Kitchen Knives

The place for the palate perfectionist. We talk about the finest wines, the best food, and everything in-between. We're also not above doing a wine or restaurant review either! Find out the best pairings for Wine and cigars, including what to serve with specific meals, cheese pairings, and even which chocolate tastes best with a fine glass of Brandy. Don't forget about those tasty braai tips & tricks!

Kitchen Knives

Postby ShavingB » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:04 am

I have had a passion for knives since I was about 10 years old, always playing with pocket knives, throwing knives and even split my toe in half kicking a ninja star (my mother was not impressed with that one).

My passion for knives came from my father who always loved a good knife. I'm sad I did not get to share this passion of shaving with him. He would have loved it.

So my father insisted on decent kitchen knives and for as long as I can remember we have used Wusthof Classic Kitchen knives made in Germany, these knives are durable and will last anyone a life time. They have a Rockwell of about 58 which is a perfect balance for holding a Edge while preventing chipping.

A few years ago, my mother bought me a Shun Utility knife as a gift. A Shun Premier made in Japan with a Rockwell of approximately 61. From this day my eyes opened as to what a sharp knife really is. This little guy can slice a Cherry Tomato sideways on a board without holding it. This is where my passion began for Japanese Blacksmiths and my appreciation for the work that goes into these knives. Since then my collection of Japanese Chef knives has grown "slightly".

There is a downfall to Japanese knives though and that is care, do not cut frozen foods, bone and do not soak the wooden handles or anything of the like.

Take care of these knives and they will grace you with the pleasure of excellent sharpness and edge retention.

Shun Premier 150mm Utility VG10, scoring pork belly crackling is like slicing butter with this knife.
Image
Image

Shun Premier and Global Sai Carving Knife.
The Global is about 57 Rockwell and is a general consumer Japanese knife. I have found the edge retention on this to be rather disappointing and would recommend a Wusthof. However the Global is perfect for carving meat and I use it on the spit over a fire which is what is great about the metal handle.
Image

Miyabi Artisan Bread Knife SG2 about 63 Rockwell, this bread knife is a stunner.
Image

My moms Wusthof classic on the left next to my Wusthof Icon on the right. The icon has a wooden handle and a smaller bolster (easier to sharpen). This is great for frozen foods and meat with bones etc.
Image

Miyabi Birchwood 180mm Santoku 5000 MCD with a Rockwell of 63. This is a serious performer with vegetables.
Image

Gihei 180mm Gyuto Hap 40 up to 66 Rockwell, my word did this Knife take a sharp edge. However a knife like this can chip easily and needs to be used with care ok a wooden chopping board.
Image

Shibata Kotetsu 180mm Bunka SG2 63 Rockwell
And
Yu Kurosaki Fujin 210mm Gyuto VG10 61 Rockwell
Image

Most of these Knife have a core steel which is the main material with a clad of a stainless steel for rust and corrosion prevention.

The Japanese forge their knives, through this process they make the grain in the metal smaller and more uniform, this allows for a sharper and more refined / smoother edge.

So this is where my passion and appreciation has come from for Japanese Straight Razors. With the Japanese forging their razors and many others grinding from blanks, there is a distinct difference in the craftsmanship gone into the different razors. This is just my thoughts :)
Last edited by ShavingB on Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
ShavingB
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 6:12 pm
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Kitchen Knives

Postby Thug » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:20 am

Great looking knives ShavingB.

Must admit, I've never really been interested in kitchen knives or pocket knives for that matter.The closest though is after getting married, we bought a Victorinox cutlery set, which the knives, to this day, are still razor sharp (26 years old).

I'm more interested though in your Shaptons. :lol:

Do you use them for your Straights?
Support Movember by clicking on this link: https://mobro.co/tonyhuglin?mc=1
User avatar
Thug
 
Posts: 4110
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:09 pm
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Kitchen Knives

Postby admin » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:22 am

Topic move by user: Admin
Master Shave | The Home of Wet Shaving Enthusiasts |Links: Image Image
User avatar
admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:53 pm
Location: Johannesburg

Re: Kitchen Knives

Postby ShavingB » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:44 am

admin wrote:Topic move by user: Admin


Thank you Admin.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
ShavingB
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 6:12 pm
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Kitchen Knives

Postby ShavingB » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:51 am

Thug wrote:Great looking knives ShavingB.

Must admit, I've never really been interested in kitchen knives or pocket knives for that matter.The closest though is after getting married, we bought a Victorinox cutlery set, which the knives, to this day, are still razor sharp (26 years old).

I'm more interested though in your Shaptons. :lol:

Do you use them for your Straights?


Thank You Thug

Victorinox make some excellent knives as well. In fact a lot of professional kitchens use their chef knifes partly because of their durability.

The Shaptons.. haha I love these things. Yes I do use them on the straights however I skip the 8k and I bought a 10k for the razors. The 8k is the HC where as the others are all the HR range. They are very hard, aggressive and efficient. Very uniform, you know what you getting when you go to these stones. I have a Wusthof and a Shun stone but I was getting very irritated on these stones, sometimes I would go backwards and I realized it's the Wusthof stone, the Shun stone is actually great but wears much quicker than the Shaptons.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
ShavingB
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 6:12 pm
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Kitchen Knives

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:54 am

Very nice ShavingB!
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.


http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
User avatar
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor
 
Posts: 9598
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Durban

Re: Kitchen Knives

Postby ShavingB » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:46 pm

RiverValleyTrading wrote:Very nice ShavingB!


Thank You RVT :)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
ShavingB
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 6:12 pm
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Kitchen Knives

Postby JHBBlade » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:37 am

Great post ShavingB. Very helpful to know what your experience has been with German and Japanese knives.

