SMOTD

Discussions relating to the finest tobacco, your favorite pipe, full-bodied cigars and other accouterments.

SMOTD

Postby BLES » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:09 pm

I see a whole room of emptiness in this sub-forum. Let me open this one. :D

I only puff on special occasions and being on study leave for a few days having some time on hand it was time to light up my pipe.

PIPE: Peterson Barrel (This was my first pipe my wife gave me for my birthday in 1996 while I was still a smoker. I can still remember the first tobacco smoked in this pipe was Borkum Riff Original)
TOBACCO: Peterson Sherlock Holmes (It is a blend of Virginia and burley tobacco with a sweet aroma)
ROOM NOTE: Between tolerant and pleasant
PAIRED WITH: Furioso Espresso
I only smoked a half bowl at a time as this pipe was refurbished a while back and I need to build up a cake layer inside the bowl.

*Tip – Never remove the stem of the pipe while it is still hot. It will cause the stem to have fitting problems in future.
smotd.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Re: SMOTD

Postby admin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:42 pm

Very nice write up BLES, and the image composition is just perfect :thumbup:

Being the first post, would you mind if we use your image on 'The Tabacconist's Den' forum icon holder?
Master Shave | The Home of Wet Shaving Enthusiasts |Links: Image Image
admin
Site Admin

Postby BLES » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:54 pm

admin wrote:Very nice write up BLES, and the image composition is just perfect :thumbup:

Being the first post, would you mind if we use your image on 'The Tabacconist's Den' forum icon holder?

Not at all. You are most welcome.
“I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” – Albert Einstein
BLES

Postby admin » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:00 pm

Thank-you;

BLES Pipe.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
admin
Site Admin

Postby BLES » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:07 pm

Kyk nou net daar :lol: :thumbup:
BLES

Postby BLES » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:04 am

SMOTD:
Cigar: Villiger Premium No 7
Flame: Butane lighter
Paired with: Espresso made in Bialletti Mocca Express
The Villigar cigars are very nice for beginners being that it is a medium bodied cigar and one doesn’t have to worry about cutting the head as it is already pre-cut (v- shape). Price wise one can find them for around R70 each.
BLES

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:11 am

BLES wrote:SMOTD:
The Villigar cigars are very nice for beginners being that it is a medium bodied cigar and one doesn’t have to worry about cutting the head as it is already pre-cut (v- shape). Price wise one can find them for around R70 each.

Nice post BLES. BTW: Where do those Viliger cigars come from? Are any cigars made locally?
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby ShaveHavenSA » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:03 am

BLES wrote:I see a whole room of emptiness in this sub-forum. Let me open this one. :D

I only puff on special occasions and being on study leave for a few days having some time on hand it was time to light up my pipe.

PIPE: Peterson Barrel (This was my first pipe my wife gave me for my birthday in 1996 while I was still a smoker. I can still remember the first tobacco smoked in this pipe was Borkum Riff Original)
TOBACCO: Peterson Sherlock Holmes (It is a blend of Virginia and burley tobacco with a sweet aroma)
I only smoked a half bowl at a time as this pipe was refurbished a while back and I need to build up a cake layer inside the bowl.

*Tip – Never remove the stem of the pipe while it is still hot. It will cause the stem to have fitting problems in future.
smotd.jpg

Great looking pipe
ShaveHavenSA

Postby BLES » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:37 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:

Nice post BLES. BTW: Where do those Viliger cigars come from? Are any cigars made locally?

Thanks RVT. Villigers are made in Switzerland. The one I smoked was a premium machine rolled one. They also produces premium hand roll ones which would obvious be more expensive. To be honest I never saw a hand rolled Villiger sold in SA. :think: No, we don’t produce cigars unless someone is rolling his/her own cigars in SA I’m not aware off. :D
BLES

Postby BLES » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:39 am

ShaveHavenSA wrote:
BLES wrote:I see a whole room of emptiness in this sub-forum. Let me open this one. :D

smotd.jpg

Great looking pipe

Thanks. This pipe has a lot of sentimental value to me. :thumbup:
BLES

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:32 am

BLES wrote:

