SMOTD

Discussions relating to the finest tobacco, your favorite pipe, full-bodied cigars and other accouterments.

Re: SMOTD

Postby BLES » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:32 am

deepsouth wrote:Sheesh, you make it sound like it's quite a decent way ponder things, I'm pondering to get a pipe too - but the dear wife will beat the living tobacco out of me :lol:

Don't worry; wives will never understand how we think. :lol: :lol: My wife always says I have "geite" with all the stuff I'm collecting and doing. :think: You see, this misconception about pipe smoking was created by cigarette smokers. I always say they found a way to ruin the most perfect leave created by God. There is a huge difference in puffing a pipe for a hobby and smoking a pipe due to addiction. Only one can decide where to draw the line. ;)
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby BLES » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:46 am

Stubble wrote:Bless thank you so much. I am really grateful that you are here to guide me and tell me all the little secrets and tips. I would have been a bit lost otherwise. It is interesting how I am already looking around the internet for another pipe. It seems once a collector always a collector.

Something interisting I have noted after I started trying out pipe smoking. (As I am still trying and not reeally smoking properly yet) is how I am noticing tobacco tastes in coffee. I had some Seatle the other day and immediately told my wife I taste tobacco in the coffee. It was that obvious.

I can really suggest that if you are even the sligtest interested maybe give it a go. Life is only that long and why not try a few new things. I have no proof in studies but I really think having 2-3 bowls of pipe puffing a week will not cause a lip cancer or other nasty disease. Chances are the braaivleis we are eating will kill you faster due to hypertension and atherosclerosis. Well that is how I am justifying my few enjoyable puffs a week. :)

You are more than welcome Stubble. :thumbup: I'm glad you find my "twak" helpful although I wouldn't consider myself an expert. :lol: :lol: Be careful of PAD. It's an ugly thing once it bites. :twisted: I don't smoke that often and sometimes only have time to smoke once or twice a month but it is how and where you smoke it that counts the most. ;)
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby Chrisvo » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:51 pm

A smoke a day keeps the doctor away..... ? No, I don't think the song goes like that!
Chrisvo

Postby Stubble » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:05 pm

Chrisvo wrote:A smoke a day keeps the doctor away..... ? No, I don't think the song goes like that!

A Apple a day keeps the doctor away.
A onion a day keeps everyone away. ;)
Stubble

Postby BLES » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:29 pm

As long week-end approaches me and a few colleagues went to the hotel opposite the road this morning for some coffee and had my POTD while we were sitting outside in the garden enjoying our coffee and the morning sun on this chill winters morning.

Peterson Barrel Pipe
Peterson Connoisseur's Tobacco

P1040054.jpg

Enjoy your week-end.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BLES

Postby Thug » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:07 pm

Great looking pipe Bles.

I see that your tamper (or whatever you call it) is an old bullet. .45 ??
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby BLES » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:16 pm

Thanks Thug. This pipe my wife bought me in 1995. It is my only pipe with a p-lip stem and smoke without a filter.

Yes it is a tamper. :D I made this one from a .243 and Rooikrans wood. I find a .243 to be the perfect size for a tamper.
BLES

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:15 pm

Nice one BLES. Awesome picture too!
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:23 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Nice one BLES. Awesome picture too!

Thanks RVT. I received my Yello Bole pipe I'm very excited about. It is also an estate pipe and I started the restoring process over the week-end. I'm taking photo of the progress and will do a SBS later on for you guys. :thumbup:
BLES

Postby BLES » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:37 am

Good morning gentlemen on this lovely Friday morning. :wave:

My POTD was enjoyed in my Frank Medico Prince shape pipe I restored a while ago. The pipe was in a poor state with a broken shank when I received it. This is a lovely little pipe. I originally thought it was an Apple shape but after researching I realised it is a Prince shape.
“If the Apple's bowl is flattened a bit, the shank shortened and thinned, the stem lengthened, and often slightly bent, the Prince, or Prince of Wales shape results. Alleged to have been originally designed in the 1920s by Loewe's in London for Edward Prince of Wales, later Edward VIII, the Prince is sophisticated and graceful, reflecting both Edward's impeccable sense of style and the elegance of the period.”

