Pipes

Discussions relating to the finest tobacco, your favorite pipe, full-bodied cigars and other accouterments.

Pipes

Postby Thug » Wed May 24, 2017 3:57 pm

I've always been fascinated by pipes, the amount of work that goes into making them, the shapes etc and I suppose it initially stems from the time my father smoked a pipe and had a couple of Petersons and Plumbs.

I smoked for close to 25 years and haven't touched a cigarette in probably some 13 years but have recently given some thought to buying a pipe and having the occasional puff.

Anyway, I recently stared following Cernak Pipes on Instagram. He's Czech, hand makes pipes and in my opinion rather innovative .

http://en.cpipes.cz/

An example of his work.

18253151_945366192270647_1154973871909109760_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Re: Pipes

Postby BLES » Wed May 24, 2017 4:21 pm

What a beauty! :drool: I had to read the sentence over and over before it sink in that you said you are thinking of buying a pipe... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby Thug » Wed May 24, 2017 5:03 pm

BLES wrote:What a beauty! :drool: I had to read the sentence over and over before it sink in that you said you are thinking of buying a pipe... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

hahaha, only giving it some thought.

But those Cernak pipes are rather expensive.

BTW, anyone know if there are duties on importing pipes?
Thug

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed May 24, 2017 6:11 pm

Thug wrote:
BLES wrote:What a beauty! :drool: I had to read the sentence over and over before it sink in that you said you are thinking of buying a pipe... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

hahaha, only giving it some thought.

But those Cernak pipes are rather expensive.

BTW, anyone know if there are duties on importing pipes?

Just had a bad experience with our Post Office. Package was marked 190 HKD (Hong Kong Dollars) - about 330 rand. They charged me duties for 190 US dollars. :oo :cry: :evil:
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby deepsouth » Wed May 24, 2017 6:41 pm

Tried a pipe once, nearly died. Hats off to the brave that finds them relaxing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby BLES » Thu May 25, 2017 10:53 am

DS, do you drink red wine?
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby deepsouth » Thu May 25, 2017 11:15 am

Bles - drink is such a relative term when it comes to red wine :) I savor it, soaking my senses in a velvety smooth toil of dionysus and bacchus. I love red wine, almost as much as coffee, but tend to consume little at a time.
deepsouth

Postby BLES » Thu May 25, 2017 12:52 pm

Love the explanation. :D My point I want to make is that when one have a sip of red wine for the first time it didn’t taste to good and took some time to get used to it and in order to savor and enjoy it to its fullest. Pipe smoking is exactly the same. Your senses and tong has to get used to it in order to savor the taste and aromas…I remember my first puff tasted like wet grass but once I got used to the taste and aromas of the different tobaccos it became other ball game. Now pair the two (wine and pipe) together and you experience a total different world of each. One must not rush into pipe smoking. I think you had quit too soon and Latakia was a bit to strong on your taste buds… That is a tobacco you leave for when you are deep into pipe smoking. I myself don’t like it as clean as you smoked it. Latakia is actually used to blend with other tobaccos to create an English blend and when they use it they use it sparingly…No wonder you almost felt like dying… :lol: :lol: :lol:
BLES

Postby deepsouth » Thu May 25, 2017 1:01 pm

That and I finished the bowl in less than 10 minutes with full inhale/exhales - I even took a shower afterwards :lol: didn't feel too lekker
I'd try it again, but would need a some wine and some time with an expert at hand to boot
deepsouth

Postby Thug » Thu May 25, 2017 2:10 pm

Great story DS.
A similar analogy would be running. You can't run a marathon the 1st day you decide to start running. :lol:

@RVT, you should be able to claim the overcharge back. I remember a couple of years ago I imported some bike parts and Chain reaction Cycles decided to split the goods I had ordered into 2 boxes. The problem was that there was only 1 invoice and they stuck a copy on each box. SAPO in there wisdom decided to charge me the same duties on each box notwithstanding the fact that the boxes were marked 1 of 2 and 2 of 2. Anyway, I had to pay the duties to clear the goods but managed to claim back the overpaid duties. Took about 6 weeks iirc but I got my money back.

@Bles, I contacted Martin Cernak and his pipes sell for between USD120 - 190, which in relative terms for a hand-made and hand turned pipe isn't too bad.
Last edited by Thug on Thu May 25, 2017 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thug

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu May 25, 2017 2:12 pm

Thug wrote:Great story DS.
A similar analogy would be running. You can't run a marathon the 1st day you decide to start running.

@RVT, you should be able to claim the overcharge back. I remember a couple of years ago I imported some bike parts and Chain reaction Cycles decided to split the goods I had ordered into 2 boxes. The problem was that there was only 1 invoice and they stuck a copy on each box. SAPO in there wisdom decided to charge me the same duties on each box notwithstanding the fact the boxes were marked 1 of 2 and 2 of 2. Anyway, I had pay the duties to clear the goods but managed to claim back the overpaid duties. Took about 6 weeks iirc but I got my money back.

@Bles, I contacted Martin Cernak and his pipes sell for between USD120 - 190, which in relative for a hand-made and hand turned pipe isn't too bad.

Thanks Thug. Will look into it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Thu May 25, 2017 2:33 pm

deepsouth wrote:That and I finished the bowl in less than 10 minutes with full inhale/exhales - I even took a shower afterwards :lol: didn't feel too lekker
I'd try it again, but would need a some wine and some time with an expert at hand to boot

:lol: :lol: :oo
BLES

Postby BLES » Thu May 25, 2017 2:38 pm

Thug wrote:
@Bles, I contacted Martin Cernak and his pipes sell for between USD120 - 190, which in relative terms for a hand-made and hand turned pipe isn't too bad.

Not bad at all. :thumbup: Did you have a look at some of our local pipe maker’s pipes?
http://ebenharts.co.za/
BLES

Postby eviltoy » Fri May 26, 2017 12:04 pm

From a local pipe maker

eviltoy

Postby Thug » Sun May 28, 2017 6:17 pm

eviltoy wrote:From a local pipe maker

Wow, those are really nice.

Who is the pipe maker?

edit: enlarging the 2nd picture I can see that it's Jonathan Taylor but I can't find a website or him. Any links?
Thug

Postby eviltoy » Sun May 28, 2017 8:51 pm

African hardwood pipes on facebook. I have his number if you want to contact him directly
eviltoy

Postby Thug » Mon May 29, 2017 7:36 am

eviltoy wrote:African hardwood pipes on facebook. I have his number if you want to contact him directly

Thug

Postby Thug » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:06 am

Okidoki then, I've just done it. :oo

Reverse Calabash made from Olive wood, silver accent ring and green stem (semi-translucent).
Also a matching poker.

It's all Bles' fault I tell you! :lol:
Thug

Postby deepsouth » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:10 am

Pics or it didn't happen :lol:
deepsouth

Postby Thug » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:13 am

deepsouth wrote:Pics or it didn't happen :lol: