SMOTD

Discussions relating to the finest tobacco, your favorite pipe, full-bodied cigars and other accouterments.

Re: SMOTD

Postby admin » Thu May 19, 2016 9:37 am

BLES wrote:It’s been a while. :oo With things settling a bit down at work after a crazy three weeks I took my cup of coffee up to the roof, which btw have a 180 degree view of Pretoria, to watch the sun come up. It’s been a while since doing a POTD so I thought I would share one with you guys today. While watching the sun come up (06:20) I enjoyed a bowl of Peterson De Luxe Mixture in my Angel Real Briar pipe. Generally I like light aromatic tobaccos (which would be called 'classic Danish'). De Luxe is one of those 'classic Danish' Peterson aromatics, which has a brilliant chocolate-roasted hazelnut-wafer tin aroma, with loads of Black Cavendish - no "broken flakes" but a well-conditioned ribbon mix.

Next time I’ll take my camera with to take some photos for you guys as the view with the sun breaking the skyline was spectacular. While puffing my pipe I thought it would actually be a great idea to create a topic on the forum called “A photo you took today” where one can post any photo you’ve taken that day to share with us. What do you think? :think:

With me on my desk I have my jar of tobacco open to smell and try to explain to you the aroma I picks up in this one. I smell definitely honey, vanilla, a nutty flavour like walnut or hazelnut, something fruity almost like a plum and then a subtle hint of whiskey. The honey is the most pre-eminent additive but you still get a nice "hint" of the others in it.

This is my view on the smoke itself. It has a very low nicotine level, at least for me as ex-cigarette smoker. No tongue-bite, but some condensation. I find it to be an optimal morning-coffee smoke, as it is very decent, quite sweet, and leaves a pleasant room note not that I smoke indoors. It burns down perfectly, keeps the walnut-honey taste throughout the whole bowl. Not much punch here, this is a soft, round, creamy, warm and sweet-fragrant smoking experience which I would recommend to smokers who don't want to pay much attention to the smoking process, but enjoy a bowl with a cup of coffee and a newspaper or watching the sun come up like I was doing this morning. :D

I give it 4 out of 5 points!

Excellent idea BLES, can I suggest you start it up in The Stoep area whereby I will sticky it :thumbup:

Also, very nice post, there is just something about watching a sunrise and the beginning of a brand new day. I do believe it gives one the time to mentally prepare for the day ahead 8-)
Master Shave | The Home of Wet Shaving Enthusiasts |Links: Image Image
admin
Site Admin

Postby BLES » Thu May 19, 2016 9:41 am

Thanks Admin. Yes it does. :D I just had to get onto the roof today after a hectic few days to get some balance and fine-tuning for the day.
I’ll start the topic for the photo of the day. :thumbup:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby BLES » Fri May 20, 2016 10:58 am

Things slowed down a bit at work today so I had my second POTD in one week. :shock: I think I should put the pipes back in storage for a while and start running again from tomorrow. :oo

This morning I had some Peterson of Dublin Sweet Killarney in my French Tilt pipe. On the tin it says “A unique mixture of Virginia Burley, Maryland and Black Cavendish, topped with a cream caramel flavour and blended with hand-rubbed Virginia Flake.” The tin of tobacco is now aged for two years in my cellar.

Ok, same as yesterday I have the tin here with me on my desk. The tin note when opened is caramel and soft fruit with an apricot background. A very strong sweet caramel scent is predominant.

This is my view on the smoke itself. The mixed blend fills well and stays well lit even with a very slow draw which in my opinion is extremely important. The taste is soft and creamy with just a hint of fruit with the Virginias coming through stronger but not overwhelmingly at the end for a clean finish. No tongue bite at all even when in a hotter pipe and the taste is consistent throughout the whole bowl.

The room-note is soft and creamy too with a subtle smack of apricots. It burns quite clean with a medium light ash and fairly little waste. Quite simply an excellent all day blend the cool burning burly well complimented by the Virginia flake and just the right amount of Cavendish to get the casing taste without the usual gurgling tongue biting side effects.

