SMOTD

Discussions relating to the finest tobacco, your favorite pipe, full-bodied cigars and other accouterments.

Re: SMOTD

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:26 pm

Stubble wrote:My second attempt at a pipe restoration.

The pipe is a Peterson K Briar.

Some nice Wesley's English blend tobacco to test it with.

Nice one Stubble! Pipe looks good! :thumbup:
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:37 am

Stubble wrote:My second attempt at a pipe restoration.

The pipe is a Peterson K Briar.

Some nice Wesley's English blend tobacco to test it with.

Very nice restoration and tobacco choice Stubble :clap: :clap:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby Stubble » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:23 am

Thanks RVT and Bles. That pipe smokes like like a "Mordor volcano". It deserved a new life and I am thoroughly enjoying it.
Stubble

Postby danilo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:54 pm

Well, i have not been able to read all posts but from some I read you can get petersons tabacco, they have some with brazilian tabacco. I honest didnt know until i bought one and felt in love with. It is an aromatic - "de luxe mixture" it is great stuff. ( well blended). Cant buy in brazil but i would recomend trying.

I saw some restorations going on i would suggest a "pipe-kit" for the mind. I have made two pipes out of it and it was very interesting.

Some pics
ImageImage

Both look bad but are smokable.

Smoke of the day, before going to work.
Old italian briar I bought at a flee market for 1$ and a nice frog morton's cellar.
danilo

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:56 pm

danilo wrote:Well, i have not been able to read all posts but from some I read you can get petersons tabacco, they have some with brazilian tabacco. I honest didnt know until i bought one and felt in love with. It is an aromatic - "de luxe mixture" it is great stuff. ( well blended). Cant buy in brazil but i would recomend trying.

I saw some restorations going on i would suggest a "pipe-kit" for the mind. I have made two pipes out of it and it was very interesting.

Some pics
ImageImage

Old italian briar I bought at a flee market for 1$ and a nice frog morton's cellar.

Nice one Danillo! :thumbup:
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:38 am

danilo wrote:Well, i have not been able to read all posts but from some I read you can get petersons tabacco, they have some with brazilian tabacco. I honest didnt know until i bought one and felt in love with. It is an aromatic - "de luxe mixture" it is great stuff. ( well blended). Cant buy in brazil but i would recomend trying.

Some pics
ImageImage

Two lovely pipes you made there Danilo. They are not that bad at all! I saw one of those "kits" at a local tobacconist the other day and definitely want to try it someday but for now I still have about 6 pipes which need restoration. I have the "modern de luxe mixture" from the Peterson brand and is a very nice light in nicotine blend. The word "de luxe" actually means "light blend" in terms of tobacco terms as tobacco manufacturers are not allowed to use the word "light tobacco" on they tins and from there the word "de luxe" were used for these light Danish type of tobacco. I read some great reviews about frog morton’s cellar and still want to get some though I will have to import as it is not available here in SA. :cry:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby Stubble » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:25 pm

Good to see another pipe smoker on the forum.

I have recently restored these two pipes.

They were in an awful state when I got hold of them. I did not even take pics. I worked on them a bit. All by hand as I enjoy some distraction from everyday life.

The Dunhill I am struggling to date. Maybe someone can help. Smoked it today and it is a lovely smoker.

The Chacom is having a few dents on the briar but I thought i will let it be. Also had a small hole in the bit that I fixed. Have not smoked it yet. Nice and big bowl so I will need an evening set aside for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stubble

Postby danilo » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:45 pm

@bles tks for the tip about nicotine! That i didnt know! I think it is a light tabacco for a summer day would i say.

Frog is more of a raining day ( that is what the wearher is like this days). Itnis very light also.

I am in another forum about pipemaking, it is quite good for tips. I have carved those and it was very easy. Please do try! It is good for the mind.

@stubble,

Lovely both. This dunhill looks very good but there ia nothing better then a good smoker ;)!
danilo

Postby BLES » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:51 am

Stubble wrote:Good to see another pipe smoker on the forum.

I have recently restored these two pipes.

They were in an awful state when I got hold of them. I did not even take pics. I worked on them a bit. All by hand as I enjoy some distraction from everyday life.

The Dunhill I am struggling to date. Maybe someone can help. Smoked it today and it is a lovely smoker.

The Chacom is having a few dents on the briar but I thought i will let it be. Also had a small hole in the bit that I fixed. Have not smoked it yet. Nice and big bowl so I will need an evening set aside for it.

