CIGAR PRICE INCREASE

Discussions relating to the finest tobacco, your favorite pipe, full-bodied cigars and other accouterments.

CIGAR PRICE INCREASE

Postby BLES » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:49 pm

As most of you know pipes and cigars is one of my beloved hobbies. Saturday I spoke to a salesperson at a local tobacconist about the ridiculous prices on imported pipe tobacco and cigars when he told me I should stock up as there will be a price increase due to the weak Rand. Today I got this e-mail from a supplier I normally order from confirming this.

"Dear Member
It is always an unpleasant event to announce a price increase.
A year ago our Rand was trading at R11.46 to the US Dollar. Today it is trading at R16.58. That is a decrease in value of around 45%.
There will be a general price increase of up to 30% effective 1 February 2016.
There may be a further increase on the 1st of August 2016 due to the annual increase by Habanos SA and the new importation taxes that will be announced at the end of February 2016."

It seems this hobby is starting to go into a slow death... :x

Maybe you should start stocking up on the shaving front as well...you never know. I think it is time for me to order a Semogue brush before I'll regret it later on.... :drool:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Re: CIGAR PRICE INCREASE

Postby Thug » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:13 pm

Unfortunately, it's not only "luxury" goods that are affected.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Re: CIGAR PRICE INCREASE

Postby BLES » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:10 am

You're quite right Thug. I see some difficult times laying ahead of us.. :oo
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Return to The Tobacconist's Den