CIGAR SMOKING

Discussions relating to the finest tobacco, your favorite pipe, full-bodied cigars and other accouterments.

CIGAR SMOKING

Postby BLES » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:02 am

I was a smoker since the age of 17 till I quitted at the age of 24. I smoked between one to two packets a day.
Fast forward. :arrow: Today I’m one of the biggest anti-smokers when it comes to cigarette smoking. I’m not saying all but I experienced most of the cigarette smokers I’m familiar with don’t care about any non-smoker what so ever. I can’t stand it to see a person smoking in a vehicle while having a child on board. I can’t stand it to be in a restaurant and smell cigarette smoke. I can’t stand the excuses they came up with when you confront them about their ill manners. I can honestly tell you there is nothing great about the smell and taste of cigarette smoking. People telling you cigarette smoking is “lekker” honestly don’t know the meaning of the word. With all this being said and I think I said it before in one of the threats is that cigarette smoking is giving a bad name to cigar and pipe smoking.

However being one of the biggest anti-smokers I am or I would like to think I could call myself one day a cigar and pipe connoisseur. From what I’ve been noticing on this forum is that there are not cigar connoisseurs around here. I like to smoke a pipe or cigar on special occasions. To me this is the ultimate gentleman hobby. Like with different whiskies one can also experience different flavours and tastes with cigars and tobacco. One thing I want you guys to understand is that I’m not writing this article to influence your thinking in any way.

Now one might ask what the difference between cigar and cigarette smokers is. I personally think cigars and pipe tobacco falls in the same category than whiskies, cognacs, and fine wines ect. You can’t become a connoisseur in cigarette smoking but with cigars and tobacco one can. Now one must draw a fine line here. Like with cigarette smoking you will also get people who abuse alcohol. A person abusing alcohol won’t be able to tell you after a few drinks the tastes he/she experienced. I remembered my dad used to keep a bottle of Bell’s and another cheap bottle of whiskey in his cabinet. When somebody came to visit the first two whiskies served would be from the Bell’s and the rest from the cheap bottle. Nobody ever tasted the difference. Therefor I prefer to only smoke one cigar in the evening or day to experience the taste and flavour to the fullest. Premium handmade cigars that are made by professional cigar rollers in countries such as the Dominican Republic, Honduras, and Nicaragua use different leaves having their own distinct aromas, taste and flavours. Even different soil types can affect the taste of the leaves.

Please don’t expect a SMOTD every day or week as I don’t smoke that much. It is all about the setting, mood, and company and most importantly the time you have available to savour the moment. A premium cigar can take one anything from 45 min to an hour or longer depending on the shape and size of the cigar or the bowl size of your pipe to finish.

I will write a few articles in future on shapes and sizes as most cigars are named and classified according to their size and shape, how to smoke a cigar, tips and tricks ect.

**Please keep in mind that the art of cigar smoking is to puff on a cigar without inhaling the smoke.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Re: CIGAR SMOKING

Postby HenkB » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:33 am

Looking forward to this Bles, many thanks
HenkB

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:57 am

Sounds like an interesting hobby. Keep us updated.
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:32 am

Thank-you Henk and RVT. I'll teach you guys all I know...and that is not much :lol:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby Thug » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:20 pm

Will be great to see the cigars & pipes and read your reports / feedback.

I smoked cigarettes for 25 years (and the odd pipe & cigar), gave up over 10 years ago and haven't smoked since!
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby HenkB » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:33 pm

Never had the urge to smoke. And I had the urge to smoke in my late teens/ early 20's, that was squashed when I opened up my first person that died of lung cancer. Not a pretty sight, and I said that I will never take cigarette smoke willingly into my lungs.
HenkB

Postby BLES » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:04 am

HenkB wrote:Never had the urge to smoke. And I had the urge to smoke in my late teens/ early 20's, that was squashed when I opened up my first person that died of lung cancer. Not a pretty sight, and I said that I will never take cigarette smoke willingly into my lungs.

