TILT PIPE RESTORATION

Discussions relating to the finest tobacco, your favorite pipe, full-bodied cigars and other accouterments.

TILT PIPE RESTORATION

Postby BLES » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:05 pm

I bought this vintage pipe for R80 which was a steal. If it was smoked it couldn't be more than 5 times by examining the inside of the bowl. The rim though got some damage but nothing one can't sort out.

The Tilt is a French made pipe and there is not much info on the web regarding this pipe. It has quite a unique shape and the thick wands are perfect for outside smoking.

This is the current state of the pipe and during the next few weeks I'll post some progress photos of the restoration for those who are interested.
102_6365.JPG

102_6366.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Re: TILT PIPE RESTORATION

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:10 pm

Yes please post pics. I like the colour
ShaveHavenSA

Postby BLES » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:49 pm

So I started with the restoration on the Tilt over the week-end. I was wrong to say the pipe wasn’t smoked too much. It seems someone reamed the pipe before to get rid of the cake. Most of the times a cake layer is also formed on the rim which seems like it was the case with this pipe. The rim was damage pretty badly as it seems the cake was removed with a sharp object leaving this marks. I wasn’t too happy with the ghost smell of the pipe as well so I also included the sweetening process to get rid of the smell.
Ok, let’s go through the stages till where I’m currently with this project.
Firstly I stripped the pipe and inspect it to determine what would be done to restore this pipe to its former glory.
In the photos we can see the damaged rim, two small holes on the bottom, a dirty stem with some clench marks and a ghost smell you obviously won’t notice.
tilt1.jpg

tilt2.jpg

tilt3.jpg

tilt4.jpg

I started by sanding the rim down by about 1 mm to get rid of the scratch marks. I used the briar powder from the sanding and mixed it with wood glue to fill up the two small holes.
I then placed a pipe cleaner inside the neck to prevent any leakage from the alcohol which was used for the sweetening process. The bowl was filled with coarse see salt and a few drops of rum was added only to moisten the salt. By leaving it for up to 48 hours it will allow to draw out all the old gunk and ghost scent. Here you can already see the salt changing its colour.
tilt6.jpg

tilt5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby BLES » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:50 am

Last night I started to polish the stem after it was lightly sanded of with 1200 sandpaper and 0000 steel wool. I couldn't see it initially but after starting with the sanding process I realized the amount of oxidization which was formed on the stem.

I then cleaned the inside of the stem with alcohol and pipe cleaners. I continued with this process until the last pipe cleaner came out completely clean. I used about 19 pipe cleaners in this process.

The salt was also removed from the bowl and lightly sanded down to get rid of the salt residue.

Tonight I will polish the bowel and then I think I can call this one done. I'll post the end result photos tomorrow.

Thanks for watching.
BLES

Postby BLES » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:18 pm

OK, I think I can call this one done. Finished it last night and I'm quite pleased with the outcome. I think I should take it out for a test drive sometime next week. :D

I see you guys don't really like pipes. :lol: :lol:
BLES

Postby HenkB » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:24 pm

Very interesting project. Restoration work on the wood is well done. Congrats
HenkB

Postby BLES » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:13 pm

Thanks Henk. I'll post some photos of the end-result later. :thumbup:
BLES

Postby BLES » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:48 am

As promised.
102_6401.JPG

102_6402.JPG

102_6403.JPG
BLES

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:30 am

Great stuff BLES. Good as new!
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:41 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Great stuff BLES. Good as new!

Thanks RVT. Like they say, the proof is in the pudding. Shall we take it for a test-drive? :lol:
BLES

Postby HenkB » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:21 am

Nice Bles! Let us know how she huffs and puffs
HenkB

Postby BLES » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:46 am

Thanks Henk. I just might do a SMOTD next week with some Peterson Killarney tobacco I still want to try out. :thumbup:
BLES

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:50 am

Looking real good Bles.
ShaveHavenSA

Postby BLES » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:03 am

ShaveHavenSA wrote:Looking real good Bles.

Dankie :D
BLES

Return to The Tobacconist's Den