What type of coffee do you like?

Can't get started without that first cup of coffee? Here is where you can get your morning buzz about all things coffee related. In addition to grounded conversation, you can find reviews on both homebrew and commercial coffee products. Java, Latte, Cappuccino…whatever your caffeine drug of choice, you can find it here!

What type of coffee do you like?

Postby HenkB » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:32 pm

It is well-known that there are about as many coffee flavours out there as there are countries in the world.

I personally like a full bodied Arabica, just bitter enough to let me know this is a very special coffee, but still chocolaty/sweet-ish aftertaste when you have taken the last mouthful.

I really like beans that were grown in Africa. It seems to me that I can taste the richness of Africa better in especially Sudan and Kenyan beans. Ethiopian is also superb. I am not a huge fan of other continent's coffees, but a very strong, dark Brazilian or Ecuador coffee can also go.

So, what coffees do you like?
HenkB

Re: What type of coffee do you like?

Postby BLES » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:11 pm

Henk I’m with you on the African beans but like to experiment with different beans. But yes, Arabic I’m very fond off. The Barista I’m buying from mainly make use of Arabic beans.
I got a recipe in a WEG magazine which is something you should try sometime. They mixed half Italian (4) with half VIP Gold (3) from House of Coffees. :thumbup:
* The numbers in brackets is the strength indicators on the packets.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby Jacquers » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:21 pm

Hope it's ok to post it here. Saw it a while back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTVE5iPMKLg
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Jacquers

Postby Vintage1973 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:25 pm

HenkB wrote:It is well-known that there are about as many coffee flavours out there as there are countries in the world.

I personally like a full bodied Arabica, just bitter enough to let me know this is a very special coffee, but still chocolaty/sweet-ish aftertaste when you have taken the last mouthful.

I really like beans that were grown in Africa. It seems to me that I can taste the richness of Africa better in especially Sudan and Kenyan beans. Ethiopian is also superb. I am not a huge fan of other continent's coffees, but a very strong, dark Brazilian or Ecuador coffee can also go.

Hi, HenkB

Arabica, even though produced in much lesser quantities that the Robusta-strain, is the only one to have. Robusta is produced in such huge quantities, due to the fact that it is almost exclusively used in powdered and freeze-dried coffee granules, in other words, SHITE.

My favourites depend on whether I am having a flat white, or an Espresso, since a light/medium roast, with more acidity works well with the steamed milk. Espresso beans can be more full bodied, less acidic and complex, so:

Flat White, with a blend of Ethiopian Yirgachefe , Rwandan Kivu and Guatemalan Single Origin
Espresso, made with either Colombian, or Black Gold

Would love some proper Jamaican Blue Mountain, but at around R2,500-00/kg it is out of my league! Coffee blight wiped out most of the Blue Mountain years ago and they have only recently been able to revive the variety commercially.
Vintage1973

Postby BLES » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:44 pm

Vintage1973 wrote:
HenkB wrote:It is well-known that there are about as many coffee flavours out there as there are countries in the world.

Hi, HenkB

Arabica, even though produced in much lesser quantities that the Robusta-strain, is the only one to have. Robusta is produced in such huge quantities, due to the fact that it is almost exclusively used in powdered and freeze-dried coffee granules, in other words, SHITE.

My favourites depend on whether I am having a flat white, or an Espresso, since a light/medium roast, with more acidity works well with the steamed milk. Espresso beans can be more full bodied, less acidic and complex, so:

Flat White, with a blend of Ethiopian Yirgachefe , Rwandan Kivu and Guatemalan Single Origin
Espresso, made with either Colombian, or Black Gold

Would love some proper Jamaican Blue Mountain, but at around R2,500-00/kg it is out of my league! Coffee blight wiped out most of the Blue Mountain years ago and they have only recently been able to revive the variety commercially.

This forum seriously needs a like and thank you button! I would have pressed both buttons simultaneously. :clap: Ja R2,500/kg is a bit steep for me. I saw once a program on National Geographic’s about a barista from New York who goes into all these difficult hard to reach places in South America to find the best coffee beans to sell in his store. What he basically does is to seek and find individuals who grow the trees in small batches high up in the mountains and negotiate with them to solely supply him with their beans. He pays them upfront and sent in his team to collect the beans once ready. Some of those walk with assault rifles to protect their beans.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Return to The Coffee Grinder