Although I said it is an excellent all day blend I think this one would be great for after desert on a Sunday afternoon sitting in the winter sun on your stoep. :D

Thanks for reading my twak. :shifty:
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby Stubble » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:29 am

Good day Bles.

I am considering starting this interesting hobby of pipe smoking. It fits in with everything I enjoy in a hobby. Interisting beautiful tools, a time of contemplation and a sensory stimulating experience.

I have started looking around on the web for beginner advice and what tools to start with.

Most people suggest starting with a corncob pipe and some aromatic blends.

There is a small Wesleys in the town I live in and I am planning to go have a look at their stock soon.

Will you please be so kind as to give me your suggestions regarding a first pipe and a basic beginner tabaco in context of SA availability. I am sure my local antique shop has a few old pipes that I could buy but it seems a bit of a chalanging prospect for me as a uninformed hobbiest.
Stubble

Postby BLES » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:01 am

I once read a piece on the US landmark 1964 surgeon general report actually noted that moderate pipe smokers (1-3 bowls per day) live an average of 2 years longer than non-smokers. Actually what the surgeon general said was that we die (if we don't inhale) like a couple years after non-smokers do because of the relaxation that comes with pipe-smoking. It's apparently good for the soul, and our health.

With my limited experience and referring to the above statement I actually see pipe smoking as a hobby to fall in the same category as meditation and yoga as I find when puffing it clears my mind and I also don’t experience much stress at all.

In all seriousness, there are some pretty graphic photos on the internet of what lip, tongue, mouth, and throat cancer look like. They are disgusting enough to remind me that this is a hobby to do in moderation (at least IMHO).

Stubble, I would suggest on starting out with a new pipe instead of an estate pipe as estate pipes entitle a lot of work in the beginning and it is not cleaned and restored correctly it can leave a bad taste in your mouth. With a new pipe you can also experience some fun in building the cake layer. I would suggest for a relative good and not too expensive beginner pipe the brand “Angelo”. I’m sure you tobacconist will stock them as they are freely available at most tobacconists I’ve visited. Their made of real briar and they retail for around R300 to R400 which is quite cheap comparing to Peterson, Dunhiil and Savinelli pipes which range between anything from R1200 to R5000 and that’s not where it stops. That’s mainly the reason we as Pipe and Tobacco hobbyists seek estate pipes as you can pick up some good brands for a relative fair price.

You will also need a tamper and pipe cleaners and if the tobacconist is a Wesley’s franchise as you’ve stated you’re in for a good start. Wesley’s have some very good house blends. They are known for developing and refining their blends for over 30 years now. The Wesley’s No 43 Old gold is one of my favourites and it provides a lovely cool smoke. I would suggest instead of buying one tobacco rather ask them for a tasting pack. In total you will have 50g of tobacco but will be able to experiment and find something for your taste and relaxation. I would suggest a tasting pack including No 1 (Dutch type blend),No 15 (Three quarter flake), No 25 (black cherry), No 43 (old gold) and lastly No 55 (Latakia) which is a typical English blend to give you an idea of an non aromatic tobacco.

Ones you’ve obtained a pipe, pipe cleaners, a tamper, tobacco and some matches I’ll be more than happy to guide you through the rest of this tranquil journey of pipe smoking. :D

Bles
BLES

Postby deepsouth » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:59 am

Hier kom n ding !!
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby Stubble » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:07 am

Thanks Bles.

I am having a off day on Friday and am going to go have a look what is on offer.
Stubble

Postby BLES » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:34 pm

Stubble wrote:Thanks Bles.

I am having a off day on Friday and am going to go have a look what is on offer.

You are most welcome. Ask the tobacconist as well for advice. Please keep us updated. ;)
BLES

Postby BLES » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:35 pm

deepsouth wrote:Hier kom n ding !!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
BLES

Postby Stubble » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:02 pm

Orait so the Shop had about 20 pipes to choose from. Some more expensive Savinelli's some Lorenzo and mostly some Angelo pipes. All kinds of shapes and sizes.

