Cigar discussion for newbies

Discussions relating to the finest tobacco, your favorite pipe, full-bodied cigars and other accouterments.

Cigar discussion for newbies

Postby BLES » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:58 am

@ Chrisvo, a cigar is a slow, leisurely experience. Start out with mild cigars. Be on the lookout for the mild to medium bodied range. The advantage of a mild cigar for a beginner is to prepare the taste buds and it will also allow one to discover the different flavours in cigars.

It is always suggested that smaller, milder cigars be smoked in the mornings, cigars of a medium strength and size for the late afternoons and full bodied bigger cigars for after dinner but it is only a suggestion and one can smoke whatever fancy his taste. ;)

One thing one should remember is not to smoke a cigar to fast. It will cause the cigar to overheat which is quite unpleasant. Also don’t smoke to slow as the cigar will die out which will require a lot of relighting that could hamper your smoking enjoyment. The flavour and aroma of a cigar is meant to be enjoyed in the nose and mouth, not in the lungs. :D

For any time smoking I can recommend Cohiba Siglo II, Monticristo No 1, Hoyo De Monterrey corona Punch Punch cigars. Perfect beginner Havanas one can look at Bolivar Corona Jnr, Punch Petit Punch, Romeo & Julieta Panatela, Monticristo No3 and 4, Cohibo Siglo I, H Upmann Petit Upmann, SAINT Luis Rey Coronas and Partagas No 4 as O_P suggested. :thumbup:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Re: Cigar discussion for newbies

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Thanks for the info Bles. Got plenty of cigar boxes bit no cigars.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby deepsouth » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:39 pm

I'll skip the cigars - tried smoking a pipe, nearly died on the spot. Sodom was alright Bles, there's loads of development and almost everywhere you go new flats/apartments sprout up. Some parts did look very derelict and unkempt.

We went to a Lion park and the young'ens enjoyed the cubs very much, other than that - had starbucks and doughnuts at rosebank - tasted just as vile is the codswallop we had abroad. The teenager had to get instagram photos, I'm not sure if starbucks will be coming to the Cape - I hope sure as hell not. We have quite an array of good coffee stores and don't need another chain with sub par product

So many people, traffic, stores, I can't deal with that anymore, a noisy night in my 'hood is when the waves crash loudly or the wind is a bit blowy. The cat also chews loudly at night, audible from down the hall, that quiet.

No doofdoof parties/cars/sirens/barking dogs - didn't sleep well. I also thought that paranoia is/was a great selling tool, lots of barbed wire fencing, security gates etc. Is it really that necessary? I know there's crime, but.....

I did live in JHB for quite some time and never really "saw" these things, nor did it make an impact on me. It just was, it was strange how I noticed these things now. Possibly turning into an old curmudgeon
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby Thug » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:45 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Thanks for the info Bles. Got plenty of cigar boxes bit no cigars.

With the price sticker on some of my cigar boxes, I can't afford to purchase any of the contents!

cigars.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thug

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:48 pm

Thug wrote:
RiverValleyTrading wrote:Thanks for the info Bles. Got plenty of cigar boxes bit no cigars.

With the price sticker on some of my cigar boxes, I can't afford to purchase any of the contents!

cigars.png

Yikes!

This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby O_P » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:43 pm

Thug wrote:

cigars.png

:shock: Sin taxes hard at work there :OOO
O_P

Postby Chrisvo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:52 pm

Thanks BLES, I'll keep that list in mind and head on over to the Tobacco shop some time in the near future.

I'll stick to buying singles or small packs rather than a big 20-25 pack of cigars. Once I have an idea of which cigars I prefer, I'll stock up a little more on those but still would only purchase the 4 packs or 10 packs once in a blue moon. With my shaving hobby as it is, can't afford to shell out R4000 or more a box...