Thanks RVT. Villigers are made in Switzerland. The one I smoked was a premium machine rolled one. They also produces premium hand roll ones which would obvious be more expensive. To be honest I never saw a hand rolled Villiger sold in SA. :think: No, we don’t produce cigars unless someone is rolling his/her own cigars in SA I’m not aware off. :D

Thanks for the info BLES. I see you have a deep knowledge of the finer points of smoking. BTW. Just read an article that the bulk of illicit cigarettes are manufactured here in SA. :shock:
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby Thug » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:44 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Good morning all! Shave of the day: Robeson ShurEdge straight razor, Semogue 1800 brush, Proraso Blue cream, real Shaving Co. Aftershave.

Excellent shave! Smooth and clean. No nicks, cuts or irritation.

There is a long learning curve with a straight razor, but once your technique improves, it is highly enjoyable.

Also, wishing all who are celebrating a happy Diwali. Stay safe and keep on shaving! (Be careful with the crackers! :thumbup: ).

Wrong thread :D

But great shave anyway :lol:
Thug

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:46 am

Oops! :oo Sorry about that. :)
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby admin » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:02 am

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Oops! :oo Sorry about that. :)

Fixed :thumbup:
admin
Site Admin

Postby BLES » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:39 am

I almost got excited about my new puffer friends :lol: :lol:
BLES

Postby BLES » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:42 am

Thanks for the info BLES. I see you have a deep knowledge of the finer points of smoking. BTW. Just read an article that the bulk of illicit cigarettes are manufactured here in SA. :shock:

No not really RVT. I believe in everything I does there must be an element of education involved. As with everything else in life it is only a matter of broadening your knowledge on a subject to get the best results out of something. I’ve learned that to enjoy the best thing in life doesn’t necessarily mean it should be the most expensive. It helps to have money but then again, the most expensive stuff is not always the best.
I think something that would interest you is that cigar smoking became a fashion statement in the late 90’s amongst yuppies. So much so that the cigar market in SA climbed from 17 million Rand to 32 million Rand in 3 years (1996-1999). This cause a shock in 1999 when Trevor Manual announced in his budget statement a tax increase of 3 669% on cigars. This is why an imported cigar can cost between anything from R80 to R700 or more for a single cigar today. The cheaper ones would most probably be machine rolled whereas hand-rolled cigars are the most favoured amongst cigar connoisseurs which would be far more expensive. :oo
BLES

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:18 pm

BLES wrote:

No not really RVT. I believe in everything I does there must be an element of education involved. As with everything else in life it is only a matter of broadening your knowledge on a subject to get the best results out of something. I’ve learned that to enjoy the best thing in life doesn’t necessarily mean it should be the most expensive. It helps to have money but then again, the most expensive stuff is not always the best.
I think something that would interest you is that cigar smoking became a fashion statement in the late 90’s amongst yuppies. So much so that the cigar market in SA climbed from 17 million Rand to 32 million Rand in 3 years (1996-1999). This cause a shock in 1999 when Trevor Manual announced in his budget statement a tax increase of 3 669% on cigars. This is why an imported cigar can cost between anything from R80 to R700 or more for a single cigar today. The cheaper ones would most probably be machine rolled whereas hand-rolled cigars are the most favoured amongst cigar connoisseurs which would be far more expensive. :oo

Poltiicians always spoiling the fun... :twisted:
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Thu May 19, 2016 9:15 am

It’s been a while. :oo With things settling a bit down at work after a crazy three weeks I took my cup of coffee up to the roof, which btw have a 180 degree view of Pretoria, to watch the sun come up. It’s been a while since doing a POTD so I thought I would share one with you guys today. While watching the sun come up (06:20) I enjoyed a bowl of Peterson De Luxe Mixture in my Angel Real Briar pipe. Generally I like light aromatic tobaccos (which would be called 'classic Danish'). De Luxe is one of those 'classic Danish' Peterson aromatics, which has a brilliant chocolate-roasted hazelnut-wafer tin aroma, with loads of Black Cavendish - no "broken flakes" but a well-conditioned ribbon mix.