I will also say that yes, smoking is in fact bad for you be it a pipe, cigar, or cigarette. The dangers associated with smoking are greatly diminished with pipe smoking as inhalation of the smoke is not done and it, like cigar smoking, is largely for the flavour. Yes nicotine is a part of it but certainly not the main attraction. I sometimes don’t even smoke more than 3 or 4 times a year. To me it is all about the flavour and relaxation.
Now since we're here though we probably have already made up our own decisions on this matter.
BLES

Postby BLES » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:31 pm

Being a cigarette smoker way back and thinking back I think I was quite an idiot when been offered a cigar to smoke. Remember that days (15-20 years back) cigar was not nearly as expensive as today. One would easily have offered someone a cigar without worrying about the cost should someone waste a perfect cigar. Firstly we bit of the end of the cigar because that is how it was done in the movies. Secondly I inhaled the smoke because that is what we cigarette smokers did. Thirdly we smoked the cigar in the same tempo and manner as a cigarette.
Here are some pointers I learned should one of you ever came in a situation where you are at a special occasion and the opportunity comes along where you would end off with a cigar amongst fellow guests (maybe your boss) without feeling like too much of an idiot.
1. Never inhale a cigar. Allow the smoke to sit in your mouth for a few seconds and then exhale slowly. You want to feel the sensation in your nose and not in your lungs. The flavor and aroma is meant to be enjoyed by the nose and mouth.

2. Do not hold a cigar between your index and middle finger like a cigarette, instead hold it between your index finger and thumb.

3. Do not smoke to fast as the cigar will become too hot and unpleasant. Smoking too slow again will cause the cigar to die out. I draw on a cigar anything between 30 second to a minute which works well for me.

4. Being a first time cigar smoker don’t pull off the label initially. Sometimes it may tear or damage the cigar. Initially leave it on and once you have been smoking for a while, you will notice that once it is heated, removing the label is easier.

5. And lastly for today, whatever you do don’t extinguish the cigar in the same manner as one would do with a cigarette. Just place it on the side of the ashtray and it will die out itself.
BLES

Postby Thug » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:39 pm

Popped into JJ Cale tobacconist's earlier in Sandton City to see if they had a empty cigar box for me so I could store my Straights.

Unfortunately, nothing spare amongst the hundreds of cigars on display. :?
Thug

Postby BLES » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:10 pm

Thug wrote:Popped into JJ Cale tobacconist's earlier in Sandton City to see if they had a empty cigar box for me so I could store my Straights.

Most of these boxes are made of Spanish cedar wood which is very expensive to import and secondly very rare to find in SA. I experienced that most tobacconist shops don’t want to give away these boxes. Maybe they re-use these boxes. I had to buy second-hand ones on BOB and from antique stores when I needed cedar wood for my humidor.
BLES

Postby Thug » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:37 pm

BLES wrote:
Thug wrote:Popped into JJ Cale tobacconist's earlier in Sandton City to see if they had a empty cigar box for me so I could store my Straights.

Most of these boxes are made of Spanish cedar wood which is very expensive to import and secondly very rare to find in SA. I experienced that most tobacconist shops don’t want to give away these boxes. Maybe they re-use these boxes. I had to buy second-hand ones on BOB and from antique stores when I needed cedar wood for my humidor.

