Estate pipes

Discussions relating to the finest tobacco, your favorite pipe, full-bodied cigars and other accouterments.

Estate pipes

Postby BLES » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:10 am

I won yesterday an auction on BOB with a Lorenzo estate pipe that started out at R80. It has been a long time since I won a bid on an estate pipe as I picked up that estate pipes is becoming more in demand as you really need to battle it out to win these auction. A year back I could easily pick them up for between R50 to R150 without a lot of competition but lately due to the demand and the increase of bidders on these items they are pushing these pipes to be almost unaffordable.
I think this will be a fun project refurbishing it over the festive season. This pipe will be broken in by some Peterson Irish Whiskey tobacco SHSA obtained for me from Ireland.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Re: Estate pipes

Postby BLES » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:12 am

While I’m on this topic, please shout if you perhaps see some estate pipes while you look around for old razors and shaving stuff. :D
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby Thug » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:37 am

That's great Bles.

You have a picture of the pipe?
Thug

Postby BLES » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:33 pm

This is the photo which was placed on BOB.
1362997_151115152400_DSCN7457-crop.jpg

There are a lot of different designs one can find under the Lorenzo brand and this shape is called the “Oom Paul” which is a classic shape made famous by Oom Paul Kruger. My winning bid on this pipe was R175 while their retail price goes between R400 to R750.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BLES

Postby HenkB » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:10 pm

Awesome Bles! Show the pics of restoration!
HenkB

Postby BLES » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:13 pm

Thanks Henk. I'll definitely do a SBS on this one. :thumbup:
BLES

Postby Thug » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:25 pm

Very nice Bles. Looks in good condition.

How do refurbish a mouthpiece that might have been sucked on for 30 years by the previous owner?
Thug

Postby BLES » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:30 am

Same question could be asked how one would refurbish coffee cup rims say at Wimpy that was sipped on for 30 years by many different customers? :lol: Hygiene-wise it was also something that bothered me a lot because I couldn’t imagine puffing on the same pipe stem another person used previously. One sits with two problems when refurbishing a stem. The inside which was most probably in contact with salvia, smoke, tar and oils and then the outside where you basically finds that with Vulcanite stems they can oxidize, turning a disgusting brownish green color caused by a reaction between sunlight and the sulfur in the rubber. Because oxygen bleach is almost impossible to find in SA and normal chlorine bleach is too harsh for these stems if soaked for too long in it I found some tablets one use for cleaning the inside of coffee machines which contains the same ingredients as oxygen bleach to use instead. I dissolve one of these tablets in warm water and let the stem soak for an hour. Thereafter I let it air dry and then I start to clean the inside with pipe cleaners, earbuds and 90% rubbing alcohol. You continue with this process until a pipe cleaner came out completely clean. Prepare to use a lot of pipe cleaners and patience. The oxidization on the outside can often be removed with a mild abrasive, such as baking soda or toothpaste. If the oxidation is too severe for this treatment I use automobile rubbing compound which do the trick for me. After I’m satisfied that the stem is clean and shiny I once again place it in normal chlorine bleach and warm mix to soak for 10 minutes, rinse with cold water and polish up with a soft cloth and then it is time to start with the bowl which is a complete different process. :thumbup:
BLES

