CURRENT BEANS IN USE

Can't get started without that first cup of coffee? Here is where you can get your morning buzz about all things coffee related. In addition to grounded conversation, you can find reviews on both homebrew and commercial coffee products. Java, Latte, Cappuccino…whatever your caffeine drug of choice, you can find it here!

CURRENT BEANS IN USE

Postby BLES » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:49 am

474678_EA.jpg

I finished a bag of Mug and Bean espresso beans and bought this one on Sunday as it was on special for R43 a 250g bag. It is Pick and Pay African coffee beans. It has is a rich, earthy coffee with fantastic aromas. The blend is a representation of East and Central Africa. It is a medium roast profile and has a distinct spicy flavour.
Would I buy it again? Definitely
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Re: CURRENT BEANS IN USE

Postby O_P » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:13 am

My default coffee bean is the Organic All African Espresso Beans from Woolworths. Every morning i make a double shot cappuccino for my drive into the office and it never disappoints. My alternate when is the Ethiopian Sidamo from Bean There but i prefer to buy it from the shop at 44 Stanley as you know exactly when it was roasted.

Organic-All-African-Espresso-Beans-250g-6001009036230.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
O_P

Postby BLES » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:28 am

I also like to buy the Woolworths beans on occasion. Abreu's close to us also place the date on the packet of when it was roasted. They really don't disappoint and you will always get freshly roasted beans.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby Vintage1973 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:53 am

We have a wonderful coffee merchant in town, selling freshly roasted...I put together a custom blend of Rwandan Kivu, Cuban and Bolivian light roast, containing a good deal of Caturra and Bourbon varieties. Put a bit though my Japanese Hario hand grinder and then through my Siphon ( looks like a chemistry set). What an amazing, fruity coffee, with hints of cinnamon, spice and a long, lingering finish. The siphon provides full immersion of the grounds and yields a clear brew, with a low solids percentage, preventing bitterness. Highly recommended!
Vintage1973

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:18 am

Vintage1973 wrote:We have a wonderful coffee merchant in town, selling freshly roasted...I put together a custom blend of Rwandan Kivu, Cuban and Bolivian light roast, containing a good deal of Caturra and Bourbon varieties. Put a bit though my Japanese Hario hand grinder and then through my Siphon ( looks like a chemistry set). What an amazing, fruity coffee, with hints of cinnamon, spice and a long, lingering finish. The siphon provides full immersion of the grounds and yields a clear brew, with a low solids percentage, preventing bitterness. Highly recommended!

Wow! Vintage, I see you are really deeply invested into your coffee. Very interesting setup you have there.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Vintage1973 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:07 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:
Vintage1973 wrote:We have a wonderful coffee merchant in town, selling freshly roasted...I put together a custom blend of Rwandan Kivu, Cuban and Bolivian light roast, containing a good deal of Caturra and Bourbon varieties. Put a bit though my Japanese Hario hand grinder and then through my Siphon ( looks like a chemistry set). What an amazing, fruity coffee, with hints of cinnamon, spice and a long, lingering finish. The siphon provides full immersion of the grounds and yields a clear brew, with a low solids percentage, preventing bitterness. Highly recommended!

Wow! Vintage, I see you are really deeply invested into your coffee. Very interesting setup you have there.

Thanks, RVT. Yes, lekker coffee is my other passion! Will send some pics soon.
Vintage1973

Postby AndreV » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:31 pm

TTIUWP :D
Shaving like it should be done!!
AndreV

Postby BLES » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:10 pm

I think like you said about the coffee merchant where you buy from it is crucial where you buy your beans from. In Pretoria we are fortunate to have many baristas and upcoming coffee roasting artisans to buy from. I do though on occasions buy from grocery stores if the roasting date is fairly recent but I still find all grocery stores beans are all stale. Roasted coffee has a shelf life the same as bananas, about 3 weeks and then it exhibits off flavours as degrades.
Coffee will expel CO2 for the first 13 days after roasting. The CO2 helps keep the coffee from interacting with oxygen. When the coffee is pre-ground it has more surface area to interact with oxygen and speeds up the staling process. Whole bean fresh roasted coffee has a shelf life of about 3 weeks without exhibiting off flavours from staling. Ground coffee has a shelf life of about 2 days. Fine espresso ground coffee has a shelf life of about 2 minutes. Therefore I rather support my local baristas and merchants to get the best coffee possible.
Coming back to the brewing process French press coffee is by far my favourite coffee maker, it really help getting all those yummy oils out of that bean. When the top of my mug has that oil slick look, I know it's going to be good! :D
BLES

Postby Vintage1973 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:22 pm

BLES wrote:

I think like you said about the coffee merchant where you buy from it is crucial where you buy your beans from. In Pretoria we are fortunate to have many baristas and upcoming coffee roasting artisans to buy from. I do though on occasions buy from grocery stores if the roasting date is fairly recent but I still find all grocery stores beans are all stale. Roasted coffee has a shelf life the same as bananas, about 3 weeks and then it exhibits off flavours as degrades.
Coffee will expel CO2 for the first 13 days after roasting. The CO2 helps keep the coffee from interacting with oxygen. When the coffee is pre-ground it has more surface area to interact with oxygen and speeds up the staling process. Whole bean fresh roasted coffee has a shelf life of about 3 weeks without exhibiting off flavours from staling. Ground coffee has a shelf life of about 2 days. Fine espresso ground coffee has a shelf life of about 2 minutes. Therefore I rather support my local baristas and merchants to get the best coffee possible.
Coming back to the brewing process French press coffee is by far my favourite coffee maker, it really help getting all those yummy oils out of that bean. When the top of my mug has that oil slick look, I know it's going to be good! :D

Bles,

I think we should start changing this forum to one about Beans & 'Baccy... :D

You are perfectly correct in your statements! Coffee goes off very quickly, WHICH IS WHY YOU SHOULD NEVER BUY ANYTHING BUT BEANS. I get
goose pimples when I recall what shite we used to drink in the early days...

The french press is ok, but I am going to disagree here as well: Your bitterness, aside from the bean variety, is mainly due to the total undissolved solids passing through / by the filter system. The oils are water soluble (obviously), which is why, if you put the same brew through a descent filter / filter paper which catches the non-dissolved, the relative bitterness should be less. Unfortunately, a french press has a lot of leak-by but if you like
the system, why not use an Aero-Press - their laser drilled filter screens are very fine and should yield a much clearer brew for your enjoyment.

I digress: As long as you enjoy your coffee, all is well with the world!
Vintage1973

Postby BLES » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:17 pm

Vintage1973 wrote: Unfortunately, a french press has a lot of leak-by but if you like
the system, why not use an Aero-Press - their laser drilled filter screens are very fine and should yield a much clearer brew for your enjoyment.

I have many different systems from an enamel kettle with “meelsak” to an Espresto system but got quite fond of the French Press system and find myself using it the most as 1. - It is convenient, 2. - It can make up to a litre of coffee at a time which is more than enough for my family of 4; and 3. - It is the simplest system to give you a quick no nonsense cup of coffee where you can enjoy all the flavour and aroma to the fullest. The only reason I've not invested in an Aero-Press is that I've read it only makes one small cup of coffee at a time. Why drink coffee alone if you can share it with family and friends? ;)
BLES

Postby BLES » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:53 am

IMG_20160827_120956.jpg

IMG_20160827_121001.jpg

Found these over the week-end and the childhood memories one is simply delicious! The Hazelnut one is Mrs Bles choice as I'm not a flavoured coffee lover.

Bles se twak.
BLES

Return to The Coffee Grinder