Thanks for the info.
Thug

Postby HenkB » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:31 am

Thanks for the tip. Looking forward to read about how to cigar smoke...
HenkB

Postby BLES » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:19 pm

Thank you Henk. I’m glad you enjoy my cigar tips. I wasn’t expecting any followers on this topic. OK, so you want to read more on the smoking part? Before I touch on that point allow me to write a few things first on types, shapes and sizes and choosing a cigar. I think it will enhance the smoking pleasure if one has a bit of knowledge on this first. ;)
To some of you this might be boring detail but let’s get this as quick as possible out of the way.
I’ll start out with the composition of the cigar.
The “body” consists out of 3 components. They are called the “wrapper”, “binder” and “filler”. The part you can see is the outside leave which is called the “wrapper” and the “binder” leave is underneath it which contains the “filler” tobacco. The part where the ash form is called the “foot” and the part you smoke are called the “head”. The “head” is covered with a “cap”. The “cap” is a round piece of tobacco leave which is attached to the “head” to prevent the “wrapper” leave from pulling apart.
Now cigars come in many shapes and sizes and colours. It is often difficult for a new cigar smoker to get a complete understanding of how these factors affect the taste. The shape of the cigar is perhaps the hardest thing to describe since there is no set standards used between cigar manufacturers.
Now for remembering shapes there is a long and short route.
The long route to remember them is where I can explain the different shapes to you in detail and either you teach them by heart or place a poster in you man cave to use as reference. The short route is where you remember the shape written on the box to remember what you are smoking. :lol:
Let’s quickly touch on some shapes.
Cigar shapes can be classified into 2 groups. “Parejos” which are known as more of the standard type with straight sides and “Figurados” which is known for its unusual shapes.
“Parejos” is classified in 3 groups. “Coronas”, “Panatelas” and “Lonsdales”.
“Figurados” (irregular shapes) are classified with shapes such as “Belicoso” (tapered look), “Torpedo”, “Pyramid”, “Perfecto” and “Diademas”
The size of cigars is measured by length and ring gauge (cigar’s diameter). One ring is equivalent to 1/64 of an inch. Some of the most common are:
“Panatela” (6 ½ x 36),
“Robusto” (4 ½ x 50),
“Churchill” (7 ¼ x 48),
“Corona” (5 ¾ x 42),
Double Corona (6 ½ x 48)
and “Lonsdale” (6 ¾ x 42).
A cigar with a larger ring gauge will have a fuller and more complex flavor and produce more smoke compared to the smaller ring gauge cigars.
Now let’s go to choosing a cigar.
It is suggested that one smoke smaller, milder cigars in the morning, bigger cigars of medium strength in the afternoons and bigger full bodied cigars after dinner.
For beginners look for a cigar in the mild to medium bodied range. The advantage of a mild cigar for beginners is that it preps your taste buds and will allow you to discover different tastes in cigars. These mild cigars have a pleasant aroma.
If you’re choosing a cigar, you should make sure the wrapper is without course veins, cracks and discoloration, is strong yet supple, has an oily texture and smells good. Also inspect the cigar by gently squeezing it to establish if there are any hard or soft places in the body. Remember, the keyword here is gently. The face expression of the tobacconist will indicate to you if you do it wrong. :twisted:
I think with this all said we can now move on to the cutting, lightning and smoking part. But for today I call it the end for now. :wave:
BLES

Postby BLES » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:11 pm

With me being the only member around here who currently post on this sub-forum it goes without saying that I am not encouraging people to take up smoking, but rather provide information to that can be used in small talk or conversations. In support of the anti-smoking side, it is a myth that cigar smoking is less risky than cigarette smoking in relation to throat and mouth cancer. That people smoke cigars less often, perhaps due to cost, may be one reason for fewer smoking-related health problems amongst cigar smokers, despite the average handmade cigar containing as much tobacco as a packet of twenty cigarettes. Also fine cigars do not contain the many chemicals that are added to cigarettes. As with alcohol, the frequency and the extent to which an individual indulges his passion, will determine risk exposure. But even then, Sir Winston Churchill chain-smoked about quarter of a million Churchills and he lived to the ripe old age of 90. ;)
BLES

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:58 pm

Wow, thanks for sharing all the info BLES.

:thumbup:
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby HenkB » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:09 am

this is very informative and interesting Bles. I will not take up smoking, but I have not known about so many things regarding cigars etc.
Thanks for taking the time to type this up, it is appreciated. I am learning a lot
HenkB

Postby BLES » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:27 am

You are most welcome Henk :thumbup:
BLES

Postby Thug » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:17 pm

Great Info here Bles.

Thanks for the read.
Thug

Postby BLES » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:28 am

Thug wrote:Great Info here Bles.

Thanks for the read.

Glad you enjoyed :thumbup:
BLES

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:54 am

I think this video agrees with everything that Bles has told us thus far :lol: :twisted:
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Next

Return to The Tobacconist's Den