The one I picked is a nr 302 Angelo. I liked the wood patern, colour and shape. For what its worth. I have no experience so looks is what I went with.

Got some filters and other miscellaneous items.

The twakies. They only had some of the tabaco Bles suggested. I bought 5 10g samples of Wesley's blend.
No 1 Rhodesian blend
No 25 Black Cherry
No 43 Old Gold
No 47 Vanilla Gold
No 55 Latakia

I will give it a try later today and see how it goes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stubble

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:05 pm

Stubble wrote:Orait so the Shop had about 20 pipes to choose from. Some more expensive Savinelli's some Lorenzo and mostly some Angelo pipes. All kinds of shapes and sizes.

The one I picked is a nr 302 Angelo. I liked the wood patern, colour and shape. For what its worth. I have no experience so looks is what I went with.

The twakies. They only had some of the tabaco Bles suggested. I bought 5 10g samples of Wesley's blend.
No 1 Rhodesian blend
No 25 Black Cherry
No 43 Old Gold
No 47 Vanilla Gold
No 55 Latakia

Cool! Good luck with the pipe smoking BLES!
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Stubble » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:49 pm

So I have tried the Vanilla gold and Black Cherry. Its an interesting experience and I must say, very relaxing. I think I will have a smoke over weekends that I am not working or when I am on holiday somewere. I can just picture myself around a campfire in the Kalahari having a puff. The first time around I used about ten matches 2d time went a lot easier. We are going to the Kruger next week and will give the other blends a try there.
Stubble

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:17 pm

Stubble wrote:So I have tried the Vanilla gold and Black Cherry. Its an interesting experience and I must say, very relaxing. I think I will have a smoke over weekends that I am not working or when I am on holiday somewere. I can just picture myself around a campfire in the Kalahari having a puff. The first time around I used about ten matches 2d time went a lot easier. We are going to the Kruger next week and will give the other blends a try there.

Sounds like an interesting hobby there Stubble! I see you are off to a good start. :thumbup:
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Thug » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:36 pm

That's some brilliant advice Bles to a newbie pipe smoker. You even almost got me contemplating buying a pipe. :lol: :lol:

Congrats on your new additions Stubble, I'm sure you'll have many happy years of pipe smoking.
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby BLES » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:52 pm

Stubble wrote:Orait so the Shop had about 20 pipes to choose from. Some more expensive Savinelli's some Lorenzo and mostly some Angelo pipes. All kinds of shapes and sizes.

No 1 Rhodesian blend
No 25 Black Cherry
No 43 Old Gold
No 47 Vanilla Gold
No 55 Latakia

I’m impressed Stubble and congrats. :clap: :clap: It is a great looking pipe. :thumbup: Have a look out for the Angelo filters as they are exactly the same as the Big Ben filters but much cheaper in price. The Savinelli is a balsa wood filter imported from Italy but they do exactly the same as the Big Ben/Angelo filters so therefor I wouldn’t bother to go for them as they are much more expensive. In all my 9mm pipes I use the Big Ben filters and only use the Savinelli 6mm filters for my 6mm pipes only because you don’t get the Big Ben/Angelo in 6 mm but only in 9mm. Some pipes like my Peterson Barrel, Tilt and Byford pies doesn’t make use of filters which is cheaper in the long run but will take more effort when cleaning these pipes.

Pipe smoking is not only about the ritual of packing and smoking your pipe but also about choosing the location and correct time for smoking it. I notice this is something people neglect to do. Now why do I say one must choose the correct location and time for smoking your pipe? As you continue with pipe smoking and your collection of pipes start to grow you will notice the shapes and sizes of the bowls differ from each other. A smaller bowl means you need less time to consume the tobacco and vice versa for larger bowl. I would say anything from 30 minutes to an hour is a decent time to set out for smoking your pipe. You don’t want to light you pipe and be called every 5 minutes by someone. :oo You want to savour the moment and enjoy your pipe for the full duration. :D This is why the location is a big factor as you want to sit and relax while puffing on the pipe. Go to a park and sit under a tree, on your stoep on your favourite chair or like you suggested, around the campfire is some ideal places I can think of to smoke a pipe.