Ouch! Those are some expensive cigars..
Chrisvo

Postby BLES » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:07 am

Thug wrote:

cigars.png

R290 is a bit stiff for a cigar but there are cheaper ones out there that are just as good as the Davidoff cigars. My son bought me a Davidoff cigar for Christmas a few years back and it is still in my humidor for the day when he graduates. If I’m not mistaken it cost him around R120 for the cigar at that stage. The influence of sin tax can clearly been seen over the last couple of years. :oo
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby BLES » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:23 am

deepsouth wrote:I'll skip the cigars - tried smoking a pipe, nearly died on the spot. Sodom was alright Bles, there's loads of development and almost everywhere you go new flats/apartments sprout up. Some parts did look very derelict and unkempt.

We went to a Lion park and the young'ens enjoyed the cubs very much, other than that - had starbucks and doughnuts at rosebank - tasted just as vile is the codswallop we had abroad. The teenager had to get instagram photos, I'm not sure if starbucks will be coming to the Cape - I hope sure as hell not. We have quite an array of good coffee stores and don't need another chain with sub par product

So many people, traffic, stores, I can't deal with that anymore, a noisy night in my 'hood is when the waves crash loudly or the wind is a bit blowy. The cat also chews loudly at night, audible from down the hall, that quiet.

No doofdoof parties/cars/sirens/barking dogs - didn't sleep well. I also thought that paranoia is/was a great selling tool, lots of barbed wire fencing, security gates etc. Is it really that necessary? I know there's crime, but.....

I did live in JHB for quite some time and never really "saw" these things, nor did it make an impact on me. It just was, it was strange how I noticed these things now. Possibly turning into an old curmudgeon

You make it sound worse than it is. :lol: :lol: It depends what time of the day and where exactly you were traveling. I remember last year I visited Cape Town we were traveling on the N2 on our way to the city and the traffic conjunction actually felt worse than I'm used to here in Gauteng. It is a bit unfair to judge a province in only a 60km radius. If you come down again you should meet up with the Gauteng forum guys that we can introduce you to proper coffee shops and hangouts. Where I sleep at night I don't recall the sounds you've heard when you were sleeping. It’s quite peaceful and silent in my suburb. ;) :lol: :lol: :oo
BLES

Postby BLES » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:27 am

Chrisvo wrote:Thanks BLES, I'll keep that list in mind and head on over to the Tobacco shop some time in the near future.

I'll stick to buying singles or small packs rather than a big 20-25 pack of cigars. Once I have an idea of which cigars I prefer, I'll stock up a little more on those but still would only purchase the 4 packs or 10 packs once in a blue moon. With my shaving hobby as it is, can't afford to shell out R4000 or more a box...

Ouch! Those are some expensive cigars..

I also only buy singles and if I fancy one over the other I buy two or three of that brand. I don't smoke that much to invest in a box full of cigars. ;)
BLES

Postby Thug » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:54 am

BLES wrote: I also only buy singles and if I fancy one over the other I buy two or three of that brand. I don't smoke that much to invest in a box full of cigars. ;)

A diminishing return on that investment, unless you of course consider the ash as a dividend. :lol:
Thug

Postby deepsouth » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:13 am

BLES wrote:You make it sound worse than it is. :lol: :lol: It depends what time of the day and where exactly you were traveling. I remember last year I visited Cape Town we were traveling on the N2 on our way to the city and the traffic conjunction actually felt worse than I'm used to here in Gauteng. It is a bit unfair to judge a province in only a 60km radius. If you come down again you should meet up with the Gauteng forum guys that we can introduce you to proper coffee shops and hangouts. Where I sleep at night I don't recall the sounds you've heard when you were sleeping. It’s quite peaceful and silent in my suburb. ;) :lol: :lol: :oo

You're correct Bles, I'm guilty on that part - I did make it sound worst than it is, I still think that high perimeter walls and barbed wire fencing could make a criminals life easier once inside and out of sight.
There's certainly some very dodgy areas in the Cape too with high murder rates, lots of gang activities on the flats and seemingly a new order in the club gangs/bouncers?

