RESTORING A BYFORD PIPE - (pic heavy)

Discussions relating to the finest tobacco, your favorite pipe, full-bodied cigars and other accouterments.

RESTORING A BYFORD PIPE - (pic heavy)

Postby BLES » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:50 pm

Another part of my pipe hobby is buying estate pipes and refurbishing them. My collection is not that big but it is growing slowly.
This brings me to this topic. Refurbishing my dad’s old Byford pipe. My mum gave me this pipe 5 years back when my dad passed on. The pipe was lying in a box for almost 4 years when I decided earlier this year to give it a go and try to refurbish it. Now my dad was a no nonsense guy. To him a pipe was a pipe. Finish and klaar. He hit the pipe on rocks, walls, you name it and he would probably have used it to clean the bowl from the ash. On the before photos one can clearly see the state the rim of the pipe was in. I didn’t want to take away too much character so it was quite a simple process. The stem needed the most work as I had to get rid of the oxidisation which was caused over the years leaving the stem with almost an orange colour. Another task was to get rid of the ghost smell caused by the thick cake layer which was built over the years. The filter of the pipe is also unique and took a lot of time cleaning the tar and build up from it.
The process I followed :
I scraped out the cake in the bowl.
I filled the bowl with coarse sea salt and wet the salt with a few drops of rubbing alcohol.
This was left for a few days to draw out the entire gunk.
The filter was cleaned with rubbing alcohol, qui tips and pipe cleaners.
I sanded the rim lightly to get rid of some of the marks.
The stem was polished with car polish to remove the stains
The photos range from before to after.
100_6140.JPG

100_6141.JPG

100_6144.JPG

100_6147.JPG

100_6149.JPG

100_6152.JPG

100_6154.JPG

100_6153.JPG

100_6155.JPG

100_6156.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Re: RESTORING A BYFORD PIPE - (pic heavy)

Postby BLES » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:51 pm

Another two photos of the final outcome.
100_6158.JPG

100_6159.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:24 pm

This is also an interest of mine but I have limited knowledge. I love the depth inthe wood when polished up. Great job Bles
ShaveHavenSA

Postby BLES » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:22 am

Thanks :D I don't think you would have any problems with pipe restorations by the look of the results of your straight razor restorations. :thumbup:
BLES

Return to The Tobacconist's Den