Cold Brew Coffee

Can't get started without that first cup of coffee? Here is where you can get your morning buzz about all things coffee related. In addition to grounded conversation, you can find reviews on both homebrew and commercial coffee products. Java, Latte, Cappuccino…whatever your caffeine drug of choice, you can find it here!

Cold Brew Coffee

Postby HenkB » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:07 pm

Just read this article about cold brew coffee.

http://www.food24.com/Drinks/Coffee/coffee-trend-cold-brew-is-here-20151125

Sounds interesting, I think I might just start experimenting with it
HenkB

Re: Cold Brew Coffee

Postby BLES » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:17 pm

At home we are doing cold brew. The only problem is it takes up to 24 hours to make 1L of cold brew and you finish it off in less than 30 min. :oo
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby HenkB » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:23 am

BLES wrote:At home we are doing cold brew. The only problem is it takes up to 24 hours to make 1L of cold brew and you finish it off in less than 30 min. :oo

but I am sure that you can taste the quality!
HenkB

Postby BLES » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:16 pm

HenkB wrote:
BLES wrote:At home we are doing cold brew. The only problem is it takes up to 24 hours to make 1L of cold brew and you finish it off in less than 30 min. :oo

but I am sure that you can taste the quality!

Definitely! It also has a much sweeter taste than brewing it with hot water.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby HenkB » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:56 pm

I have to start making some today.

Going to youtube right now...
HenkB

Postby AndreGrobler » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:23 am

I have tasted it... but for me i prefer strong bitter coffee... this is definitely good coffee... but not to my taste...
AndreGrobler

Postby BLES » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:05 pm

HenkB wrote:I have to start making some today.

Going to youtube right now...

Henk, it is actually quite simple to make a cold brew coffee. All you need is a French press, coffee beans grounded on its coarsest setting and cold filtered water.
I grind 55g – 60g of coffee beans per litre of water. Place the coffee ground in the press, add the cold water and stir with a wooden spoon to release the CO2. I place cling wrap on top and place in the refrigerator for 12-24 hours. Once it is ready, press the ground down with the press and pour the coffee through one of those paper filters they use in coffee dripper machines to ensure the end product is clear. Place in a glass bottle and enjoy. You can either drink it straight up in a shot glass or pour 50/50 coffee and milk over ice with a tsp brown sugar or add some condense milk. One can even mix it with liquor; the possibilities are end-less. :thumbup:
BLES

Postby BLES » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:05 pm

AndreGrobler wrote:I have tasted it... but for me i prefer strong bitter coffee... this is definitely good coffee... but not to my taste...

The reason why cold brewed coffee taste sweeter is it pretty much removes the acids, most of the oils and some of the caffeine as well. The sweetness depends not entirely on the brewing process (hot or cold) only but also about the different levels of roasting the beans. Dark roasts have taken the coffee's natural sugars beyond caramelized to burnt giving it the bitter taste you like while a lighter roast will be naturally sweeter.
BLES

Postby HenkB » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:42 pm

I made myself a nice jug with medium roast beans.

Coarse grind, and let to "marinade" in filtered water for 24hrs.

First impressions: you expect the bitterness to come through, but it doesnt. Still tastes awesome.

After the 2nd to 4th sip, the natural sweetness comes through, and then you really appreciate the well-rounded, sweet taste of cold brew coffee.

For me, you cant compare the taste between hot and cold brew. As far apart as the Earth from the Moon. Both have a special place in my heart...
HenkB

Postby BLES » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:48 pm

HenkB wrote:I made myself a nice jug with medium roast beans.

Coarse grind, and let to "marinade" in filtered water for 24hrs.

First impressions: you expect the bitterness to come through, but it doesnt. Still tastes awesome.

After the 2nd to 4th sip, the natural sweetness comes through, and then you really appreciate the well-rounded, sweet taste of cold brew coffee.

For me, you cant compare the taste between hot and cold brew. As far apart as the Earth from the Moon. Both have a special place in my heart...

Awesome Henk. :thumbup: It is true what you've said. One can't compare the taste between hot and cold brew. My wife bought a nice 1L glass bottle where we store it in. It is nice to have a bottle ready in the refrigerator for these hot afternoons.
BLES

Postby HenkB » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:22 am

agreed Bles.

Nothing so nice as to sip on natural sweet cold brew on a hot afternoon. Especially during this hot weekend, it was very welcoming...
HenkB

Postby AndreV » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:52 pm

Also made some cold coffee this past weekend.
Half Cold Brew with Half milk made a good substitute for warm coffee in the heat with breakfast.
Only made about 2 cups worth to test but will make a bigger batch very soon :D
Shaving like it should be done!!
AndreV

Postby HenkB » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:21 am

Very nice Bles.

The only thing I mix milk with is coke (remember this from the old days :D :D ). I tried milk again in my coffee a while ago (after drinking it 20 years black), and the taste was not to my liking. So black coffee it is for me.

Want to start another batch this afternoon. I use my french press, and get about 3 cups from it. I have found that the taste dramatically improves the longer the ground beans are kept in with the coffee. I drank the first cup 24hrs after making the brew, and left the ground beans in. 2nd cup 24hrs after the first and 3rd cup 24hrs after the 2nd cup. I did not remove the ground coffee. What I found was the following: on 1st cup, the coffee flavour was nice and mild, but could not taste any chocolatey aftertaste. 2nd cup, sweeter, and chocolatey aftertaste starting to develop. 3rd cup had a pronounced chocolate aftertaste, and the natural sweetness blew my tastebuds. It was really nice. Not once did I experience any bitterness/ acidic taste due to the prolonged exposure to the beans.

Let me know what you think of this when you have tried it.
HenkB

Return to The Coffee Grinder