffee.

Green unroasted beans must be roasted before 15 months
Roasted beans must be used within 15 days
Ground beans must be used within 15 minutes (yes minutes) before it goes stale.

So if you've ever wondered how Illy's or (?) coffees taste the same the world over...They have a very specific method of burning the beans, it's all in the heat profile prior, during and post roast. Those beans are mass produced either robusta (gm stuff grown at lower altitude and higher in caffeine content) or arabica (the good stuff, grown at higher altitude and more susceptible to bugs etc) mixed for an unique taste. Most people have smelled at a pre-ground mix and thought, nice I'll buy this, just to be kind of let down at the taste. Lesser know fact, whilst being packaged an 'aroma' is injected into the bag, with a nifty one way valve. Smells nice, doesn't taste nice.Sells well. Same goes for pods too, flavored stale grounds.

Most SA'ns drink their coffee with copious amounts of milk and or sugar piping hot. Which is how it is sold, but it's not the real deal. It's was a revelation to drink good coffee - I only realised that; I've never had coffee in my entire life prior to that first cup of single origin, microlot, direct sourced beautiful bliss of freshly roasted and ground sublime coffee; everything before that was a lie - packaged, sold and profited. Acid washed gloop.

I get carried away when talking about coffee...
deepsouth

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:44 pm

Wow! thank for the info. I see you are quite deeply invested into you coffee drinking experience. I think Vintage is the guy on the forum you need to chat to :)
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Thug » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:28 pm

deepsouth wrote:Should've searched the forum first...My bad.

I do enjoy a good cup of tea myself, I have a Nigiro kettle with loose leaf brewing insert, I have made some really good brews with it too.

Funny thing is, I don't drink a lot of coffee, but enjoy a good coffee - just like single malts. The key for me is freshness, there's a rule of 15 associated with coffee.

Green unroasted beans must be roasted before 15 months
Roasted beans must be used within 15 days
Ground beans must be used within 15 minutes (yes minutes) before it goes stale.

So if you've ever wondered how Illy's or (?) coffees taste the same the world over...They have a very specific method of burning the beans, it's all in the heat profile prior, during and post roast. Those beans are mass produced either robusta (gm stuff grown at lower altitude and higher in caffeine content) or arabica (the good stuff, grown at higher altitude and more susceptible to bugs etc) mixed for an unique taste. Most people have smelled at a pre-ground mix and thought, nice I'll buy this, just to be kind of let down at the taste. Lesser know fact, whilst being packaged an 'aroma' is injected into the bag, with a nifty one way valve. Smells nice, doesn't taste nice.Sells well. Same goes for pods too, flavored stale grounds.

Most SA'ns drink their coffee with copious amounts of milk and or sugar piping hot. Which is how it is sold, but it's not the real deal. It's was a revelation to drink good coffee - I only realised that; I've never had coffee in my entire life prior to that first cup of single origin, microlot, direct sourced beautiful bliss of freshly roasted and ground sublime coffee; everything before that was a lie - packaged, sold and profited. Acid washed gloop.

I get carried away when talking about coffee...

Great read, thanks for that info.

Me? Although I enjoy coffee and generally drink it black with no sugar, I classify myself as a coffee philistine. :lol:
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby BLES » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:46 am

Thanks for the info. I myself find that coffee is a poison feeding my soul.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby HenkB » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:14 am

Thanks for the info.

I do like to grind my own beans and immediately into the cup for a double espresso. Not to warm, not to cold.

I like the arabica beans, nice and smooth. The darker the roast, the better, there is a more full bodied taste to the coffee, like a cheap red wine vs a R300 bottle Cab.

Cold brew is very nice, especially on hot days. Taste profile very different to normal coffee, but awesome. Try it.
HenkB

Postby AndreGrobler » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:05 pm

I also drink tea when i don't know how the coffee will be... have a family friend who drinks coffee when the tea is an unknown quantity... i often have tea whilst she is having coffee st a social gathering
AndreGrobler

Postby ShaverBBS » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:46 pm

once you've aligned your palate to good coffee - there's no turning back. Coffee at an establishment without a well trained barista and fresh beans will generally disappoint.
I, myself go for the tea when at friends, in factI have been called a Coffee Snob - so these days they won't even offer me a coffee :lol:
I enjoy a ristretto, flat white and when the mood suits a nice cup of Hario or Chemex brewed pour over, all brewed with freshly ground beans no older than a month old.
ShaverBBS

Postby BLES » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:31 pm

Me and a couple of friends spoke the other day over a cup of Americano and puffing on our pipes that it is not long before they will sin tax coffee as well. As soon as people turn to something good they hit you with sin tax.... :whip
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby deepsouth » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:48 pm