Now that you have your pipe I suggest that you only pack your pipe a 3rd of the bowl size for at least your first 10smokes and then work it up till the full Monty. The reason for this is new pipe smokers start off with a full bowl of tobacco but seldom finish up the bowl. This only allows the cake to build up at the top of the bowl. To start off as I suggested the entire bowl will start to build an even cake layer from top to bottom.
When I pack my pipe I prefer to load a third of the bowl pressing the tobacco down the same as one would grip when shacking a child’s hand. Then I load the second third and press it down like one would grip a woman’s hand when you shake it. The final 3rd I’ll press down like one would shake a man’s hand. By doing this the tobacco will be pressed down evenly from the top to the bottom of the bowl. I hope this makes sense? :oo :lol: :lol: I then take my thumb and while lightly pressing on top of the tobacco I turn the bowl in a circle rotation for about 6 or 7 turns. Then I light the tobacco with a match. It is important to light the tobacco evenly. Then tamp down lightly with you tamper. The pipe will die and this is what one calls the “first light” or “char light”. Now you can re-light the tobacco and sit back and enjoy. I find that puffing every 30 seconds keep the pipe lit throughout the smoking process and keep the smoke nice and cool. Pipe smoking is all about trial and error. It took me some time to perfect the art of smoking but ones you get the hang of it you’ll find it’s like riding a bike.

When you’re finished smoking your pipe let it cool down before removing the tobacco and never remove the stem when the pipe is still hot as this will damage your pipe. It is also important not to scrape out the pipe as it can damage the cake layer process. That’s enough for today. Enjoy that new pipe of yours. :thumbup:

The weather is wet and cold here in Pretoria so I’m planning of having a bowl myself tonight. I think Peterson Connoisseurs tobacco with a single malt whiskey will do for tonight. I’m still pondering on what Pipe I’ll use. There is this newly restored Frank Medico Standard I must still break in… :think:
BLES

Postby BLES » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:53 pm

Thug wrote:That's some brilliant advice Bles to a newbie pipe smoker. You even almost got me contemplating buying a pipe. :lol: :lol:

Congrats on your new additions Stubble, I'm sure you'll have many happy years of pipe smoking.

Thanks Thug. Now we don't want that to happen... :lol: :lol: :lol:
BLES

Postby Thug » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:22 pm

Some more great advice Bles.

I'm learning a lot about the art of pipes and pipe smoking. :thumbup:
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
Thug

Postby deepsouth » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:48 pm

Sheesh, you make it sound like it's quite a decent way ponder things, I'm pondering to get a pipe too - but the dear wife will beat the living tobacco out of me :lol:
A man well lathered is half shaved
deepsouth

Postby Stubble » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:36 pm

Bless thank you so much. I am really grateful that you are here to guide me and tell me all the little secrets and tips. I would have been a bit lost otherwise. It is interesting how I am already looking around the internet for another pipe. It seems once a collector always a collector.

Something interisting I have noted after I started trying out pipe smoking. (As I am still trying and not reeally smoking properly yet) is how I am noticing tobacco tastes in coffee. I had some Seatle the other day and immediately told my wife I taste tobacco in the coffee. It was that obvious.

I can really suggest that if you are even the sligtest interested maybe give it a go. Life is only that long and why not try a few new things. I have no proof in studies but I really think having 2-3 bowls of pipe puffing a week will not cause a lip cancer or other nasty disease. Chances are the braaivleis we are eating will kill you faster due to hypertension and atherosclerosis. Well that is how I am justifying my few enjoyable puffs a week. :)
Stubble

Postby BLES » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:21 am

Thug wrote:Some more great advice Bles.

I'm learning a lot about the art of pipes and pipe smoking. :thumbup:

Thanks Thug. I'm glad you find my "twak" meaningful... :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
BLES

PreviousNext

Return to The Tobacconist's Den