Next time I’ll take my camera with to take some photos for you guys as the view with the sun breaking the skyline was spectacular. While puffing my pipe I thought it would actually be a great idea to create a topic on the forum called “A photo you took today” where one can post any photo you’ve taken that day to share with us. What do you think? :think:

With me on my desk I have my jar of tobacco open to smell and try to explain to you the aroma I picks up in this one. I smell definitely honey, vanilla, a nutty flavour like walnut or hazelnut, something fruity almost like a plum and then a subtle hint of whiskey. The honey is the most pre-eminent additive but you still get a nice "hint" of the others in it.

This is my view on the smoke itself. It has a very low nicotine level, at least for me as ex-cigarette smoker. No tongue-bite, but some condensation. I find it to be an optimal morning-coffee smoke, as it is very decent, quite sweet, and leaves a pleasant room note not that I smoke indoors. It burns down perfectly, keeps the walnut-honey taste throughout the whole bowl. Not much punch here, this is a soft, round, creamy, warm and sweet-fragrant smoking experience which I would recommend to smokers who don't want to pay much attention to the smoking process, but enjoy a bowl with a cup of coffee and a newspaper or watching the sun come up like I was doing this morning. :D

I give it 4 out of 5 points!
BLES

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Thu May 19, 2016 9:20 am

BLES wrote:It’s been a while. :oo With things settling a bit down at work after a crazy three weeks I took my cup of coffee up to the roof, which btw have a 180 degree view of Pretoria, to watch the sun come up. It’s been a while since doing a POTD so I thought I would share one with you guys today. While watching the sun come up (06:20) I enjoyed a bowl of Peterson De Luxe Mixture in my Angel Real Briar pipe. Generally I like light aromatic tobaccos (which would be called 'classic Danish'). De Luxe is one of those 'classic Danish' Peterson aromatics, which has a brilliant chocolate-roasted hazelnut-wafer tin aroma, with loads of Black Cavendish - no "broken flakes" but a well-conditioned ribbon mix.

Next time I’ll take my camera with to take some photos for you guys as the view with the sun breaking the skyline was spectacular. While puffing my pipe I thought it would actually be a great idea to create a topic on the forum called “A photo you took today” where one can post any photo you’ve taken that day to share with us. What do you think? :think:

With me on my desk I have my jar of tobacco open to smell and try to explain to you the aroma I picks up in this one. I smell definitely honey, vanilla, a nutty flavour like walnut or hazelnut, something fruity almost like a plum and then a subtle hint of whiskey. The honey is the most pre-eminent additive but you still get a nice "hint" of the others in it.

This is my view on the smoke itself. It has a very low nicotine level, at least for me as ex-cigarette smoker. No tongue-bite, but some condensation. I find it to be an optimal morning-coffee smoke, as it is very decent, quite sweet, and leaves a pleasant room note not that I smoke indoors. It burns down perfectly, keeps the walnut-honey taste throughout the whole bowl. Not much punch here, this is a soft, round, creamy, warm and sweet-fragrant smoking experience which I would recommend to smokers who don't want to pay much attention to the smoking process, but enjoy a bowl with a cup of coffee and a newspaper or watching the sun come up like I was doing this morning. :D

Nice one BLES. Very interesting write-up. Sounds like a good view you have there. I like the picture of the day idea :thumbup:
This is how I shave.

RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor

Postby BLES » Thu May 19, 2016 9:26 am

BLES wrote:It’s been a while. :oo With things settling a bit down at work after a crazy three weeks I took my cup of coffee up to the roof, which btw have a 180 degree view of Pretoria, to watch the sun come up. It’s been a while since doing a POTD so I thought I would share one with you guys today. While watching the sun come up (06:20) I enjoyed a bowl of Peterson De Luxe Mixture in my Angel Real Briar pipe. Generally I like light aromatic tobaccos (which would be called 'classic Danish'). De Luxe is one of those 'classic Danish' Peterson aromatics, which has a brilliant chocolate-roasted hazelnut-wafer tin aroma, with loads of Black Cavendish - no "broken flakes" but a well-conditioned ribbon mix.

Nice one BLES. Very interesting write-up. Sounds like a good view you have there. I like the picture of the day idea :thumbup:

Thanks RVT....then we should do it! :D
BLES

Next

Return to The Tobacconist's Den