Some lovely restorations Stubble. Two beautiful pipes indeed. :clap: :clap:
BLES

Postby BLES » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:58 am

SMOTD

Frank Medico Prince shape with Savinneli filter
Van Erkoms Jock Tobacco

I was very unpatriotic and harsh about our South African blends and was pleasantly surprised with a Jock blend I received the other day from a friend at work. For those of you unfamiliar with a typical African blend are that it is less sweet, spicy and earthy, probably more on the stronger side of the spectrum.

P1040425.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BLES

Postby DAVEP » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:26 am

That reminds me of the gardener my parents employed when i was a youngster who used to absolutely fascinate my brother and I when he rolled his own cigs out of brown paper and BB tobacco, when we got a bit older he offered us a drag and we nearly chocked from all the coughing.

Bwahah the things you remember. :lol: :roll:
DAVEP

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:37 am

BLES wrote:SMOTD

Frank Medico Prince shape with Savinneli filter
Van Erkoms Jock Tobacco

I was very unpatriotic and harsh about our South African blends and was pleasantly surprised with a Jock blend I received the other day from a friend at work. For those of you unfamiliar with a typical African blend are that it is less sweet, spicy and earthy, probably more on the stronger side of the spectrum.

P1040425.JPG

Nice one BLES! Jock of the Bushveld, what a great old story. :D
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Thug » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:11 pm

A couple of pipes from a thread over on SRP

пиле0.jpg

отнесен1.jpg

деепбласт0.jpg
Thug

Postby danilo » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:03 am

I changed my concept of pipes since i join the pipemaker forum. The secound and third do look great but also heavy. If they where 10g less on both they would look better. The first doesnt look that heavy. I might be judging great pipes but as i said, and as a smoker i do like my pipes to rest on my mouth
danilo

Postby BLES » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:12 am

The second and third ones are beautiful pipes and if I had to choose one that second one without a doubt. :drool: :drool: For the weight issue it is not something that bothers me that much as I do not like to clench my pipes. As long as the pipe fits nicely in my hand I’m a happy chappy…
Thanks for sharing these beauties Thug. :D
BLES

Postby Stubble » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:34 am

There is some beautiful pipes out there in all shapes and sizes imaginable. From the 3 I prefer the 3d one, just on looks. But a good looking and good smoking pipe is two different things.

Just like razors, and wetshaving, it seems when starting a new hobby you go through stages of exploration and preference untill you find your go to products. With razors I am setteling down into a rhythm now but with pipes I am still changing my mind every month. Once you find your preference it is only occasionally that a new product will impress you enought to become a go to product. It keeps life interesting and distracts one from the hustle and bustle of reality. Is that not the point of hobbies after all?
Stubble

Postby danilo » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:00 pm

Stubble wrote:There is some beautiful pipes out there in all shapes and sizes imaginable. From the 3 I prefer the 3d one, just on looks. But a good looking and good smoking pipe is two different things.

Just like razors, and wetshaving, it seems when starting a new hobby you go through stages of exploration and preference untill you find your go to products. With razors I am setteling down into a rhythm now but with pipes I am still changing my mind every month. Once you find your preference it is only occasionally that a new product will impress you enought to become a go to product. It keeps life interesting and distracts one from the hustle and bustle of reality. Is that not the point of hobbies after all?

Well said.

:)
danilo

Postby Stubble » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:30 pm

I took the day off and unpacked my brain and reloaded some rest. The sea breeze does wonders to refresh the mind. It does make pipe smoking a bit tough though. The pipe is a estate pipe I gave some attention.
Stubble

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:39 am

Stubble wrote:I took the day off and unpacked my brain and reloaded some rest. The sea breeze does wonders to refresh the mind. It does make pipe smoking a bit tough though. The pipe is a estate pipe I gave some attention.

Nice one Stubble. That looks very relaxing. How's it going with the packing up?

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Tapatalk
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:44 am

Stubble wrote:I took the day off and unpacked my brain and reloaded some rest. The sea breeze does wonders to refresh the mind. It does make pipe smoking a bit tough though. The pipe is a estate pipe I gave some attention.

Nice looking pipe Stubble. The restoration looks great from this side of the screen. :thumbup: Ja, smoking with a breeze around can test a pipe smoker's patience. :oo You should try to find one of those pipe covers for when smoking in conditions like these. I think they sell for around R20 or so. ;)
BLES

Previous

Return to The Tobacconist's Den