Restoring some Dinki's

Discussions relating to the finest tobacco, your favorite pipe, full-bodied cigars and other accouterments.

Restoring some Dinki's

Postby BLES » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:23 pm

I finally had some free time over the week-end to work on some pipes. I decided to tackle both Dinki pipes I have in my restoration box. Dinki pipes, also known as nose warmers or pocket pipes are small enough to fit easily in ones pocket and provides a quick 15-20 min smoke for those days when time is not on your side.

The first few photos is only to show you how small they actually are against one of my other pipes and then I also took some close-up shots. The one Dinki’s stem is in a terrible state and I can either try to repair it with an epoxy mixed with lamp black oil paint or I can try and convert it to a p-lip stem which will also be based on the same process. I don’t think there is an easier solution unless I could get a replacement stem which I don’t think will happen. Anyway, here they are:

P1040439.JPG

P1040440.JPG

P1040441.JPG

P1040446.JPG

I started out by removing some of the cake build-up with my homemade pipe knife. This knife used to belong to my late dad from his pipe smoking days.

P1040449.JPG

The bowls were then filled with some course see salt topped up with a few drops of rum. This is to soften the remaining cake layer and to draw out the ghost smell and tars from the bowl.

P1040453.JPG

P1040455.JPG

After about 24 hours I removed the salt and remaining cake build-up.

P1040456.JPG

P1040458.JPG

Sorry for the bad photos but at least in some you will be able to see how the inside of the bowl looks like after the removal of the cake layer.

P1040463.JPG

I used some of Mrs Bles’s nail polish remover to wipe the outside to get rid of the old residue from years of pipe smoking.

P1040463.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Re: Restoring some Dinki's

Postby BLES » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:24 pm

On various grades of sandpaper I sanded the rim of the bowl to get it nice at flat again.

P1040496.JPG

To be continued… thanks for watching. :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby deepsouth » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:26 pm

That looks great Bles and good advice, I don't have rum - would whiskey work?
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:29 pm

Nice one BLES! Hope it comes out great.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:34 pm

deepsouth wrote:That looks great Bles and good advice, I don't have rum - would whiskey work?

I just like the sweet taste the rum leaves behind but normally I use a 91% Isopropyl rubbing alcohol I bought from Dischem. I can't see why not use whiskey. I just never tried it before... Give it a go but remember it’s only a few drops to dampen the salt. You don’t want to soak the salt. ;)
BLES

Postby BLES » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:35 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Nice one BLES! Hope it comes out great.

Thanks RVT, :D
BLES

Postby BLES » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:42 pm

I didn't mention it before but it is a good idea to make use surgical gloves when restoring pipes. ;)
BLES

Postby deepsouth » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:51 pm

i always have a box of surgical gloves at home - generally use them when doing kitchen work like deboning chicken (this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfY0lrdXar8), cleaning fish etc...grippier than the naked finger
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby BLES » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:03 pm

deepsouth wrote:i always have a box of surgical gloves at home - generally use them when doing kitchen work like deboning chicken (this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfY0lrdXar8), cleaning fish etc...grippier than the naked finger

I'll have a look tonight. Youtube at work has been deactivated. It’s funny how we have different uses for stuff. My wife also has a box in the kitchen where as I used to carry a box in the vehicle for when searching suspects. Now I only use them for restorations as I'm carrying a set of palm sweat horse riding gloves for the odd occasions when working outside. :D
BLES

Postby BLES » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:39 pm

Now who said you can't peel a chicken?! Hoender! Jou nonsens... This guy is good!

Bles se twak.
BLES

Postby danilo » Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:43 pm

Nice pipes,can you send me the stem sizes? I got a few and maybe i will have some fit. ( it will take sometime for it to arrive). Also, for now i would just cut or try the p . I do love my p system pipes. And from the pic it would not be that hard. You would only need fire. :)
danilo

Postby Thug » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:24 pm

A great pictorial Bles.

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to the 2nd instalment.
Thug

Postby Stubble » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:37 am

This is nice Bless. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully I have a few to restore soon again. I will watch and learn.
Stubble

Postby BLES » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:11 am

danilo wrote:Nice pipes,can you send me the stem sizes? I got a few and maybe i will have some fit. ( it will take sometime for it to arrive). Also, for now i would just cut or try the p . I do love my p system pipes. And from the pic it would not be that hard. You would only need fire. :)

Thanks for the offer Danilo. I think a p-lip is it going to be. If I mess up I'll shout you the stem size... :lol: :lol:
BLES

Postby BLES » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:12 am

Thug wrote:A great pictorial Bles.

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to the 2nd instalment.

Glad you enjoy the pictorial :D :thumbup:
BLES

Postby BLES » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:14 am

Stubble wrote:This is nice Bless. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully I have a few to restore soon again. I will watch and learn.

Thanks Stubble. If these two are finished I still have 6 to restore excluding the stem fit on the Yello Bolle bull dog... :oo
BLES

Postby BLES » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:18 am

I cleaned the stem of the Dr Plumb and had some serious obstacles because it was blocked with tar build-up...
P1040509.jpg

After cleaning the inside I soaked it in bleach after which I cleaned the outside with steel wool and car polish. The entire pipe was thereafter buffed with carnauba wax. I think this one can be called finished. Now I can focus on the problematic one…
P1040500.jpg

P1040501.jpg

P1040502.jpg

P1040504.jpg

P1040507.jpg

6a2bd73e7de3f613102e0c8c17ac62fa_260.jpg
BLES

Postby Stubble » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:30 pm

It turned out beautiful, Bles. May you have plenty delightful puffs with it. I came across this web store. It sells the wax and the micro pads abrasive pads. Goes up to 12000 grid. Could work well for pipe restoration. It is SA based wich makes it easy.
http://www.mrwoodturner.co.za/index.php ... b9ec70e4b5
Stubble

Postby BLES » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:06 am

Stubble wrote:It turned out beautiful, Bles. May you have plenty delightful puffs with it. I came across this web store. It sells the wax and the micro pads abrasive pads. Goes up to 12000 grid. Could work well for pipe restoration. It is SA based wich makes it easy.

Thanks Stubble. This is wonderful news. I have been looking for those micro pads for a while now... :thumbup: :D
BLES

Postby Thug » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:38 pm

Wonderful job Bles!!
Thanks for sharing.

Stubble wrote:It turned out beautiful, Bles. May you have plenty delightful puffs with it. I came across this web store. It sells the wax and the micro pads abrasive pads. Goes up to 12000 grid. Could work well for pipe restoration. It is SA based wich makes it easy.

And for razor restoration as well!!
Need to grab me some.
Thanks Stubble.
Thug

Next

Return to The Tobacconist's Den