Sin tax on coffee will be the spark that ignites the tax revolt....just saying :hmmm
deepsouth

Postby BLES » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:07 pm

deepsouth wrote:Sin tax on coffee will be the spark that ignites the tax revolt....just saying :hmmm

Pappie het sy eie koffieboom aan die groei in sy tuin vir ding soos die. :D
BLES

Postby deepsouth » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:33 pm

Where did you find one? I must admit I haven't looked around, how much fruit does one yield?
deepsouth

Postby BLES » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:32 am

LOL…. Belief me when I tell you the coffee cherry my tree produces is not nearly enough to supply my coffee drinking habits. I bought my tree roughly between 10 to 12 years ago at a coffee farm near Hazyview.

To come back to you question it can only be answered generally because of a few factors such as the type of coffee plant, where it is grown, how it is grown (as a tree or as a bush), coffee cherry ratio and lastly the amount of beans per gram needed to brew one cup of coffee.

I’ll use my tree as an example. I planted my tree on the northern side of the house close to a wild fig tree. Over the years the fig tree grow so huge it provided a lovely shaded condition for the coffee tree. About 2 years ago the tree produced about 1kg coffee cherry (200g green beans) per year. A year ago we decided to saw off the fig tree which changed the growing conditions of the coffee tree. Only now a year later it started to adapt to the full sun condition and it already had some white flowers during the past month and yesterday afternoon when watering the garden I noticed the coffee beans started to forming on the branches. Hopefully this year it will provide a decent harvest.

For my own consumption I work on a ration of 14g coffee beans per cup and average between 1.5kg to 2kg of beans consumption per month. Let’s assume the average produces between 1 to 1.5kg of coffee cherry which is roughly between 200g to 250g of green beans then about 72 coffee trees are required to my average coffee habit.

The good news is a fully developed coffee tree that has at least a decent harvest will produce view cups of coffee. And the bad news is it will take at least a few years to get any kind of decent harvest. :D

Remember these stats are based on the coffee cherry my tree produces. According to research on the internet it is stated the average tree (I assume this is on well-established coffee farms) is supposed to produce between 4 to 4.5kg of coffee cherry which is roughly about 800-900g of green beans which will still sit me back at about 18 trees I’ll need. :crazy

Bearing in my age, global warming and the size of my back yard, I have no other choice than to rely on coffee bean suppliers and be subjected to sin tax… My coffee tree is only another hobby reminding me of what life could be ;)
BLES

Postby ShaverBBS » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:22 am

Great little project.
How do you roast those beans?
I have some green beans that I have been meaning to roast for a while - just haven't gotten round to it. I also don;t want to mess it up.
Was thing on the stove will be best, that way I will be able to manage the process a bit better.
ShaverBBS

Postby deepsouth » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:59 am

You could use a popcorn machine, works well enough, you'd need to keep your eyes on it. I've got an iroast 2.0 and need to play on it more

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
deepsouth

Postby BLES » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:15 pm

I make use of a cast iron skillet on a gas stove. Once I dumped the green beans in the skillet I crank the heat up and stir with a wooden spoon. They will slowly begin to change colour from green to yellow, and eventually to light brown, which is when you should perk up your ears to hear them crack.

If you like your coffee incredibly light (i.e., a city roast), you'll want to quit the roasting process around this point. If you like it darker you should hang on a few minutes until you reach a Viennese or French roast. Just be careful not to wait until it's so black that it's essentially charcoal. Just remember that the lighter the roast, the more caffeine in your cup. I use the chart below as a reference guide.

bles roating chart guide .jpg

I roast between level 9-11 on the chart which can be classified as City roast on 9 and full roast on 11.

Once I’m happy with the roasting level I remove the beans immediately from the skillet and let them cool for a few hours by laying them out on a baking sheet.

Once it's nice and cool, transfer the batch to an airtight container but don't seal the lid completely for a day or two. The reason for this is because the beans slowly off-gas carbon dioxide and it can explode should you seal the lid completely. Brew within 5 days for ultimate freshness :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BLES

Postby deepsouth » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:57 pm

Anything after 13 should be put in your garden and not touch a grinder. 2nd crack is what you like Bles

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
deepsouth

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:45 pm

@Bles, I think you will need this for your cast iron skillet...

s841777213772365416_p139_i1_w640.jpeg

(Just don't try to shave with it... :lol: :lol: )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby ShaverBBS » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:07 am

awesome stuff - will give it a crack ( pun intended ;) )
Also aiming for 9 - 11 range so guess it's the second crack
ShaverBBS

Next

Return to The Coffee Grinder