I usually don't venture out late either, my dad used to say there's three kinds of people on the road after 22h00
- Drunks
- Criminals / law breakers
- Police catching the above
:lol:
Not sure how true that is anymore
deepsouth

Postby Thug » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:13 pm

deepsouth wrote:
I usually don't venture out late either, my dad used to say there's three kinds of people on the road after 22h00
- Drunks

Probably very true!
Thug

Postby BLES » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:05 am

deepsouth wrote:
BLES wrote:You make it sound worse than it is. :lol: :lol: It depends what time of the day and where exactly you were traveling. I remember last year I visited Cape Town we were traveling on the N2 on our way to the city and the traffic conjunction actually felt worse than I'm used to here in Gauteng. It is a bit unfair to judge a province in only a 60km radius. If you come down again you should meet up with the Gauteng forum guys that we can introduce you to proper coffee shops and hangouts. Where I sleep at night I don't recall the sounds you've heard when you were sleeping. It’s quite peaceful and silent in my suburb. ;) :lol: :lol: :oo

You're correct Bles, I'm guilty on that part - I did make it sound worst than it is, I still think that high perimeter walls and barbed wire fencing could make a criminals life easier once inside and out of sight.
There's certainly some very dodgy areas in the Cape too with high murder rates, lots of gang activities on the flats and seemingly a new order in the club gangs/bouncers?

- Drunks

Prostitutes can also be included onto that list... :lol: :lol:
BLES

Postby deepsouth » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:03 am

The original saying was that;
Only drunks, prostitutes and police are on the streets after 10pm, so what do you want to do out so late? Drink, whore or get arrested :lol:

Was a youngster when my Dad responded with that beaut on a request to stay out late. I do miss him.
deepsouth

Postby eviltoy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:57 pm

hmmm some of my people here I see :P. I am starting my cigar and pipe tobacco collection again. Taking delivery of some Liga Privada Papas fritas, Aj fernandez new world and Aj fernandez enclave. Threw in samplers of Oliva Series V Melanio etc too. Anyone know where to get decent international tins of tobacco locally? Don't feel like importing again
eviltoy

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:21 pm

eviltoy wrote:hmmm some of my people here I see :P. I am starting my cigar and pipe tobacco collection again. Taking delivery of some Liga Privada Papas fritas, Aj fernandez new world and Aj fernandez enclave. Threw in samplers of Oliva Series V Melanio etc too. Anyone know where to get decent international tins of tobacco locally? Don't feel like importing again

Welcome aboard evltoy! :thumbup: Are there restrictions on Tobacco imports? (I know the airports are quite fussy about that).
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby eviltoy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:44 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:
eviltoy wrote:hmmm some of my people here I see :P. I am starting my cigar and pipe tobacco collection again. Taking delivery of some Liga Privada Papas fritas, Aj fernandez new world and Aj fernandez enclave. Threw in samplers of Oliva Series V Melanio etc too. Anyone know where to get decent international tins of tobacco locally? Don't feel like importing again

3000 a kg of tobacco or something like that. But sometimes it gets through without a hitch

Welcome aboard evltoy! :thumbup: Are there restrictions on Tobacco imports? (I know the airports are quite fussy about that).
eviltoy

Postby BLES » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:57 am

Naaah, you probably will only be stuck with me when it comes to pipes and cigars. :lol: :lol: At one time it was only me and Stubble and since he moved to Australia he rarely posts on this section. Chrisvo also recently jumped on the cigar wagon. :D Some local tobacconists stock some tobacco tins but it all depends where you stay. If you're from the Pretoria area I can point you in some direction. ;)
BLES

Postby eviltoy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:56 pm

BLES wrote:

Naaah, you probably will only be stuck with me when it comes to pipes and cigars. :lol: :lol: At one time it was only me and Stubble and since he moved to Australia he rarely posts on this section. Chrisvo also recently jumped on the cigar wagon. :D Some local tobacconists stock some tobacco tins but it all depends where you stay. If you're from the Pretoria area I can point you in some direction. ;)

Bit the bullet ordered from 4noggins lol. Will order some more pipe stuff next week
eviltoy

Next

Return to The Tobacconist's Den