COFFEE - OLD SCHOOL OR MODERN?

Can't get started without that first cup of coffee? Here is where you can get your morning buzz about all things coffee related. In addition to grounded conversation, you can find reviews on both homebrew and commercial coffee products. Java, Latte, Cappuccino…whatever your caffeine drug of choice, you can find it here!

COFFEE - OLD SCHOOL OR MODERN?

Postby BLES » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:52 pm

I think I was born in the wrong era. For some reason retro/vintage stuff appeals to me.
Now even with all the new technology on these fancy modern coffee grinders I still prefer to go old school although we have an electric grinder somewhere in a cupboard. I can still clearly remember my Grandma, “Ouma” Henna roasting her own coffee beans in a cast iron pot like it was yesterday. I don’t know who of you are still familiar with the old Spong coffee mills? Now she had one of those for grinding her roasted coffee beans. The collecting pan was lost over the years and she then used an empty floor polish tin as substitute. Today you will still find “Ouma” Henna’s Spong coffee mill on my stoep in full operation with the same old substitute tin. Not even Eskom will stop me from having the perfect cup of coffee.
What is your fancy? Modern or vintage? :think:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Re: COFFEE - OLD SCHOOL OR MODERN?

Postby robmac » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:06 pm

Nespresso man myself - best gadget I have ever bought!
robmac

Postby Thug » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:34 pm

I'm currently using an Aeropress but the thought of a Nespresso machine is rather appealing.

One of these days....... when I stop spending money on shaving equipment. :D
Thug

Postby Vintage1973 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:14 pm

Thug wrote:I'm currently using an Aeropress but the thought of a Nespresso machine is rather appealing.

One of these days....... when I stop spending money on shaving equipment. :D

I feel your pain, Thug...
Vintage1973

Postby O_P » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:05 pm

I have a Saeco bean to cup machine. I like the flexibility of choosing my own beans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
O_P

Postby BLES » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:46 am

Despite my likings for traditional things and processes I also have a Nespresto machine which is similar to the Nespresso machines. They work great for espressos and when one is in a hurry and I find the taste is not bad at all. But still in a sense they are too much juppy like for my taste and prefer grinding and brewing coffee old school to be a tit better for me. With old school style I have my coffee exactly to my liking instead of a machine producing coffee as it was designed to someone else’s taste. One negative thing I have with Nespresso or similar machines is that when you have a few guests over for coffee this machine takes too long comparing to serving a pot of coffee on the table for your guests. It is a great machine for one or two people in my opinion.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby dini » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:46 am

Had a Bosch bean to cup . Will be getting another bean to cup soon , but for now nespresso is doing duty . The convenience cannot be beaten .
dini

Postby HenkB » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:25 pm

I have a small electric grinder (was looking for the manual ones, but they seem impossible to find). So I grind my own beans and put it in a French coffee press, let it stand for 10 minutes and then drink it black, no sugar, so to get the best taste of the coffee.

If anybody knows where I can get an enamel coffee kettle, please let me know? I want to put some coffee in a little bag and let it "marinade" in the simmering water. But you need an enamel coffee pot, otherwise it tastes like tin...
HenkB

Postby lladets » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:48 pm

Hi,
I have been married (going on 45 years)to a wonderful Lady born in Italy who accompanied her parents to South Africa in 1954.
In our kitchen we have a Cafelux machine which is compatible with the Nespresso pods and makes an awesome foamy espresso for a quick one.
We also have a range of Bialetti moka express stove-top espresso makers ranging from a one cup right up to a 24 cup model.
Depending on the make of the espresso ground coffee available these make amazing espresso which, after a meal combined with a touch of homemade grappa (made by my daughters father in law) is the dream ending to any great (Italian) meal.
I am now going to put a one cup model on the stove and enjoy.
lladets

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:51 pm

HenkB wrote:I have a small electric grinder (was looking for the manual ones, but they seem impossible to find). So I grind my own beans and put it in a French coffee press, let it stand for 10 minutes and then drink it black, no sugar, so to get the best taste of the coffee.

If anybody knows where I can get an enamel coffee kettle, please let me know? I want to put some coffee in a little bag and let it "marinade" in the simmering water. But you need an enamel coffee pot, otherwise it tastes like tin...

