Pipe cabinet for my pipes and accessories

Discussions relating to the finest tobacco, your favorite pipe, full-bodied cigars and other accouterments.

Re: Pipe cabinet for my pipes and accessories

Postby BLES » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:46 pm

Stubble wrote:
The candles is crazy expensive I agree. They do smell really nice and last quit long. The Zippo is for lighting of the pipes yes. I got a pipe insert for the plain, brush metal, Zippo. I got gatvol for using matches all the time. The tins is Peterson Irish Whiskey and Old Dublin. The Irish whiskey is a bit strong for my liking but I like the Old Dublin. As to the pipe cloth... On a serious note I see you get spesial Dunhill cloths from Wesley's. Don't know if it is any good for the cheapo pipes of mine.

No matter how cheap your pipes are, if they are made from real briar wood and have a vulcanite stem it will only provide you with the perfect smoke as long as you take proper care of it. That’s why it is important to have a pipe wipe cloth at hand. If you wipe down each pipe after every smoke, it will go a long way to preserve the shine and outer cleanliness of your pipes. Each time you finish a pipe, give it a wipe, including the stem, and don't forget to wipe the rim. This will really help reduce rim tar and will keep your pipes looking sharp.

It is important to know that when we smoke, our stems not only are exposed to heat from the burning tobacco but also our saliva as well. Saliva is slightly acidic, which means it will act as a catalyst for the oxidation process. Without proper care, you'll find your jet-black stems turning browner and browner after every smoke. By simply wiping off your stems with a clean pipe wipe cloth and running a pipe cleaner through the channel, you can greatly reduce the chance of your stems turning brown/ green and oxidized. It is actually sad to see the state of the pipes I received before starting refurbishing the. It is clear that most gentlemen don’t care for their pies as they should.

Don’t worry too much about those expensive pipe wipe cloths sold by tobacconists. You can make your own pipe wipe cloth. :D

Get yourself any clean soft cloth, unfold it all the way and lay it down all spread out on a newspaper, or hang it up. If you hang it up, it would probably be a good idea to do it outside so you don't get furniture polish all over everything.

Once you have your wipe all spread out, thoroughly spray it with furniture spray like Mr Min. Spray until it's completely saturated and damp. Then, turn it over and do the same to the other side. Hang it up, still all the spread out and let it completely dry. You now have a pipe wipe that will last for years. ;)

In between uses, fold your pipe wipe and keep it inside a ziplock sandwich baggie to keep it clean.

I have several pipe wipes placed strategically where I usually smoke or handle pipes.

It’s an interesting choice of tobacco blend types you purchased. :thumbup: I can understand why you prefer the Old Dublin over the Whiskey. Old Dublin is an English blend and is the perfect transition from aromatic to English blends. It lights and smokes beautifully and is very smooth with a medium amount of nicotine. The Whiskey on the other hand is a Virginia based tobacco. Lots of nicotine in this blend and newbies should steer clear from this one until you develop some hairs on your chest. :lol: :lol: I noticed with slower puffing it brings the flavour of the whiskey to the forefront.

Please post a photo of the insert for the Zippo. It sounds interesting. The reason I prefer not to use my zippo with my pipes are 1) it char the rims of my pipes and 2) the Zippo fluid fumes ruins the taste of the tobacco for me. :oo
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby Stubble » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:03 pm

Thanks for all the great tips Bles. The Wesley's blend 55 Latakia, English blend I presume, is my favorite tabaco so far. I am not really fond of the aromatics. The Black Cherry Wesley's is not to bad. Smoking it just now sitting on the stoep. The pipe insert in the Zippo prevents burning the rim. I wait a few seconds till most of the lighter fluid smell is burned away then light. It seems to work okay. The weather here at the coast is not the best for varnish drying so it will still be a few days before the pipe rack is all finished up. You don't perhaps have any tips on what to do so that the room I put the pipes in don't smell like old braai?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stubble

Postby Thug » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:20 pm

Stubble wrote:Thanks for all the great tips Bles. The Wesley's blend 55 Latakia, English blend I presume, is my favorite tabaco so far. I am not really fond of the aromatics. The Black Cherry Wesley's is not to bad. Smoking it just now sitting on the stoep. The pipe insert in the Zippo prevents burning the rim. I wait a few seconds till most of the lighter fluid smell is burned away then light. It seems to work okay. The weather here at the coast is not the best for varnish drying so it will still be a few days before the pipe rack is all finished up. You don't perhaps have any tips on what to do so that the room I put the pipes in don't smell like old braai?

Lovely looking pipe Stubble.

Is that a corn cob?

I could see myself smoking on of those.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby BLES » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:45 am

Stubble wrote:Thanks for all the great tips Bles. The Wesley's blend 55 Latakia, English blend I presume, is my favorite tabaco so far. I am not really fond of the aromatics. The Black Cherry Wesley's is not to bad. Smoking it just now sitting on the stoep. The pipe insert in the Zippo prevents burning the rim. I wait a few seconds till most of the lighter fluid smell is burned away then light. It seems to work okay. The weather here at the coast is not the best for varnish drying so it will still be a few days before the pipe rack is all finished up. You don't perhaps have any tips on what to do so that the room I put the pipes in don't smell like old braai?

You're most welcome Stubble. I have a looked this morning at my Zippo and it look like it will be quite easy to modify mine like that. You have me thinking here...I have nothing to lose as I don't use it for my smoking pleasure anyway. I make use of my butane lighter for my cigars and plain old matches for my pipes.

Now about that old braai smell you will have to tell me more about your cleaning and storing ritual after smoking a pipe to see if we can't sort that out for you. Remember English blends tend to "stink" some more than aromatics. ;)
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby BLES » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:46 am

Thug wrote:

Is that a corn cob?

Spot on Thug. That is a corn cob. I'm getting worried about you with all your pipe knowledge.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
BLES

Postby Thug » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:20 am

BLES wrote:
Thug wrote:

Is that a corn cob?

Spot on Thug. That is a corn cob. I'm getting worried about you with all your pipe knowledge.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thug

Postby BLES » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:33 am

Stubble wrote: I am not really fond of the aromatics.

Now, technically as most sugar based aromatics it demands slow smoke, otherways it tends to become nasty, the sugars pass from caramel to carbon, the aroma is hellish and the soothing part becomes grey ash and your pipe will be rekindled as an oven. So be careful, be slow, be patient, be kind. ;)
BLES

Postby Stubble » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:25 pm

All done. As you will see I made some space for 2 longer pipes or churchwardens on the left. Total of 10 pipes can be stored. I will get one more consol jar to fill up the bottom shelve. Getting the pipe recesses cut was a pain. Had to use a router and lots of clamps. If all else fails it will make a mean razor rack. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stubble

Postby Thug » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:06 pm

That's a lovely storage rack. Even ideal for straight razors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thug

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:26 pm

Nice one Stubble. Came out great!

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Tapatalk
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:20 am

Stubble wrote:All done. As you will see I made some space for 2 longer pipes or churchwardens on the left. Total of 10 pipes can be stored. I will get one more consol jar to fill up the bottom shelve. Getting the pipe recesses cut was a pain. Had to use a router and lots of clamps. If all else fails it will make a mean razor rack. ;)

Will you make something like this for someone else? Great stand
ShaveHavenSA

Postby BLES » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:22 am

Wow, this is a beautiful stand. :mrgreen: :thumbup: :clap: :clap:
BLES

Previous

Return to The Tobacconist's Den