TOBACCO HOBBYISTS

Discussions relating to the finest tobacco, your favorite pipe, full-bodied cigars and other accouterments.

TOBACCO HOBBYISTS

Postby BLES » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:03 am

I’m one of those people who like to put my thoughts on paper. When I process some thought in my head I sometimes pull my laptop closer to record this though process in a kind of article or story. I’m playing with the idea of starting my own Blog one day to rubble some of my nonsense down. Now while sitting here on the stoep (Saturday evening) having some Wesley’s No 13 Golden Flake English blend tobacco in my Lorenzo Oom Paul pipe I thought let me bore you guys with some of my thoughts although I know none of you are tobacco hobbyists this one is precisely about that.

It seems that lately I am seeing a lot of cigar guys coming to the pipe side of things to give it a shot. Maybe it has something to do with the higher sin taxes on cigars, I don’t know. I think it’s a great thing too. Many folks get into cigars or pipes and never venture from one side to the other. I honestly believe they’re doing themselves a disservice by not at least giving the other side a shot. As I mentioned in some of my earlier topics, I consider myself more of a tobacco hobbyist than a pipe smoker or a cigar smoker. I’ve tried very nearly every type of tobacco product there is. The only one I haven’t given a shot that I can think of is snuff. Anyway, I think our time together here today is going to be about the things I’ve found about our wonderful hobby of tobacco.

As I said, I’ve given just about every form of tobacco I can think of a try. Cigarettes are just another form of nicotine delivery and don’t do much other than keep a true addiction fed. But when you want to talk about tobacco, pipes and cigars are really a cut above any other form of tobacco.
At one stage I decided to give a hookah a try. Quite frankly, I didn’t enjoy it much. Yes there are a myriad of flavors and it’s really a smooth and cool smoke but the thing about a hookah is that it’s more of a social event than anything. I believe that’s one of the reasons it’s become so popular with university aged people. Well, that and the other things that can be smoked in a hookah pipe as well. But I won’t get into that since it’s not actually tobacco.

After quit smoking cigarettes almost 16 years back cigars were one of the first things I tried about 5 years back. I’d pick up a couple at the local shop and get together with a friend or two and try them out. I have always enjoyed the big full flavors so naturally I went with a lot of Maduros. Once again, however, I found that cigars were more of a social thing and my enjoyment of them was somewhat limited since there was nowhere close by that you could go buy a cigar and sit down and enjoy it. But I found that when I was home and wanting something to relax with, a cigar just didn’t do much for me. Of course, that was before my palate had developed some.

Then I found pipe smoking again. I took out my Peterson Barrel, my first ever pipe which my wife bought me when I was still smoking cigarettes. The pipe after that was my late father’s Byford pipe I restored and then the others followed which I mostly bought as estate pipes accept for my Angel real briar pipe which I bought from a local tobacconist. Today I have eight pipes in rotation. I found that I really enjoyed smoking a pipe home alone. I’m the type of person who needs a certain amount of time away from people and smoking a pipe really gave me the opportunity to sit and relax. It connected me with a long standing tradition that was once so commonly accepted that even the clergy smoked and you could find people in all walks of life smoking a pipe at their jobs and in their homes. It’s a contemplative time to reflect on the day’s events and the things that are coming up tomorrow.

The art of smoking a pipe, and it truly can be considered an art when you think of the learning curve and the number of tobacco/pipe combinations there are, is something that helped me develop my palate. I found the number of flavors offered were great enough to keep me interested on an ongoing basis. You have everything from the heavily cased aromatics to the nearly uncased ropes and plugs. The general public has no idea the different flavors that have come from tobacconists around the globe. Most people only get to smell the aroma of the aromatics that pipe smokers tend to take in public. So if you ask people randomly if they like the smell of pipe smoke, most will say they do.

However, recently, I’ve decided that I don’t too much care what people think of what I’m smoking in my pipe. I’ve had people comment on the “odor” as I’m smoking a nice full English blend like the one I’m smoking now. The No 13 is a lighter blend of medium strength flakes and Turkish for natural aroma and smoothness. Slow-burning, not too rich, ideal for out-door smoking. I find it more amusing than anything now. What I’ve found is that the pipe tobacco that smells the worst to other people seems to always taste the best to the smoker.

Another discovery I’ve found since I’ve been smoking pipes is that when I smoke a cigar, I’m far more able to discern flavor profiles than I used to be. Would I have developed this kind of palate over time if I had never discovered a pipe? Who knows? I do know that other cigar smokers who’ve taken up the pipe say the same thing. Their cigars taste much better and they are more able to single out particular flavors now that they’ve had their palate developed with pipe smoke. I feel the same.

Cigar flavor profiles, though they are different and some can be quite strong, tend to have some of the same characteristics whether you smoke a Padron or a Montecristo. I’m not saying that all cigars taste alike. Far from it. What I am saying is the spectrum of flavors in cigars is more subtle than with pipes. The pipe flavour profiles vary so greatly that I believe there is a pipe tobacco flavor to suit just about anyone.

So whether someone is a Virginia/Perique lover, English connoisseur, or maybe a burley enthusiast the most important thing is he enjoy that smoke! And for those enjoying a cigar from time to time don’t forget to pick up a stick occasionally as well. You never know when the desire for the chocolaty flavors of a Padron or the spiciness of a nice Cuban is going to strike!

Well, I’ll wrap it up for now. I’ve realised life’s too short to smoke something I don’t like! :D

Thanks for reading my nonsense once again... :lol:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Re: TOBACCO HOBBYISTS

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:26 am

Thanks for sharing BLES! :thumbup: Very interesting hobby.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Thug » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:35 pm

Thanks for the interesting read Bles.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby BLES » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:29 am

You are most welcome.... :lol:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby deepsouth » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:31 am

Nice read Bles, I'm an ex-smoker of many years ( can't remember how many ) I was always keen on the pipe/cigar smoking but wouldn't have appreciated it.

Was uhm-ing and aah-ing around getting into it, but I'm a terrible ex-smoker, you know the kind that taps on the smokers terrariums in restaurants and pointing out the dying breed to the kids ;)
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:35 am

deepsouth wrote:Was uhm-ing and aah-ing around getting into it, but I'm a terrible ex-smoker, you know the kind that taps on the smokers terrariums in restaurants and pointing out the dying breed to the kids ;)

:lol:
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:17 pm

Yes indeed Deepsouth! :lol: :lol: The cigarette crowd has really ruined one of the most enjoyable plants on earth for most people. ;)
BLES

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:14 am

:thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Return to The Tobacconist's Den