Pipes

Discussions relating to the finest tobacco, your favorite pipe, full-bodied cigars and other accouterments.

Re: Pipes

Postby BLES » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:02 am

Thug wrote:
BLES wrote:
Thug wrote:Ok Mr Bles, what pipe tobacco would you recommend for a novice to try out?

Bear in mind I have JJ Cale across the road from me so have a ready supply of local and imported tobacco.

I popped in the other day and they are retailing 50g tins from R170 upwards (I think that was for some Peterson mixture).

Start out with some aromatics first before you attempt the more serious English, Oriental and Balkan blends. But don't go and buy yet. Ask the tobacconist to sell you some samples first. I have plenty of tins and jars sitting around. I'll wrap up a view samples for you of some of my tobacco I recon you might fancy and if your driver is in the area he can pop in and collect. ;)

Thanks for the offer Bles. I'll give you a shout after my pipes arrive.

You are most welcome. This is an open invitation. Shout when you're ready. ;)
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby eviltoy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:14 am

Wait what no latakia?
eviltoy

Postby BLES » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:31 am

"Room note" should be a consideration for a new piper as well. Those around the new pipe smoker might be inexperienced with the aromas produced from a pipe. A negative experience for those in the room could result from a blend with latakia in it (English Blends). However, if the smoker is "in the zone", latakia is the bee's knees. ;)
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby eviltoy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:00 am

BLES wrote:"Room note" should be a consideration for a new piper as well. Those around the new pipe smoker might be inexperienced with the aromas produced from a pipe. A negative experience for those in the room could result from a blend with latakia in it (English Blends). However, if the smoker is "in the zone", latakia is the bee's knees. ;)

frogmorton on the town dont smell bad. Tastes quite nice too. I smoke outside so I smoke what I want with reckless abandon :P
eviltoy

Postby BLES » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:14 am

eviltoy wrote:
BLES wrote:"Room note" should be a consideration for a new piper as well. Those around the new pipe smoker might be inexperienced with the aromas produced from a pipe. A negative experience for those in the room could result from a blend with latakia in it (English Blends). However, if the smoker is "in the zone", latakia is the bee's knees. ;)

frogmorton on the town dont smell bad. Tastes quite nice too. I smoke outside so I smoke what I want with reckless abandon :P

I'm also a "stoep sitter". :D
BLES

Postby Thug » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:05 pm

Thank for your consideration but I'm the king of my castle, so if I want to puff away on a bowl whilst lying on the couch, I shall. :lol:

My son isn't going to complain and neither will my girlfriend (if she knows whats good for her :lol: ;) )

but seriously, I won't have an issue puffing away in the house.
Thug

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:26 am

:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:45 am

I know that look! :lol: :lol: :lol:
BLES

Postby Thug » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:42 pm

I popped into Wesley's earlier and got a small sample pack of tobacco for R80

5 samples of 10gr each (Wesley's house blends) and they are:

Rhodesian Blend
Old Gold -
Full Gold
Vanilla Gold
Latakia A
Thug

Postby BLES » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:42 am

Thug wrote:I popped into Wesley's earlier and got a small sample pack of tobacco for R80

5 samples of 10gr each (Wesley's house blends) and they are:

Rhodesian Blend
Old Gold -
Full Gold
Vanilla Gold
Latakia A

Wesley's tobacco is of the finest home blend tobaccos one can find in SA. Lovely choice Thug. It will be interesting to see what your tobacco liking will be. :D
BLES

Postby Thug » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:18 am

BLES wrote:
Wesley's tobacco is of the finest home blend tobaccos one can find in SA. Lovely choice Thug. It will be interesting to see what your tobacco liking will be. :D

They had a bigger sample pack with I think 9 different blends but thought to myself that I'd get confused with all the variants. So I'll start off slowly.
Thug

Postby BLES » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:36 pm

Thug wrote:
BLES wrote:

They had a bigger sample pack with I think 9 different blends but thought to myself that I'd get confused with all the variants. So I'll start off slowly.

Slowly is definitely the keyword in pipe smoking. One must never be in a hurry. ;) Any news on your pipe order?
BLES

Postby Thug » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:09 pm

BLES wrote:
Thug wrote:
BLES wrote:

Slowly is definitely the keyword in pipe smoking. One must never be in a hurry. ;) Any news on your pipe order?

Spoke to Jonathan last week, it's scheduled for completion this weekend.
I also ordered a "spare" bowl, ebony stained briar.
Thug

Postby BLES » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:08 am

Sounds good. Looking forward to see some photos. :thumbup:
BLES

Postby Thug » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:51 pm

My pipe has been delayed, a backlog to work through. :(

I was promised photos of the WIP last night but these never materialised.
Thug

Postby deepsouth » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:52 pm

That blows Thug, rather be thankful he's not doing a rush job just to get it out in time...
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby Thug » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:35 am

Got some WIP photos last night.

The patterning on the Olive Wood is superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thug

Postby Thug » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Spoke to Jonathan earlier, he'll be finishing off the pipes over the weekend and dispatching on Monday.

Looking forward to receiving them.
Thug

Postby Thug » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:05 pm

The Olive Wood poker has been finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thug

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:31 pm

Very nice Thug! Very nice indeed.. :clap:
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved