TOBACCO CELLAR

Discussions relating to the finest tobacco, your favorite pipe, full-bodied cigars and other accouterments.

TOBACCO CELLAR

Postby BLES » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:27 pm

I added a new tin of tobacco to my tobacco cellar. Peterson Irish whiskey. I have a few Peterson, Mc Baren and local house blends from Wesley's in my cellar. Now you might ask what a tobacco cellar is. Similar to a Wine Cellar, a Tobacco Cellar is a collection of premium pipe tobacco that is gathered by discerning pipe smokers. Also similar to wine, pipe tobacco improves with age. In one of my previous topics I showed the tobacco cabinet I made. For now this is my cellar but maybe in a year’s time I'll upgrade to something bigger. Who knows? :D
Although it is said that aging pipe tobacco can make for a more pleasurable smoking experience however there is some misconceptions about this. Burley blends and aromatics don’t seem to benefit much but tobacco such as Virginia and Virginia/Perique blends probably are the ones that change most noticeably and generally become sweeter and smoother.
You will notice that most of my tobaccos are aromatics and therefor although I store it in a cellar it is not for aging purposes but rather to keep it fresher for longer periods as I’m not smoking pipe a lot and don’t want the tobacco to ruin as it is quite expensive to obtain such good quality imported tobacco.
The preferred method for storing tobacco is in mason jars filled about ¾ of the way leaving enough air space to allow for maturation. I mostly purchase vacuum-sealed tins which also allows to age tobacco but relatively slowly. It doesn’t really concern me as one, it is aromatic and two I’m not really into the aging but rather in safe storing. This might change in future though.
Another tip I can give is when you are ready to smoke a tobacco from a tin or mason jar, open the container and allow the jar or tin to remain open for an hour or so before loading a bowl, to let the air bring out the flavour.
Thanks again to SHSA for the new addition to my cellar. :thumbup:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Re: TOBACCO CELLAR

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:37 pm

BLES wrote:I added a new tin of tobacco to my tobacco cellar. Peterson Irish whiskey. I have a few Peterson, Mc Baren and local house blends from Wesley's in my cellar. Now you might ask what a tobacco cellar is. Similar to a Wine Cellar, a Tobacco Cellar is a collection of premium pipe tobacco that is gathered by discerning pipe smokers. Also similar to wine, pipe tobacco improves with age. In one of my previous topics I showed the tobacco cabinet I made. For now this is my cellar but maybe in a year’s time I'll upgrade to something bigger. Who knows? :D
Although it is said that aging pipe tobacco can make for a more pleasurable smoking experience however there is some misconceptions about this. Burley blends and aromatics don’t seem to benefit much but tobacco such as Virginia and Virginia/Perique blends probably are the ones that change most noticeably and generally become sweeter and smoother.
You will notice that most of my tobaccos are aromatics and therefor although I store it in a cellar it is not for aging purposes but rather to keep it fresher for longer periods as I’m not smoking pipe a lot and don’t want the tobacco to ruin as it is quite expensive to obtain such good quality imported tobacco.
The preferred method for storing tobacco is in mason jars filled about ¾ of the way leaving enough air space to allow for maturation. I mostly purchase vacuum-sealed tins which also allows to age tobacco but relatively slowly. It doesn’t really concern me as one, it is aromatic and two I’m not really into the aging but rather in safe storing. This might change in future though.
Another tip I can give is when you are ready to smoke a tobacco from a tin or mason jar, open the container and allow the jar or tin to remain open for an hour or so before loading a bowl, to let the air bring out the flavour.
Thanks again to SHSA for the new addition to my cellar. :thumbup:

Very interesting reading. Thanks Bles. :thumbup:
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Thug » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:53 pm

Here's a thought Bles.

Purchase some MWF, split the puck into two. Vacuum seal one half of the puck with some pipe tobacco (cherry or something similar) for a month or so and bob's you uncle, mwf infused tobacco soap.

It's been done before.
Thug

Postby BLES » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:10 am

Thug wrote:Here's a thought Bles.

Purchase some MWF, split the puck into two. Vacuum seal one half of the puck with some pipe tobacco (cherry or something similar) for a month or so and bob's you uncle, mwf infused tobacco soap.

It's been done before.

Already purchased MWF and might just do it as soon as I'm having an empty tin again. I did it with a Williams stick and I can promise you it doesn’t smell anything like rose anymore. :D
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby BLES » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:36 am

This time of the year for as long as I can remember it is Mrs Bles spring cleaning time. There is however one place in home where I put my foot down where she is not allowed to spring clean leaving me to do the spring cleaning and that is my study room. Now last night when cleaning my tobacco cellar I noticed a decline in my tobacco jars... I definitely didn’t take track of the jars I took to my office for those SOTD occasions and not returning them… :oo BTW, the jar on the right was a gift from Stubble I received last week…. :D :D
P1040564.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BLES

Postby BLES » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:38 am

PS...these are the jars at my office :roll:
BLES

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:14 pm

BLES wrote:PS...these are the jars at my office :roll:

Nice Bles. Filling up the office with tobacco :) :thumbup:
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby deepsouth » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:22 pm

Lekker Bles, I bought some wesleys old gold and latakaia to try out in the pipe, but haven't had the opportunity to sneak away for a puff :-) Good to know that the tobacco won't go off - still in a ziploc back from the store.
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby BLES » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:26 pm

deepsouth wrote:Lekker Bles, I bought some wesleys old gold and latakaia to try out in the pipe, but haven't had the opportunity to sneak away for a puff :-) Good to know that the tobacco won't go off - still in a ziploc back from the store.

The old gold is very nice. I have a jar filled with old gold at home as well. It is quite similar to the Peterson Deluxe Mixture and Mac Barren Mixture Modern. Latakia on its own is another challenge. To me it smells like burned rubber when you open the jar. Normally Latakia and Orientals are mixed with Virginia tobaccos into English blends which I enjoy more than Latakia on its own.

I like to keep my tobacco moist in the containers to preserve it for long periods and an hour or two before smoking a pipe I will take out enough for a bowl and spread it on a handkerchief, preferably clean :twisted: , to dry out a bit otherwise you might struggle to light it due to being to moist. Get yourself an small empty Douw Egbert coffee jar, distil it with boiling water and add the tobacco once the container is dry and it will preserve your tobacco nicely for some time. After some time you will however have to place some sort of humidifier inside to keep it moist. I use pieces of a terracotta tile I’ve broken in pieces and soak them in hot water for about 5 minutes, dry them and place them in the jar. Close the lid and give the bottle a shake or two and you don’t have to worry about your tobacco to go off ever again. ;)
BLES

Postby deepsouth » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:04 pm

I was wondering about that latakia - I do enjoy single malt whiskey and prefer the peatier type - lagavulin, adbeg etc - islay region mostly. on first whiff it reminded me of burnt bakelite or rubber. just not sure how i will take a relaxing smoke if i have to worry about being caught by the wife and kids :lol: :oo
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby Stubble » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:38 pm

I think it is almost impossible to have a smoke and hide it up well from the misses. I can remember when I had a skelm smoke in high school there was all kind of tricks we thought worked but now I know we did not fool anybody. The English blends is very smoky and takes long to dissipate. Some of the orientals is easier to mask. :think: a Braai is always a great idea.
Stubble

Postby BLES » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:45 am

Have to agree with Stubble...this is something you won't be able to hide easily and something very difficult to get approval from the family... Who said life is fair... :lol: :lol: :lol:
BLES

Return to The Tobacconist's Den