LOCAL PIPE TOBACCO

Discussions relating to the finest tobacco, your favorite pipe, full-bodied cigars and other accouterments.

LOCAL PIPE TOBACCO

Postby BLES » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:27 am

All my tobaccos in my cellar are from abroad and one can expect to pay anything from R280 to R350 for a 50g tin. Due to the steep prices of tobacco I decided to explore local tobacco which is much cheaper. But then like with shaving accessories one doesn't want to compromise good quality for cheaper products. Now for me being a seasonal puffer puffing only ones in a while I will still procure tobacco from abroad as it is always nice to relax with a good bowl of tobacco and then price shouldn't be a factor. In fact I'm waiting for two tins to arrive but will write about them once they arrived. The one is a superb transitional tobacco for one who likes to go from aromatics to English blends.

Hey, I'm going off the point. Back to local tobacco. Saturday while chatting to a local Tobacconist he let me smelled some of the house blends which was a fun experience for me. One must however be careful to just buy any house blend. Rather make sure who made them as some tobacco stores sold house blends which is made from low quality tobacco from Zim ect.

I decided to experiment with Westley's and Van Erkoms house blends as they are currently some of the best house blends available is SA. I once spoke to Mr Wesley over the phone about his house blends and he suggested I should try No 43 Old Gold.

So while I smelt the house blends I smelled a familiar tobacco of which I'm very fond off. I have a tin of Petersen De Lux Mixture and a pouch of Mc Barren Modern mixture which is quite similar to each other (scent and taste wise). They are a Danish type of blend and is also quite a mild tobacco with a pleasant room note for the non-smokers who like to sit and chat with us puffers. :lol: Now to come back to my story. This one smelled the same as these two I have and the colour and texture of the tobacco also look similar. I asked the tobacconist what do they call that house blend and to my surprise he said "Wesley's No 43 Old Gold".

I bought 7g, which is enough for two bowls to sample.

This morning on the roof of our building overlooking a beautiful Pretoria city awakening after some rain we had last night I sampled the first bowl.

Very similar to the other two tobaccos from abroad in taste and smell. A bit milder, actually great for a new puffer. There was however something different to this tobacco. It is a much slower burning tobacco and I didn’t experience any tong bite which the other two might give you if you puff your pipe to fast. This is actually a really nice cool smoking tobacco. I'll try the second bowl in a different pipe on another day I'm up to a puff but actually don't need it to make up my decision that I definitely want this one.
Here comes the best part, it sells for R1.34 a gram. 50g will sit me back R67 and I sit with a local product similar to an overseas product for much less. Comes to think about it, if one should take away the fancy tin and packaging and export cost this is probably the same price the tobacco abroad would have cost?
That’s all for today. Thanks for reading my nonsense. :D
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
User avatar
BLES
 
Posts: 4342
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 9:27 am
Location: PRETORIA

Re: LOCAL PIPE TOBACCO

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:46 am

BLES wrote:All my tobaccos in my cellar are from abroad and one can expect to pay anything from R280 to R350 for a 50g tin. Due to the steep prices of tobacco I decided to explore local tobacco which is much cheaper. But then like with shaving accessories one doesn't want to compromise good quality for cheaper products. Now for me being a seasonal puffer puffing only ones in a while I will still procure tobacco from abroad as it is always nice to relax with a good bowl of tobacco and then price shouldn't be a factor. In fact I'm waiting for two tins to arrive but will write about them once they arrived. The one is a superb transitional tobacco for one who likes to go from aromatics to English blends.

Hey, I'm going off the point. Back to local tobacco. Saturday while chatting to a local Tobacconist he let me smelled some of the house blends which was a fun experience for me. One must however be careful to just buy any house blend. Rather make sure who made them as some tobacco stores sold house blends which is made from low quality tobacco from Zim ect.

I decided to experiment with Westley's and Van Erkoms house blends as they are currently some of the best house blends available is SA. I once spoke to Mr Wesley over the phone about his house blends and he suggested I should try No 43 Old Gold.

So while I smelt the house blends I smelled a familiar tobacco of which I'm very fond off. I have a tin of Petersen De Lux Mixture and a pouch of Mc Barren Modern mixture which is quite similar to each other (scent and taste wise). They are a Danish type of blend and is also quite a mild tobacco with a pleasant room note for the non-smokers who like to sit and chat with us puffers. :lol: Now to come back to my story. This one smelled the same as these two I have and the colour and texture of the tobacco also look similar. I asked the tobacconist what do they call that house blend and to my surprise he said "Wesley's No 43 Old Gold".

I bought 7g, which is enough for two bowls to sample.