Shaving has opened my eyes to the potential of better kitchen knives.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
JHBBlade
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:26 am

Re: Kitchen Knives

Postby deepsouth » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:30 am

Beautifull knives! I have a few Icel knives (not fancy, but fit for purpose) that I use when deboning etc. I do have to replace some cutlery and am leaning towards the Laguiole - like the look.
A man well lathered is half shaved
User avatar
deepsouth
 
Posts: 2849
Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:08 pm

Re: Kitchen Knives

Postby ShavingB » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:55 am

JHBBlade wrote:Great post ShavingB. Very helpful to know what your experience has been with German and Japanese knives.

Shaving has opened my eyes to the potential of better kitchen knives.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk


Thank you JHBBlade, the German knives really are great and Durable, especially if cutting something hard but if you want to think WOW when cutting into vegetables, you definitely need a Japanese kitchen knife.

They do sell Shun locally however they can be a bit pricey. Sharp Edge Sharp Shooter sell some Shun as well and Fine and Fabulous. I think there is also a fish place in Greenstone that does Shun.
For Wusthof, Adams discount center or Yuppie Chef online are good options.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
ShavingB
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 6:12 pm
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Kitchen Knives

Postby ShavingB » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:01 am

deepsouth wrote:Beautifull knives! I have a few Icel knives (not fancy, but fit for purpose) that I use when deboning etc. I do have to replace some cutlery and am leaning towards the Laguiole - like the look.


Thank you deepsouth :)

The Laguiole are very unique, good looking knives.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
ShavingB
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 6:12 pm
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Kitchen Knives

Postby Mikaar » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:17 pm

ShavingB wrote:I have had a passion for knives since I was about 10 years old, always playing with pocket knives, throwing knives and even split my toe in half kicking a ninja star (my mother was not impressed with that one).

My passion for knives came from my father who always loved a good knife. I'm sad I did not get to share this passion of shaving with him. He would have loved it.

So my father insisted on decent kitchen knives and for as long as I can remember we have used Wusthof Classic Kitchen knives made in Germany, these knives are durable and will last anyone a life time. They have a Rockwell of about 58 which is a perfect balance for holding a Edge while preventing chipping.

A few years ago, my mother bought me a Shun Utility knife as a gift. A Shun Premier made in Japan with a Rockwell of approximately 61. From this day my eyes opened as to what a sharp knife really is. This little guy can slice a Cherry Tomato sideways on a board without holding it. This is where my passion began for Japanese Blacksmiths and my appreciation for the work that goes into these knives. Since then my collection of Japanese Chef knives has grown "slightly".

There is a downfall to Japanese knives though and that is care, do not cut frozen foods, bone and do not soak the wooden handles or anything of the like.

Take care of these knives and they will grace you with the pleasure of excellent sharpness and edge retention.

Shun Premier 150mm Utility VG10, scoring pork belly crackling is like slicing butter with this knife.
Image
Image

Shun Premier and Global Sai Carving Knife.
The Global is about 57 Rockwell and is a general consumer Japanese knife. I have found the edge retention on this to be rather disappointing and would recommend a Wusthof. However the Global is perfect for carving meat and I use it on the spit over a fire which is what is great about the metal handle.
Image

Miyabi Artisan Bread Knife SG2 about 63 Rockwell, this bread knife is a stunner.
Image

My moms Wusthof classic on the left next to my Wusthof Icon on the right. The icon has a wooden handle and a smaller bolster (easier to sharpen). This is great for frozen foods and meat with bones etc.
Image

Miyabi Birchwood 180mm Santoku 5000 MCD with a Rockwell of 63. This is a serious performer with vegetables.
Image

Gihei 180mm Gyuto Hap 40 up to 66 Rockwell, my word did this Knife take a sharp edge. However a knife like this can chip easily and needs to be used with care ok a wooden chopping board.
Image

Shibata Kotetsu 180mm Bunka SG2 63 Rockwell
And
Yu Kurosaki Fujin 210mm Gyuto VG10 61 Rockwell
Image

Most of these Knife have a core steel which is the main material with a clad of a stainless steel for rust and corrosion prevention.

The Japanese forge their knives, through this process they make the grain in the metal smaller and more uniform, this allows for a sharper and more refined / smoother edge.

So this is where my passion and appreciation has come from for Japanese Straight Razors. With the Japanese forging their razors and many others grinding from blanks, there is a distinct difference in the craftsmanship gone into the different razors. This is just my thoughts :)

Awesome knife collection ShavingB


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mikaar
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:23 pm

Re: Kitchen Knives

Postby ShavingB » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:19 pm

Thank you @Mikaar


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
ShavingB
 
Posts: 631
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 6:12 pm
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Kitchen Knives

Postby JHBBlade » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:57 pm

https://youtu.be/lsNX2L88eys

A very interesting video.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
JHBBlade
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:26 am

Re: Kitchen Knives

Postby RiverValleyTrading » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:23 pm

JHBBlade wrote:https://youtu.be/lsNX2L88eys

A very interesting video.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
Wow! Great video. Really enjoyed seeing a master at work.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk
This is how my Grandfather shaved
This is how my Father shaved
This is how I shave.


http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/seller/306126/RiverValleyTrading
User avatar
RiverValleyTrading
Commercial Vendor
 
Posts: 9598
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Durban

Re: Kitchen Knives

Postby JHBBlade » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:19 am

Since watching I've been wondering... Where do you buy meteorites?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
JHBBlade
 
Posts: 1996
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:26 am


Return to Food, Wine & Spirits

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
cron