Postby Thug » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:56 am

BLES wrote:Same question could be asked how one would refurbish coffee cup rims say at Wimpy that was sipped on for 30 years by many different customers? :lol: Hygiene-wise it was also something that bothered me a lot because I couldn’t imagine puffing on the same pipe stem another person used previously. One sits with two problems when refurbishing a stem. The inside which was most probably in contact with salvia, smoke, tar and oils and then the outside where you basically finds that with Vulcanite stems they can oxidize, turning a disgusting brownish green color caused by a reaction between sunlight and the sulfur in the rubber. Because oxygen bleach is almost impossible to find in SA and normal chlorine bleach is too harsh for these stems if soaked for too long in it I found some tablets one use for cleaning the inside of coffee machines which contains the same ingredients as oxygen bleach to use instead. I dissolve one of these tablets in warm water and let the stem soak for an hour. Thereafter I let it air dry and then I start to clean the inside with pipe cleaners, earbuds and 90% rubbing alcohol. You continue with this process until a pipe cleaner came out completely clean. Prepare to use a lot of pipe cleaners and patience. The oxidization on the outside can often be removed with a mild abrasive, such as baking soda or toothpaste. If the oxidation is too severe for this treatment I use automobile rubbing compound which do the trick for me. After I’m satisfied that the stem is clean and shiny I once again place it in normal chlorine bleach and warm mix to soak for 10 minutes, rinse with cold water and polish up with a soft cloth and then it is time to start with the bowl which is a complete different process. :thumbup:

Interesting process.

What about using something like Barbicide which Admin stocks?
Thug

Postby BLES » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:12 pm

Thanks Thug. Now this is actually a great idea. I would never in a million years thought of using it. The only thing I should take care of is to rinse it extremely well because I see one of the warnings say to "WASH THOROUGHLY WITH SOAP AND WATER AFTER HANDLING AND BEFORE, DRINKING, OR USING TOBACCO." I'll definitely get me some. :D
BLES

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:16 pm

BLES wrote:Thanks Thug. Now this is actually a great idea. I would never in a million years thought of using it. The only thing I should take care of is to rinse it extremely well because I see one of the warnings say to "WASH THOROUGHLY WITH SOAP AND WATER AFTER HANDLING AND BEFORE, DRINKING, OR USING TOBACCO." I'll definitely get me some. :D

Apparently barbicide is deadly stuff. They say 50 ml is enough to kill an adult human being...
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:40 pm

vinegar could work
ShaveHavenSA

Postby Chrisvo » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:11 pm

Hi Bles, I go to a weekly flea market here in Cape Town. One of the vendors there has a growing collection of pipes - not perfect, but perfect for restoration - if you know what I mean.. he has almost 30 of them.

I asked him for his number on your behalf, which he has kindly given me. If you want I will send you his details via PM.
Chrisvo

Postby AndreGrobler » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:22 am

Have you looked at Londa Bio bleach from from faithful to nature? It is chlorine free...
AndreGrobler

Postby BLES » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:13 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:
BLES wrote:Thanks Thug. Now this is actually a great idea. I would never in a million years thought of using it. The only thing I should take care of is to rinse it extremely well because I see one of the warnings say to "WASH THOROUGHLY WITH SOAP AND WATER AFTER HANDLING AND BEFORE, DRINKING, OR USING TOBACCO." I'll definitely get me some. :D

Apparently barbicide is deadly stuff. They say 50 ml is enough to kill an adult human being...

Was it something I said Thug? :think: :lol:
BLES

Postby BLES » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:15 pm

AndreGrobler wrote:Have you looked at Londa Bio bleach from from faithful to nature? It is chlorine free...

No I haven't but I'll have a look. Thanks :thumbup:
BLES

Postby BLES » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:22 pm

Chrisvo wrote:Hi Bles, I go to a weekly flea market here in Cape Town. One of the vendors there has a growing collection of pipes - not perfect, but perfect for restoration - if you know what I mean.. he has almost 30 of them.

I asked him for his number on your behalf, which he has kindly given me. If you want I will send you his details via PM.

Yes please!!! Thank you that would be awesome :clap: :clap: Seems lady luck is on my side as I won another pipe on BOB as well :D
BLES

Postby Thug » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:58 pm

BLES wrote:
RiverValleyTrading wrote:

Was it something I said Thug? :think: :lol:

:lol: I didn't suggest you drink it. :roll:
Thug

Postby BLES » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:13 am

I think I’ll rather stay with my Isopropyl. :think: :lol:
BLES

Postby BLES » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:49 pm

My latest pipe won on BOB. It is a Ronson with changeable screw on bowls.
896546_151018192749_image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BLES

Next

Return to The Tobacconist's Den