The tobacco I smoked this morning was Peterson Sunset Breeze. What I like about this tobacco is it burns to a fine white ash without leaving a goopy residue. Like most more complex tobaccos, Sunset Breeze needs tending. A charring light and two or three relights usually are needed for a bowl as well as a little tamping. I think this tobacco will be more enjoyed when I have time to sit, relax and sip the bowl which usually lasts forty minutes or more. This morning I struggled to put this pipe down due to time constrain. I wouldn't smoke this blend again while at work because I simply wouldn't be able to give it the needed attention. This is a classy blend that should be reserved for the right time and place.

Enjoy your week-end. :thumbup:
P1040106.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BLES

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:40 am

BLES wrote:Good morning gentlemen on this lovely Friday morning. :wave:

My POTD was enjoyed in my Frank Medico Prince shape pipe I restored a while ago. The pipe was in a poor state with a broken shank when I received it. This is a lovely little pipe. I originally thought it was an Apple shape but after researching I realised it is a Prince shape.
“If the Apple's bowl is flattened a bit, the shank shortened and thinned, the stem lengthened, and often slightly bent, the Prince, or Prince of Wales shape results. Alleged to have been originally designed in the 1920s by Loewe's in London for Edward Prince of Wales, later Edward VIII, the Prince is sophisticated and graceful, reflecting both Edward's impeccable sense of style and the elegance of the period.”

The tobacco I smoked this morning was Peterson Sunset Breeze. What I like about this tobacco is it burns to a fine white ash without leaving a goopy residue. Like most more complex tobaccos, Sunset Breeze needs tending. A charring light and two or three relights usually are needed for a bowl as well as a little tamping. I think this tobacco will be more enjoyed when I have time to sit, relax and sip the bowl which usually lasts forty minutes or more. This morning I struggled to put this pipe down due to time constrain. I wouldn't smoke this blend again while at work because I simply wouldn't be able to give it the needed attention. This is a classy blend that should be reserved for the right time and place.

P1040106.jpg

Nice one BLES! Have a great weeekend!
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby admin » Fri Jul 15, 2016 8:20 am

Very very nice Bles :thumbup:
Master Shave | The Home of Wet Shaving Enthusiasts |Links: Image Image
admin
Site Admin

Postby BLES » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:16 pm

Thank-you RVT and Admin. :D
BLES

Postby Thug » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:40 pm

Lovely POTD write up Bles.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:13 am

P1040106.jpg

Heita that's a nice bowl. Love the rings. Is that from the root or is it age rings?
ShaveHavenSA

Postby BLES » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:19 am

ShaveHavenSA wrote:

P1040106.jpg

Heita that's a nice bowl. Love the rings. Is that from the root or is it age rings?

Thanks Deepsouth. No that's called a shell rusticated pattern which was made by the pipe maker. :thumbup:
BLES

Postby Stubble » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:08 pm

SMOTD

Savinelli 2614 rusticated
Mac Baren Vanilla Cream
Zippo
PMP tamper

In time I will up my game with the SMOTD foto's.

Next project is probably a proper pipe rest...
Last edited by Stubble on Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stubble

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:14 pm

Stubble wrote:SMOTD

Savinelli 2614 rusticated
Mac Barren Vanilla Cream
Zippo
PMP tamper

In time I will up my game with the SMOTD foto's.

Next project is probably a proper pipe rest...

Nice one Sutbble! Very cool pipe stand you have set up there :)
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Stubble » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:51 pm

SMOTD

Its Icy all over so a warm English blend and some Red Merlot to pair.

Peterson D15 Churchwarden
Wesley's Latakia Blend no 55

I made some new tampers Yesterday.
Stubble

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:05 pm

Stubble wrote:SMOTD

Its Icy all over so a warm English blend and some Red Merlot to pair.

Peterson D15 Churchwarden
Wesley's Latakia Blend no 55

I made some new tampers Yesterday.

Awesome pipe there Stubble. Does the size make a difference?
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

PreviousNext

Return to The Tobacconist's Den