This morning on the roof of our building overlooking a beautiful Pretoria city awakening after some rain we had last night I sampled the first bowl.

Very similar to the other two tobaccos from abroad in taste and smell. A bit milder, actually great for a new puffer. There was however something different to this tobacco. It is a much slower burning tobacco and I didn’t experience any tong bite which the other two might give you if you puff your pipe to fast. This is actually a really nice cool smoking tobacco. I'll try the second bowl in a different pipe on another day I'm up to a puff but actually don't need it to make up my decision that I definitely want this one.
Here comes the best part, it sells for R1.34 a gram. 50g will sit me back R67 and I sit with a local product similar to an overseas product for much less. Comes to think about it, if one should take away the fancy tin and packaging and export cost this is probably the same price the tobacco abroad would have cost?
That’s all for today. Thanks for reading my nonsense. :D



Nice post Bles! Always great to support local.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.


http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
User avatar
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor
 
Posts: 9565
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Durban

Re: LOCAL PIPE TOBACCO

Postby AndreV » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:31 am

Nice post Bles.
I love supporting local businesses.
Even in the Craft beer scene i'll much rather support a local brewer than an imported fancy beer (not that it's an issue finding local crafts anymore :D )
Local is lekker!!
Shaving like it should be done!!
User avatar
AndreV
 
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:26 pm
Location: JHB

Re: LOCAL PIPE TOBACCO

Postby Thug » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:51 am

Great post Bles.

Thanks for the interesting read.

As a matter of interest, there is a guy in Italy who makes shaving brushes out of the same briar wood used in the production of pipes. Only problem is that he charges between 350 - 400 Euro for the brush :shock:
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
User avatar
Thug
 
Posts: 4092
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: Johannesburg

Re: LOCAL PIPE TOBACCO

Postby BLES » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:39 am

AndreV wrote:Nice post Bles.
I love supporting local businesses.
Even in the Craft beer scene i'll much rather support a local brewer than an imported fancy beer (not that it's an issue finding local crafts anymore :D )
Local is lekker!!

Thanks Andre. I also don't have a problem supporting local business as long as they don't rob you with cheap imitations. We were issued with retention cords for our firearms with the same look and similar packaging as an equivalent US brand. Only difference ours had some nice big proudly South African stickers on them. These cords were made to prevent your firearm from loss while out in the street. When we issued it to our members I received 3 of them back the next day as the cables snapped when they installed them on their firearms. This is not supposed to happen :oo

Back to tobacco. One must bear in mind you get two types of smokers when it comes to pipe smoking. The connoisseur and the chain/habit smoker. The chain/habit smoker want maximum tobacco for less bucks. The connoisseur is willing to pay big bucks for less tobacco. I find with local tobacco retailers are catering more for the needs of the chain/habit smoker as this is where the money lays. This is where my quest comes in to find the brands the tobacconists like JJ Cales, Wesleys and Sturkes blends for a hobby puffer like me. (I'm far from calling myself a connoisseur).

Like with coffee drinking one normally starts drinking it with milk and sugar. Once you make the transition from milk and sugar to black and bitter you start developing your taste for the finer aromas in coffee. Same thing with pipe puffers. You start out with aromatic tobacco and once you get use to puffing you'll start making your transition to English and Balkan blends ect. This is where we sometimes don't realise that here we sits with an unique African blend which is bit more spicy and earthy almost like the scent of an campfire. Although I have ordered a tobacco to assist me with my transition to English blends I thought it would be proper to rather do a transition to an African bland. Proudly South African!
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
User avatar
BLES
 
Posts: 4342
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 9:27 am
Location: PRETORIA

Re: LOCAL PIPE TOBACCO

Postby BLES » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:54 am

Thug wrote:Great post Bles.

Thanks for the interesting read.

As a matter of interest, there is a guy in Italy who makes shaving brushes out of the same briar wood used in the production of pipes. Only problem is that he charges between 350 - 400 Euro for the brush :shock:


Well briar is one of the hardest woods and the stains in the wood are spectacular but the price is ridiculous. If you really want to have one why don't you make it yourself? Buy yourself an Angelo real briar pipe with a nice round bowl (you’ll find one for between R200 and R300). Cut off the stem and sand a bit with fine sanding paper. You will be left with a tiny hole which you can fill up by making a plug from the remaining part of the stem. Order a knot to fit in the opening of the bowl and you’ll have quite an unique brush made out of briar.....and if you want to be fancy take a sharpie and write Proudly South African on it :lol:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
User avatar
BLES
 
Posts: 4342
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015 9:27 am
Location: PRETORIA


Return to The Tobacconist's Den

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
cron