Will thius one work for you?
https://m.takealot.com/#product?id=PLID28068863
ShaveHavenSA

Postby BLES » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:49 am

HenkB wrote:I have a small electric grinder (was looking for the manual ones, but they seem impossible to find). So I grind my own beans and put it in a French coffee press, let it stand for 10 minutes and then drink it black, no sugar, so to get the best taste of the coffee.

Check out BOB for Spong grinders or mills. Earlier this week one sold for only R385 which was a steal. Make sure if you get hold of one that the bold with a key shape handle at the back is still attached. One uses this key to set the desired coarseness of the coffee ground. It won't be a train smash if it is not there as one can probably make one easily. I still have one of those enamel pots. My grandma used to brew her coffee in one on a coal stove.
There is nothing wrong with the tin version. You must only allow the pot to boil in first to get rid of that tin taste.

I make use of the same method that you use. The only difference is that I boil the water first and let it cool down while grinding my beans and let the coffee brew for 3 minutes.

The Pretoria guys should get together for some coffee some time. :D
BLES

Postby BLES » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:24 am

lladets wrote:Hi,
I have been married (going on 45 years)to a wonderful Lady born in Italy who accompanied her parents to South Africa in 1954.
In our kitchen we have a Cafelux machine which is compatible with the Nespresso pods and makes an awesome foamy espresso for a quick one.
We also have a range of Bialetti moka express stove-top espresso makers ranging from a one cup right up to a 24 cup model.
Depending on the make of the espresso ground coffee available these make amazing espresso which, after a meal combined with a touch of homemade grappa (made by my daughters father in law) is the dream ending to any great (Italian) meal.

Now that is still something I want to buy, a moka express. :D Italy, Bialetti, espresso, grappa...I like! :clap:
BLES

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:26 am

Nice! I've always wondered how those stove top espresso makers work. (This thread is making me feel like I'm missing something - up to now, I've been happy with Ricoffy :oo )
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:29 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:

Nice! I've always wondered how those stove top espresso makers work. (This thread is making me feel like I'm missing something - up to now, I've been happy with Ricoffy :oo )

RVT, I'm going to say it. You're missing out a lot! :twisted:
BLES

Postby HenkB » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:07 am

To mention Ricoffy in this thread is not good!. Go get a good cuppa.

I like the idea for the PTA (and if there are JHB boys) to get together for a strong brew and discuss all the things we like and have in common.
HenkB

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:32 am

HenkB wrote:To mention Ricoffy in this thread is not good!. Go get a good cuppa.

I like the idea for the PTA (and if there are JHB boys) to get together for a strong brew and discuss all the things we like and have in common.

So I left the Ricoffy back in the fridge (My mother says we should always keep the Ricoffy in the fridge - stops it from going hard) , and I went down to the coffee shop. They had all the varieties listed on the board and I ordered a single Latte (with coffee beans from Burundi - "same country the car guard is from").

Anyway, the prices were a bit steep, at 15 bucks, but the machine they had looked really fancy. It had so many knobs and guages, it looked like you needed a pilots licence to operate it. After much steaming and hissing, they gave me a cup with a little bit of coffee in and mostly milk. The coffee chap put a 'palm tree ' pattern on the top of the milk.

This place still has the sugar in tiny cubes so I threw a few in stirred it up with the wooden stick (Spoons obviously get stolen here). The Palm tree pattern disappeared. :cry:

Strong stuff, but not bad at all. The strong coffee normally gives me a headache, but this was mostly milk so no complaint. The coffee wasn't steaming hot though, so that was the only disapointment.

:thumbup:
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:43 am

Good for you RVT. :thumbup: :clap: Those machines are called a Barista machine. I still want to do a barista course one day :D
BLES

Postby HenkB » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:28 pm

Nice RVT.

Now you should try without the milk, and then without mild and sugar, to get that earthiness coffee taste...
HenkB

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:19 pm

Is the coffee supposed to be luke-warm? (I usually prefer a hot cup of coffee)
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby HenkB » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:18 pm

I like my coffee to be warm-ish (not boiling) to luke warm. I can drink it cold too, but the most flavour is luke warm. YMMV.
HenkB

Next

Return to The Coffee Grinder